How to encourage fly tippers.

Options

Comments

• Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 January 2019 at 6:01PM
    Options
    They have this at my local tip. I just show them my driving licence. One of the neighbours got a letter recently saying that he had been to many times (5 I think) in the last month.
    Come on you Irons
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's simply an attempt to stop Trade refuse from being tipped there.
    Trade refuse is charged at a higher rate than domestic.

It's nothing to do with stopping people from neighbouring boroughs
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Your council will be able to provide a better answer than us on here.

"us on here" have a wide collection of knowledge and experience. Mine includes 10 years working for a Waste Authority.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    It's nothing to do with stopping people from neighbouring boroughs

Do you have some evidence to substantiate your assertion?

OP states that is the reason.

The Blackburn Council website says

"proof that you live in the borough will need to be shown to the site staff before you are allowed to dispose of waste."

and

"The HWRCs are provided to allow residents of the Borough to deliver their own domestic waste from their own homes within the Borough.
    Proof of residency will be required to use the sites from 1 February 2019"

And it as a matter of fact that for some people, their nearest recycling centre is in a neighbouring Borough. For example, people in Egerton are closer to the Blackburn's Darwen recycling site than to their own Council's site in Bolton.

Although this is an area of professional expertise, I'm always happy to be proved wrong!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our tip has ANPR and it is a two-fold check - it checks if you are local (which is great if you go in a company car!) and it only allows you to visit 4 times per calendar month.
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Actually these issues are not universal - my council
    does not ask for proof of address at tips
    has no limit of the number of times you go
    still does free collections of bulky waste (up to 9 items).

Unfortunately they are all closed 2 days a week so you need to go further if you pick the wrong day, but that is minor inconvenience
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Do you have some evidence to substantiate your assertion?
    Yes. You provide it yourself here:
    Nick_C wrote: »
    "The HWRCs are provided to allow residents of the Borough to deliver their own domestic waste from their own homes within the Borough."
    It is primarily so that Trade waste is not dumped and, most especially, so that Tradesmen (from far and wide) who charge a fee for removing waste are not further subsidised by a Council service.
    However, I concede that people from neighbouring boroughs may also be excluded if their own local Council does not provide the same level of free service.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Our county council did a consultation and as a result closed 3 tips. They were warned that there would be more fly tipping as people have to travel 10/20 miles to the nearest tip. We're waiting for the next complaint that this has happened and they want to up the council tax to cover the difference between clearing it up and the fines levied.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    As from this week, anybody going to the council tip in my town has to take proof of address with them to stop out of towners using the facility.
    What is the point of this? Surely anybody going to a tip is a responsible person, if they go to the tip and forget proof they will get turned away.
    Honestly can't understand the mentality behind this idea.
    Never expect intelligence or common sense from a council.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    My local council tip doesn't check cars, but they do pull aside vans and ask you to show the rental agreement (to make sure it's not a commercial van).

Last time I was there in a van emblazoned with the Co-Wheels logo, and they asked for the rental agreement. Unfortunately I didn't have one, as Co-Wheels vehicles are booked through an app and you just collect the van from the street it happens to be parked on. You don't visit an office and don't get any paperwork.

The guy didn't really know what to do at first, but agreed to accept the confirmation email of the booking as proof it wasn't commercial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure