Scammed from Gumtree Advert

Options

Comments

• LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP posting personal details of the seller (however right you think you are) is against MSE rules. You should remove them ASAP.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 January 2019 at 10:39PM
    Options
    It could be days , even weeks before the op logs back in..:)

Here's a link about r & m metal collectors limited of Nottingham that is fine by the rules

https://www.yell.com/biz/randm-metal-collectors-ltd-nottingham-9015586/
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    You know if you want a second hand washer there’s several on google going into Nottingham. It’s a risk getting one off someone you don’t know though as they might have had it years
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    Why didn't you attempt to have the original w/m repaired? Unless it was something terminal like the drum bearings, then it would probably cost you less than £85. Nothing wrong with buying via Gumtree, but better to pick a private seller. £85 is way too expensive for a used machine, unless it's a Miele. You can buy new for £200, though of course at that price you'll be lucky if they last 2 years.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • hollydays
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Why didn't you attempt to have the original w/m repaired? Unless it was something terminal like the drum bearings, then it would probably cost you less than £85. Nothing wrong with buying via Gumtree, but better to pick a private seller. £85 is way too expensive for a used machine, unless it's a Miele. You can buy new for £200, though of course at that price you'll be lucky if they last 2 years.

I don't think £85 would have been excessive for used machine, that was working, delivered to your home.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The most distressing thing about these types of scams is that they target the very people who can least afford to lose the money. OP, I do hope you can get some redress.

In the meantime, place a "Wanted" add on Freecycle. I've often seen whole kitchens advertised where people are having a complete refit, and the appliances don't fit the new layout/colour scheme. Certainly worth a try.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    The most distressing thing about these types of scams is that they target the very people who can least afford to lose the money. OP, I do hope you can get some redress.

In the meantime, place a "Wanted" add on Freecycle. I've often seen whole kitchens advertised where people are having a complete refit, and the appliances don't fit the new layout/colour scheme. Certainly worth a try.

Or try charity shops. Some sell 2nd hand electrical and at least they will have been checked. Might be a few pounds more but worth the peace of mind.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Tofu_eater
    Options
    About a year and a half ago I was looking at getting a new washing machine sorted.I did quite a bit of surfing looking at the options for buying secondhand.I saw an advert on gumtree that seemed a bit too good to be true ,offering delivery etc,I was curious if it might be a scam,did lots more surfing and found loads of people talking about how they had been scammed buying a washing machine from the same place.This was in Bristol.I wonder if it was the same person and he operates nationwide?Surely it's unlikely that there is someone else doing the same thing scamming people with washing machines ,even though the areas are really far from each other.Sorry I can't be much more help.Sorry you got scammed.
  • Tofu_eater
    Options
    So obviously how this works is that he knew that you would need to get this 'jubilee clip' and that would mean he could get the cash and be able to leave without you twigging that the washing machine didn't work? (sorry,I know I am probably stating the obvious)
  • hollydays
    edited 28 January 2019 at 7:49PM
    Options
    Tofu_eater wrote: »
    About a year and a half ago I was looking at getting a new washing machine sorted.I did quite a bit of surfing looking at the options for buying secondhand.I saw an advert on gumtree that seemed a bit too good to be true ,offering delivery etc,I was curious if it might be a scam,did lots more surfing and found loads of people talking about how they had been scammed buying a washing machine from the same place.This was in Bristol.I wonder if it was the same person and he operates nationwide?Surely it's unlikely that there is someone else doing the same thing scamming people with washing machines ,even though the areas are really far from each other.Sorry I can't be much more help.Sorry you got scammed.
    It's entirely likely there are lots people are dropping off things for cash that dont work.Its the way of the world .
    In addition there are whole warehouse that offload non working electrical goods to willing buyers.
    I remember threads on here about dealers in Yorkshire selling very poor quality sofas, through Facebook ,without receipts and very difficult to trace .
    It's an old story, where there are vulnerable people , without their own transport, there's an angle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure