Gas boiler money saving question

Options

Comments

• Banger696
    Options
    So I had an accredited Worcestor Bosch installer round tonight and he advises me a combi on the wall of the garage or utility room is the best bet. It would be too much hassle to get a free standing conventional system up to spec with the tank probably need replacing too as well as possible asbestos flue. Hmm this is getting more complicated.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Banger696 wrote: »
    I have also contacted Eon for an ECO grant for a new boiler where I would pay £240 towards the cost of a new boiler.
    Have you got anywhere with this?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Banger696
    Options
    8 weeks for a decision on the Eon grant with similar combi WB boiler.
  • Banger696
    Options
    Two quotes for combi boiler, £4k and £3495 - blimey.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Banger696 wrote: »
    Two quotes for combi boiler, £4k and £3495 - blimey.
    My theory is that combis were invented as a money earner for the gas trade; they started off as a good idea for small units (flats with little space) but when they realised they had a very limited lifetime (originally less than 10 years) some bright spark (pun intended) decided to push them more widely...brilliant idea.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Banger696
    Options
    I think you're right, the pressure is on to have a combi fitted as a conventional I have been quoted for is more expensive.
  • Banger696
    Options
    Would asbestos panels and flue stop an engineer working on the boiler, I am hoping to get my old Potterton Diplomat 82 fixed tomorrow. Been quoted £80 for new thermocouple and supplied Honeywell gas valve?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's a fair price.

Asbestos only becomes an issue if it is disturbed. There are millions of tons of it left in place if suitably sealed and labelled.

Your engineer could refuse, but you wont know unless you tell him beforehand.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't have to have a Worcester Bosch, though in my experience it can be hard to find an installer who will recommend anything else - I suppose they get a good kickback on them, which may explain why they're so expensive. That and all the advertising they do.
  • Banger696
    Options
    Well the pilot is fixed but the bad news is the boiler is on its last legs as the heat exchanger is leaking and could last days or weeks according to the engineer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure