Scammed from Gumtree Advert

Options
Before I start, this is entirely and completely my own fault. I should have been a little more diligent and not tried to "Do it on the cheap". Scam artists are always on the look out for people like me.

So, my washing machine broke down and I cannot afford a new one so I looked in Gumtree Nottingham and there was a vast choice of reasonably priced machines. I picked one, called the number and a friendly helpful chap took my order and arranged delivery.

Next day, on time the machine arrived in a very old battered van, but hey ho, It was second hand.

The guy left it with me as I needed a jubilee clip to instal the waste hose. I did this later that day and set the machine up, filled it and pressed "Start".

Half an hour later the machine had not done anything but tripped into fault made, displaying an error code. I sent a text to the seller who told me it was over loaded. It wasn't, but I removed half to the items and set it going again. Nothing.

I called the chap again, and was told a new machine would arrive next day. It didn't I called again and was put through to voicemail. I called and text at least 10 times, and nothing.

I went to the adverts, of which there were many, to see where his shop was. No address. I pulled out the receipt, which was from a duplicate book, but no address.

Alarm bells rang. I used a different phone and got through to "Johnny" who said a new machine was on route and would be with me in 10 minutes. 2 hours later I rang, voicemail. Texts ignored. I left messages, but nothing.

His voicemail introduced hi as Ryans Metal, so I googled this and his number and sure enough, adverts on Gumtree to metal collection. I searched for a waste operators licence and nothing.

I dug a little deeper on Google and found the same mobile number attached to another company, R&M Metal recyclers. This company had a Yell page with a photo of our elusive |Johnny" and a very poorly written advert, completely illiterate. This company had a licence and it is registered to an address, which turns out to be a flat in Nottingham,

I cannot find a name for "Johnny", but know he also uses Ryan.

I want to sue him in the Small Claims Court. But need to know who he is. He is careful not to let his name be known, or show where his business premises are. This is of course, an offence under the business names act, but Gumtree do not care about this.

If anyone can show me a way to trace this man so that I can go to Trading Standards and sue I would be so grateful.

On his Yell page he has 2 very ad reviews, he clearly rips people off a lot.

The lies that this man spews forth are elementary and unclever.

As I said, this is entirely my own fault because a simple bit of "looking" deep would have set alarms bells ringing.

I think it important that this man is exposed for his dodgy dealings and people see him for what he is. If this post stops one person from being ripped off by this character, then good.

The number he uses now, which I am sure he will change is 07379 301722

He lists his company as Ltd on Yell, but no such company exists at Companies House, so a another flagrant breach of the law.

So yes, if any of you posses super sleuth skills and can help me identify this crook so that I can inform the proper authorities, I would be very happy.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contact companies house and report it. Although they don't appear to be as helpful as they used to be.

I reported something a few years back and had a good chat with them (via emails). Queried something a few months back and they were not helpful at all.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Trading Standards may already know of him from the searches you’ve already done. Perhaps contact them for advice and further information that may lead to court proceedings. It might be a difficult one to gain sufficient proof of mis-selling though, as you’ve seen from your searches already. Gumtree should also be made aware as the seller is breaching their T&C’s.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    The photo shows him standing in front of his van (W246XFC) which is untaxed (there's a surprise).

Here's their registered address:
    https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/waste-carriers-brokers/registration/CBDL210395?__pageState=result-all
  • snapdoodle
    snapdoodle Posts: 109 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2019 at 5:42PM
    Options
    The photo shows him standing in front of his van (W246XFC) which is untaxed (there's a surprise).

Here's their registered address:
    https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/waste-carriers-brokers/registration/CBDL210395?__pageState=result-all

OP, using his address from the above link report his untaxed vehicle to the DVLA. With a bit of luck he'll have his car clamped and removed!

*Edit* Scrap that (pardon the pun) I've reported it myself for you!!! :j
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    The van in the picture is also showing as uninsured. (and yes, I know that I was breaking the terms of the Askmid site by checking up on it).
    It's possible that it's no longer on the road so lack of tax and insurance don't matter but then again, maybe the keeper is someone who just doesn't care about tax & insurance.

df94ddac-3e80-4391-a409-e24c22fefc98_image_jpeg.jpg
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He looks like the type to go around collecting scrap metal and old appliances and reselling them. Very similar to the old DVD/VCR scam.

I remember taking my Dads 2 year old LCD TV to the dump (the inbuilt power had burnt out. There was a guy hanging around who shouted own that he wanted it. I knew instantly that he wanted it to scam someone so I pretended not to hear him and smashed it by launching it into the recycling container.
    The man without a signature.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 January 2019 at 10:34PM
    Options
    A rotten trick, particularly for something like a washing machine which people can't do without.

I would also discuss his licence with the environment agency, first , explain your situation, do that first. Come back and tell us what they say .
    I'd speak to yellow pages and inform them he's advertising as a limited company when he's not, and possible never has been.
    How far do you live from Stapleford, could you visit the electoral roll office to find out his address.

If he's canny, that vehicle won't even be one he uses, one of his relatives listed scrap cars as one of the things they purchase .
  • deanr
    deanr Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 28 January 2019 at 5:15PM
    Options
    UPDATE====UPDATE====UPDATE

I have the rogues full name and address now.

{Edited by Forum Team}. This is the address he uses for his waste recycling licence, and his office. It is actually a flat and residential address.

A kind contributor on here found his facebook page and messaged me with it. It is him, and so I now have a name and address to trading standards and to sue.

Today I had an engineers report done on this machine. The motor module has gone, the suspension has collapsed and the road tray smashed by the concrete blast weight. It also has current going through the chassis.

On his facebook page is a photo of him with his truck and a load of washing machines on the back, as scrap. I wonder, as one person said above, does he take in scrap and then just sell machines as working.

It is just £85 and normally I would take the advice of one person above and cut my losses. However, this is a serial conman and scammer and he needs to be brought to justice. I have considerable resource in this area, my girlfriend is a commercial Barrister, and most of her family are lawyers and judges, so I get good advice and know how to compile a compelling case.

I intend to petition Gumtree to ban this man from advertising due to breach of several laws, who knows if they will do anything.

The main thing is that {Edited by Forum Team} must show up in search results for the man he is. People need to be warned. I maintain, this was my own stupid fault, but if I can stop one person form being ripped off by this rogue, then that is a good thing.

Than you for comments, messages and help, it has been worthwhile opening this thread.
  • deanr
    Options
    BTW, he does not drive this van now, on his facebook page he has a newer one. I will get the details and see if it is taxed and insured.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Read this

https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/business-information-and-support/business-and-trading-licences-and-permits/scrap-metal-dealers
    "The licensing council must not issue or renew a scrap metal licence unless it is satisfied that the applicant is a suitable person to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure