£150 switch incentive from NatWest (2019)

Options

Comments

• moneysavinggirl40
    moneysavinggirl40 Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 January 2019 at 12:42AM
    Options
    can't believe that! i honestly thought i haven't done a switch last year but i must have done. Nat west pointed out by online mailbox I've already had my switching bonus a year ago, so can't claim this time. I'm so deflated. :(How could i have thought i didn't snap up last times promotions ?! Silly me. Oh well i've opened an account ready for a switch.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    When I applied, I requested a switch date of 25th January (i.e. tomorrow), which was the earliest date I could select.

I've only just today received my "Welcome to NatWest" email, and two text messages to say my debit card and PIN have been sent out.

Will they really be able to complete the CASS tomorrow?
    If the account is open then they can switch into it.

However, for anyone considering switching a 'main' current account, i.e. one where delayed access to their money could be problematic, this is why it's always best to ensure that the new account is fully operational and tested (paying in and withdrawing) before a switch is done, rather than jumping at the earliest possible date....
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    If the account is open then they can switch into it.

Just had a text message from them saying the switch will be completed on 31/01/19. Don't care really, but I've got a DD coming out supposedly on 02/02/19 (which is a Saturday so presumably it'll actually go out on the Monday), which is a bit close for comfort. I was hoping the switch would happen during a 'quiet' period on the account.
  • MsVincy
    Options
    The T and C's are very ambiguous.
    I plan to switch a dormant Barclays current account over to my existing Natwest Account. I called Natwest beforehand and was told by the rep that to meet the criteria I had to transfer at least 2 direct debits also. The T & C make no mention of this. The guy I spoke with accepted that this was not specified online, but said it would be rejected otherwise.
    Anyway, I've made an application nonetheless so will see if I get the money.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    MsVincy wrote: »
    The T and C's are very ambiguous.
    I plan to switch a dormant Barclays current account over to my existing Natwest Account. I called Natwest beforehand and was told by the rep that to meet the criteria I had to transfer at least 2 direct debits also. The T & C make no mention of this. The guy I spoke with accepted that this was not specified online, but said it would be rejected otherwise.
    Anyway, I've made an application nonetheless so will see if I get the money.

I don't see any ambiguity in the T&Cs.

"2. Existing customers who already have an NW Select, Reward, Select Silver, Reward Silver, Select Platinum, Reward Platinum,
    Black or Reward Black account (‘eligible current account’) opened prior to 7 January 2019, must:
    (a) transfer a non-NW current account to your existing eligible current account (which includes closing your non-NW current
    account and moving all your payment instructions to your eligible current account) using the Current Account Switch
    Service online or through a branch;
    (b) deposit £1,500 into your eligible current account; and
    (c) log into our online or mobile banking service,
    before 22 March 2019."

There is no mention of a requirement to switch 'at least 2 direct debits'. As is often the case, the NatWest rep was making up his own T&Cs:cool:
  • MsVincy
    Options
    @ badger09

I did take that view in the end, hence my application. However, I became a little worried when he said that his "script" read differently from the online T & C's so he would speak to his team to update this.

Incidentally, I received a text today from Natwest confirming that the switch process will start soon. I'll wait and see......
  • gezellig
    gezellig Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 8 February 2019 at 2:37PM
    Options
    I applied to switch to Natwest and computer said yes. I set the switch to happen at the earliest opportunity and received in the meantime lots of emails and text telling how it was progressing. Once i had online banking access, I deposited a token amount to check all was ok. I then depositied 1500, and found I could only remove a max 500 per day, as a new account, after 3 days my money had been moved out.

the switch completed this monday, and by wednesday I had lost access to online banking. I now know my account is going to be closed and am awaiting a letter.

The annoying thing is, this is the first time I've opened an account, switched and then had it closed. I know the bank can do this, this wasn't going to be my main account but I have lost my one donor bank account doing this, for nothing. Maybe lumping the 1500 in so soon and removing 500 a day was a bad idea, I don't know.

In short: it seems natwest cannot manually decline (for whatever reason) an application until the switch has been completed.
  • gezellig
    Options
    They had originally disabled my online banking access, and I called them to get it re-enabled and the man told me basically they have decided to close it and i'll get a letter with info on the money in my account.

I've since discovered they are pretty strong on using an AVU unit to close peoples accounts. This has been my first natwest account (apart from a piggy bank account as a child).

ps There is absolutely no reason for them to close my account re cifas, or anything.
  • gezellig
    Options
    temptation to get a branded Child and co debit card got the better of me and I applied on the tuesday for one through rbs obviously. I was accepted again and debit card and pin etc came through.

This will be closed also, as they are connected. This is all probably because I'm borderline accept or something and you cannot tell that by a computer saying yes. Maybe the fact that I applied for the rbs account triggered something. Its a pity as I would probably have started using the Child card as my main bank account. It is their loss though.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow a few nice 1st posts from new ones to make this post interesting

:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income