System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sounds interesting. Will have to look it up
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,522 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm always doing freezer/store cupboard inventories, then I forget to update them! I really need to start chipping away at things that are overstaying their welcome though. I've just had to replace my fridge freezer (literally yesterday) and that forced me to throw away a lot of half used jars in the fridge. What I thought was half a jar of harissa paste was actually half a jar of mould and the same went for several other jars.

Talking of yo yo debts, I'm now on my third time of getting debt free via MSE, hoping this will be my last time.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »

Talking of yo yo debts, I'm now on my third time of getting debt free via MSE, hoping this will be my last time.

Here's to this time being the very last time for all of us:beer:
  • millionaire_in_training
    Options
    wee question re full and final offers. Do they affect your credit score? I'm up to date with my payments and don't intend defaulting on them so not sure if f&f is for me or not.............help please !
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I admire your patience too with regard to the F&Fs. I was so impatient to be debt free after so many years that I could hardly sleep with impatience. DH and I are yo yo debtors too, which is why I never want a credit card again; I wouldn't trust us with one :o.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've just seen today's email from The Uber Frugal Challenge on the Frugalwoods website. The writer drip feeds a new task every day for the month and today's, by coincidence, is about eating the food that's already in the house:j. I haven't read the article that she's linked to but her style of writing is so good to read and I'm enjoying whatever she has to say. I'll look forward to reading this latest instalment when I get a chance. A lot of what she suggests or writes about isn't relevant to my situation or life-stage but there are always plenty of nuggets of common sense in it and it often helps to spark ideas that can be developed to fit:j. It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks;)

I like Mrs Frugalwoods as well. I'm just re-reading her book at the moment. In her email yesterday she has given me the impetus to wait 72 hours before I buy something that I feel I can't live without to confirm whether it's a necessity!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,662 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you for your very kind words:T. I've seen you elsewhere and it's nice to see you over here too:)

I've already made my first speculative offers and, based on advice on a couple of threads where we discuss our triumphs and failures with F&Fs, I started at 25% payable. It's always possible to go up, no point in pitching too high and being accepted straight away. My offers were turned down, as I expected:(. They countered with what they were prepared to accept which was more like 65% payable but I declined. Not exactly offers I can't refuse:(. It's common for creditors to come back after a few months with a better offer so I'll sit it out for now. I will keep on paying my token £1 a month but won't be contacting them to 'up' my F&F offer. I have enough saved to cover the 65% anyway but I've no intention of paying that much;). The ball's in their court now.

Sounds like a good plan. They usually give better offers if no realistic chance of getting loads more out of you so continuing with the token payment and stressing you are retired and now only have a pension may convince them to accept a lot lower than 65%.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    wee question re full and final offers. Do they affect your credit score? I'm up to date with my payments and don't intend defaulting on them so not sure if f&f is for me or not.............help please !

Hi, you are unlike to get full and finals when paying at normal minimum payments, as far as I am aware.
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,645 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Hi, you are unlike to get full and finals when paying at normal minimum payments, as far as I am aware.

I agree with this 100%.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 6 January 2019 at 8:41AM
    Options

Other posters have already answered your query (thanks enthusiasticsaver, Puzz, beanielou :T:A). I don't think I can add much more useful information but if you haven't done so already I'd recommend you visit the 2 threads which have been priceless to me and many others in picking our way through the debt minefield. There's a lot to read and a lot of chaff to pick the wheat out of but I'm sure you'll find something relevant to your situation. If not, just ask them. The posters are unfailingly helpful and knowledgeable :j.

The first link is to the DMP support thread But I'm not sure if you are repaying your debts on a DMP or not.

http://https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5897083

This link is to the F&F Settlement thread:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=115430

What I can add from personal experience is that if you are up to date with your payments, are paying a reasonable amount and have no good reason why that can't continue and also that you have not been defaulted there wouldn't be much, if any, hope of a F&F. The creditors would feel they are pretty sure of recouping their money eventually and would not need to offer you a discount.

Also, credit files would be marked as 'partially settled' or something similar which will stay on your file from the date the account was settled by F&F. The creditor would undertake never to chase you for the outstanding unpaid balance so in effect it is all settled but that's how the CRA system works. It sounds as if, in your situation, it isn't worth the risk. Despite your debts, can I ask if your credit score is good at the moment? Have you checked to see how your creditors are currently reporting your balance and repayment situation with the CRAs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure