We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• SunMoonStars
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »

Blueberries are ripening, and so we picking small handfuls each day at the moment. Blackcurrants never did much. Debating whether or not to get rid of them for next year, and get gooseberries instead as DH would prefer a gooseberry I think.

Are your blackcurrants newly planted, old, or recently pruned right back? If so it may be worth giving them another season before deciding because they do tend to fruit the most prolifically on the previous year’s wood. They also lose vigour if wood is a few years old too, so it is balance between old and new wood.

HTH
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yes, it is a pain watering, but it's also necessity as it has been very dry again here. Seems to be all or nothing with the rain lately.

Thanks SunMoonStars, I think that could be it. Despite my protests, DH insists on hacking them back (his version of pruning) every year, and is (IMO), very overzealous with it. So I suspect that has affected yield. I wonder if I can convince him to be less brutal? lol

I have picked my first courgette this morning. Woo! lol
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Speaking of blackcurrants, I seem to have ended up with two mahoosive flowering currants that have gone blind :( - I think we pruned after fruiting, not when they were dormant.

unrecordings - I hope your legs are allowing you to get out and about
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 July 2019 at 4:23PM
    Options
    unrecordings - I hope your legs are allowing you to get out and about
    not quite but finally managed to get out this afternoon for a couple of hours and check on things. Courgette apocalypse will soon be upon me, tomatoes are doing nicely, though I seem to have lost a few flowers on the top of some plants (that'll be the hot weather last week I think), also managed to pot on some chillis that have been sat on the bench for a week. Fingers crossed I'm not getting dragged off for a CT scan now, so hopefully tomorrow I can check the other stuff (onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, beetroot, radishes)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    Beans and tomatoes have been suffering from blackfly and whitefly, so treated with some soapy water on Sat night, then washed off sunday morning. Will treat again tomorrow evening, as there are some hanger ons.

if you can find a marigold or tagetes plant it near your tomatoes - it keeps whitefly well away. I always plant a few in the greenhouse at the same time as I plant out the tomatoes - never had a problem with whitefly.

Sowed more seeds yesterday but I still can't find my lost box of seeds. Fortunately I went through all my seeds last week and took out all the ones that can still be sown. Now the box really only contains those seeds where it is too late to sow them, like tomatoes, aubergines etc.

I tried to make a vermin proof bed in the tunnel but gave up as it was so hot and sticky so I've decided to get up early tomorrow and have another go - I'm thinking about 5am should be cool enough - we normally emerge at about 6am anyway.

Tomorrow is a tidy up day and put everything back where it belongs
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes, we are all approaching courgette-apocalypse - I picked three that appeared between Saturday and Tuesday from nothing and were already 12-15cm. Must be vigilant. We don't want marrow-gate (who knew DH was so damaged by stuffed marrows...)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the tip regarding the marigolds. I've just put a planted pot in the greenhouse as flies are all over the peppers.

Nice couple of hours up the plot this morning. Tying in the sweet peas and under the nets weeding the brassicas. Enjoy the sunshine later
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Tabby_cat
    Tabby_cat Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Dear All, This is the first year of early retirement and the first year of growing our own. We had an area of garden remodelled last year, to include a couple of raised beds, and we've a shiny new greenhouse too. I have tried to be restrained with what I grew, but that hasn't worked! In my enthusiasm I've planted Garlic, Broad beans, Cauliflowers, Spinach (which has finished now), mixed Lettuce, Rocket, Spring onions, Carrots, Strawberry's, Peppers (sweet, Padron and various Chillies) Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Courgettes (which haven't done that well so far but I'm still hopeful), Chard and Radishes.

It's the radishes I was hoping for some advice on. As a kid I remember really hot radishes, rather than these watery, crisp things you now get in the supermarkets. This year we've not been too happy with the ones we've grown. They're OK, but not what I'm looking for.

As the title, can any of you good folk recommend a type with some bite, in fact the hotter the better.

PS: I've loved reading this forum and it's quietly given me hope that what I'm doing is OK. Many thanks to all.
  • weenemo
    weenemo Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, we are all approaching courgette-apocalypse - I picked three that appeared between Saturday and Tuesday from nothing and were already 12-15cm. Must be vigilant. We don't want marrow-gate (who knew DH was so damaged by stuffed marrows...)

Goodness, the plant I got from my friend has had a few male flowers - three so far, first one just dying away now. As for actual courgettes - I can see the tiny tiny beginnings of some but nowhere near flowering yet - think they will be super super late. Maybe cooler weather with me is reason they will take longer - that and I keep putting off planting them out...
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tabbycat, hope this helps

https://tamarorganics.co.uk › product
    Web results
    Organic Radish Rosa - Tamar Organics

According to readers digest gardening site, rosa 2 are strong tasting and available from above
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family