Can anyone recommend a good cheap laptop

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I've never paid anyone a penny to service my cars. Likewise I have never paid anyone a penny for computer repairs.

But you always have such bad experiences dont you? Bad experiences of garages, bad experiences of PC repairers. You seem very unlucky....

It's interesting that the OP has said "my laptop is on the way out". Why has nobody told him how to get it repaired? Surely that should be done instead of suggesting new (or old) replacements.

Not up to me to judge what other people do or how they spend their money, and not up to us to form a consensus on what someone else should be doing. They've asked for advice on a new laptop, thats what people have been doing.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    But you always have such bad experiences dont you? Bad experiences of garages, bad experiences of PC repairers. You seem very unlucky....Not up to me to judge what other people do or how they spend their money, and not up to us to form a consensus on what someone else should be doing. They've asked for advice on a new laptop, thats what people have been doing.

I've had poor car repairs and read surveys showing poor car servicing standards but I've never taken a car to a garage for a service. I've never met a PC repairer. I just do my own. I said that for laptops I would buy one for just over £200 with minimum acceptable spec. When it no longer provides adequate service get another. You quickly formed a consensus that that was wrong.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 12:59PM
    Options
    I've had poor car repairs and read surveys showing poor car servicing standards but I've never taken a car to a garage for a service. I've never met a PC repairer. I just do my own. I said that for laptops I would buy one for just over £200 with minimum acceptable spec. When it no longer provides adequate service get another. You quickly formed a consensus that that was wrong.

As i said, you seem very unlucky given your posting history and "recommendations" with regards to receiving poor standards from garages and pc repairers.

Yes, the consensus was formed on here that spending £200 ish on a poverty spec consumer grade cheap laptop then throwing it away as soon as it inevitably fails perhaps isnt the most effective way to have a laptop. They are designed to have "showroom appeal" and the quality required for longevity just isnt in them.

As has been pointed out by many of us - even Everywhere and people should know better than to argue with him - a pre-owned / refurbed business quality laptop will offer a better solution in terms of VFM, ease of repair and longevity.

Sorry if you dont get that - although no doubt you'll know someone who was done over / robbed by a laptop reseller....
  • ukbfg
    ukbfg Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2019 at 1:44PM
    Options
    A Chromebook sounds perfect for your needs:-
    https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromebook

They're basically laptops that run Google's Chrome OS Operating system instead of Windows and are perfect for web browsing.

They're cheap, secure (No antivirus or malware needed and no worries about ransomware), run a lot better with lower spec hardware and generally going to give a lot better experience and last a lot longer than a cheap Windows machine (I still have a 5 or 6 years old Chromebook that performs as well as it ever did and much better than my modern Windows laptop, which is often running out of memory).

You can pick them up from around £150-300 for the cheaper ones and for that money they'll completely destroy a Windows machine of the same cost.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    ukbfg wrote: »
    A Chromebook sounds perfect for your needs:-
    google.com/intl/en_uk/chromebook (I'm not allowed to post proper links yet. Just copy and paste it into a new tab, or maybe someone else will be kind enough to quote and fix it).

They're basically laptops that run Google's Chrome OS Operating system instead of Windows and are perfect for web browsing.

They're cheap, secure, run a lot better with lower spec hardware and generally going to give a lot better experience and last a lot longer than a cheap Windows machine (I still a 5 or 6 years old Chromebook that performs as well as it ever did and much better than my modern Windows laptop, which is often running out of memory).

You can pick them up from around £150-300 for the cheaper ones and for that money they'll completely destroy a Windows machine of the same cost.

My Windows laptop is more than eleven years old and can do lot more than your new or 5 or 6 year old Chromebook.

Old rope for those who understand little.
  • ukbfg
    edited 11 January 2019 at 12:01PM
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    My Windows laptop is more than eleven years old and can do lot more than your new or 5 or 6 year old Chromebook.

Old rope for those who understand little.

Really? What spec is this 11 year old laptop and how much did it cost at the time? How many windows reinstalls have you had to do in 11 years? how many new versions of Windows have you had to buy? How much mal and ad and ransom ware have you had to deal with?

Windows sucks for those that don't need to run Windows applications and that number decreases every day.

The OP already specified it's mostly for browsing, so why would it matter?
  • ukbfg
    edited 11 January 2019 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Since you like HP and want a bigger screen, this looks okay (I only had a quick look):-

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromebook/device/hp-chromebook-14-g5

The only thing that may be tricky is playing Windows games, but there's Android games/apps available now , as well as LINUX and I think you can run Wndows games using WIne, but that would require a bit of investigation if you're considering it.
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The only thing that may be tricky is playing Windows games, but there's Android games/apps available now , as well as LINUX and I think you can run Wndows games using WIne, but that would require a bit of investigation if you're considering it.
    Mmm, games and laptops don't normally go well together, unless you spend lots £££, definitely not on a 2-300£ laptop (unless of course, as I said earlier, you only play Solitaire).
    So rather than 'Chromebooks' are not good at running Windows games, I would say 'don't expect much on any laptop on that level, Windows or Chromebook'.
  • ukbfg
    Options
    arciere wrote: »
    Mmm, games and laptops don't normally go well together, unless you spend lots £££, definitely not on a 2-300£ laptop (unless of course, as I said earlier, you only play Solitaire).
    So rather than 'Chromebooks' are not good at running Windows games, I would say 'don't expect much on any laptop on that level, Windows or Chromebook'.

Good point. Depends what type of games I guess, but yeah, proper gaming laptops cost a fortune.

That possibly makes a CHromebook an even better idea then, as they can run Android apps and games now, of which there are 1000's. So there's a whole host of extra possibilities (a lot that wouldn't even be possible on a Window machine!).
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Really? What spec is this 11 year old laptop and how much did it cost at the time? How many windows reinstalls have you had to do in 11 years? how many new versions of Windows have you had to buy? How much mal and ad and ransom ware have you had to deal with?

Windows sucks for those that don't need to run Windows applications and that number decreases every day.

The OP already specified it's mostly for browsing, so why would it matter?

Cost £300 in 2007. Three Windows installs. First XP, then Windows 7 and now Windows 10 Pro.
    Haven't purchased any versions of Windows. AMD Turion 64 x 2 TL60, 4 GB of RAM, 120 GB SSD.

The clear point is that the Windows laptop is still in use at eleven years old+ and still more versatile than your doubly dumbed down device. Which games will the Chromebook play?

Browserwise, I can utilise Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Epic....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure