Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 10 February 2019 at 9:36AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 151.3K views

Replies

• CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Both are a store-cupboard staple for me, but they were the usual price of 75p when I went in on Saturday.

Definitely 69p last week (I checked the receipt before posting). Do Store Managers have discretion to reduce prices locally to clear excess stock?
    Ex Board Guide
  • kinger101kinger101 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aldi go some great Angus Ribeye steaks. Never buy ground coffee there though. Porridge oats are good value too.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Definitely 69p last week (I checked the receipt before posting). Do Store Managers have discretion to reduce prices locally to clear excess stock?
    Checked in my fridge and my recently-opened jar is full of fluffy white mould :cry:

My loss, the bin's gain.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreenQueen wrote: »
    I've heard other people say that, but I've never had an issue. Ours are better quality than the local Tesco. Suspect it depends very much on the branch.

I bought some premium pears. They were awful, no flavour at all. Don’t know if I got a rogue pack.
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a plum crumble tart from Lidl. Very good and not too sweet. You have to defrost it then cook it so not a quick pud but well worth waiting for. Serves a generous 8 portions.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • dianasnandianasnan Forumite
    585 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    If you still have the receipt take it back for a refund . I recently bought a bag of King Edward potatos which were black when peeled. took them back for no quibble refund.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More random price reductions:-

At Lidl:-

- Anti-bacterial Handwash (500ml) - 55p

- Coconut Oil/Avocado Oil Spread - 50p (*)

At Aldi:-

- Piccolo's Thin Breadsticks - 29p (*)

At both:-

- 8x Ice Cream Wafers (vanilla or neopolitan) - £1.35

- Sliced Chicken Breast - £1.49

(*) Could be local manager's clearance price.
    Ex Board Guide
  • DanipatDanipat Forumite
    56 posts
    Last week I bought the new beetroot burgers in Aldi and they were lovely. I also bought a cauliflower cheese crumble tart and that was absolutely delicious!!
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a beautiful lemon tree for £18.99 from Lidl this evening. I was looking for something to thrive in the conservatory and was perusing the ornamental oranges and suddenly spotted some huge lemons amongst the foliage :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PLRFDPLRFD Forumite
    893 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    All you need now is a gin tree.