Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Congrats on your new diary carboot. I have often seen your well thought out responses on other diaries so good you now have your own. Inspiring to have cleared that much and look forward to joining you on your final furlong. Hopefully the F and Fs will be good ones. When do you plan to offer and what percentage off are you asking for?

Thank you for your very kind words:T. I've seen you elsewhere and it's nice to see you over here too:)

I've already made my first speculative offers and, based on advice on a couple of threads where we discuss our triumphs and failures with F&Fs, I started at 25% payable. It's always possible to go up, no point in pitching too high and being accepted straight away. My offers were turned down, as I expected:(. They countered with what they were prepared to accept which was more like 65% payable but I declined. Not exactly offers I can't refuse:(. It's common for creditors to come back after a few months with a better offer so I'll sit it out for now. I will keep on paying my token £1 a month but won't be contacting them to 'up' my F&F offer. I have enough saved to cover the 65% anyway but I've no intention of paying that much;). The ball's in their court now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Popping in to say Hi and that I've subscribed.

Thank you:T. I hope you'll keep dropping in:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi there cbc and a belated Happy New Year!

I've followed you over from Harry's diary as I always enjoy your posts and have subscribed. Looking forward to plenty more!

Well done on kicking the majority of your debt into touch - without alerting your OH!

SSG x

Thank you for your very kind words:T. I expect we'll continue to meet on HH's diary and I hope you'll be a regular visitor to mine too:)
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    I've just found your thread and it sounds so positive, that I've subscribed.

I dread to think how much cash OH and I have worked our way through over several bouts of yoyo debting (at least £100k I think), but we are now almost debt-free (£3k and 3 months away according to my spreadsheet).

Determined this will be the last time and I am now going to be a saver, not a spender. Hope you don't mind me joining your journey (I'm going stir crazy on mine - its just me getting really impatient waiting for the next 3 months to pass :rotfl::rotfl:).
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've just found your thread and it sounds so positive, that I've subscribed.

I dread to think how much cash OH and I have worked our way through over several bouts of yoyo debting (at least £100k I think), but we are now almost debt-free (£3k and 3 months away according to my spreadsheet).

Determined this will be the last time and I am now going to be a saver, not a spender. Hope you don't mind me joining your journey (I'm going stir crazy on mine - its just me getting really impatient waiting for the next 3 months to pass :rotfl::rotfl:).

:wave:Lovely to see you. Thanks for dropping in.

I love your phrase 'yoyo debting'. That's exactly what it's been like for me too:o. It beggars belief the number of times I've struggled to become solvent and said 'never again' to racking up debts:(. Here's to this time being the last time for both of us:beer:. Well done on being so near the end and I know what you mean about being impatient to cross the line now it's so close. It's like a child waiting for Christmas IMO;)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My offers were turned down, as I expected:(. They countered with what they were prepared to accept which was more like 65% payable but I declined. Not exactly offers I can't refuse:(. It's common for creditors to come back after a few months with a better offer so I'll sit it out for now. I will keep on paying my token £1 a month but won't be contacting them to 'up' my F&F offer. I have enough saved to cover the 65% anyway but I've no intention of paying that much;). The ball's in their court now.
    Thats really impressive, CBC - I'm really rubbish at leisurely negotiation, so I love the sound of that.

Horrified at the timestamps on your posts, though, do you have insomnia? :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 5 January 2019 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Thats really impressive, CBC - I'm really rubbish at leisurely negotiation, so I love the sound of that.

Horrified at the timestamps on your posts, though, do you have insomnia? :(

Thanks, KC:T

Sadly, I have the patience of a saint with people and animals but not with myself. Once I've finally given myself a kick up the rear to stop procrastinating I need to get things done in an unrealistic timeframe. I have great plans for sitting it out and waiting for my creditors to make the next move but the suspense is already getting to me:eek:. Mustn't weaken though after coming so far;). I hope stubbornness will prevail:j

As for your kind query about insomnia the answer is 'no' but I do have neuralgia:(. It comes and goes sporadically especially during the coldest weather. I was outside a lot yesterday in the freezing cold and the pain began as soon as I got into bed. No use just lying there so I decided to get up and do things to distract me. Several cups of tea and some painkillers later and I felt much better by morning. I expect I'll be nodding off in my recliner chair this afternoon. I've become like my Granny but I keep forgetting I am the same age as she was when she seemed like such an old lady to me:eek:
  • redofromstart
    Options
    CBC I'm a sucker for store cupboard type challenges, and the resulting odd concoctions. Some of our best meals have happened that way. It's a source of some comfort in times of financial famine when I can look and see just how much food we have stashed away.

I do a few butter bean and X stews. Usually with chorizo if we have some, but just with lots of paprika if we don't. Chicken or pork works, tomato based mainly.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    CBC I'm a sucker for store cupboard type challenges, and the resulting odd concoctions. Some of our best meals have happened that way. It's a source of some comfort in times of financial famine when I can look and see just how much food we have stashed away.

I do a few butter bean and X stews. Usually with chorizo if we have some, but just with lots of paprika if we don't. Chicken or pork works, tomato based mainly.

Thanks very much for the butter bean hints:T, I was already thinking of using some to bulk out casseroles etc. I don't have any chorizo in (in fact I can't recall the year when I last bought any) but certainly have plenty of paprika! That's something else I double-bought once upon a time:o. I also have some passata, tinned tomatoes galore and several bits and bobs of frozen pork and ham. Definitely something there to concoct a tasty dinner or two with:j. I'm making myself feel hungry now:rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 5 January 2019 at 4:29PM
    Options
    I've just seen today's email from The Uber Frugal Challenge on the Frugalwoods website. The writer drip feeds a new task every day for the month and today's, by coincidence, is about eating the food that's already in the house:j. I haven't read the article that she's linked to but her style of writing is so good to read and I'm enjoying whatever she has to say. I'll look forward to reading this latest instalment when I get a chance. A lot of what she suggests or writes about isn't relevant to my situation or life-stage but there are always plenty of nuggets of common sense in it and it often helps to spark ideas that can be developed to fit:j. It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure