PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2019

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just finished Dear Cancer, TV presenter Victoria Derbyshire,s account of her mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiology in 2015. A very honest account of her low moments, including the effect the loss of her hair had on her.

Undoubtedly an inspiration for many of those undergoing a similar process but I suspect there will also be some people in that condition who are more private or do not have the similar financial resources or support of family, friends and a wider circle who might feel overwhelmed by trying to cope with all they suddenly find themselves facing.
  • sunset_gold
    Options
    Finally picked up Robert Galbraith Lethal White from the library, has been on order since November 2018; a Strike novel which follows on from where the tv drama finished. Must say first three books were portrayed almost exactly to the books, hope they make this one for tv also.

Couldn’t work out how to post url link for photo from iPad ��
  • gettingtheresometime
    gettingtheresometime Posts: 6,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 February 2019 at 9:46PM
    Options
    Sorry I've not posted much but I've not read much.

However having been away I managed to finish 2 books whilst I've recently found finished
    1-D9-BB355-48-E9-43-EC-A469-28-BE2876573-E.jpg

DFDBE217-7-D64-4-E74-B5-C2-3-AC3-D8-CE878-C.jpg

Down to the woods was an ok read but the books are starting to feel formulaistic

Love Iris was a good read not chick lity but on the edge (if that makes sense)

Currently reading

F57-DCAE1-E3-AC-4284-93-AC-8-BD51593-DABE.jpg

But finding it very weird so not sure if I'll stick with it
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I've got The Stone Circle by Elly Griffiths to read tomorrow.

Only the 5th book I've read this year so far.:D
  • loocyloo
    Options
    I've been AWOL for a while! ... Life has a habit of getting in the way, although I have been reading lots of books! sadly though, few of which have made great enough impressions on me for me to remember them!

The detectives daughter - Lesley Thomson is one I remember, because I then read a few more! ( I think there are 7 in the series - so far ) I enjoyed the first couple, but since then, have got irritated by the style of writing AND the characters!

I have also managed to pick up ( and start, but not read! ) several books where the main character is being 'gaslighted' by someone - the husband, the mother, the friend and it's boring! sorry - I can't remember what they were called!

Just finished today 'The Child Finder' by Rene Denfeld. ... a woman who finds missing children ... but somehow it is more than that. although I sort of guessed, it was still a good read, and I look forward to reading more about the main character.

I keep trying to find non-crime books to read, but I blink, and find myself back in the middle of a crime! :rotfl:
  • loocyloo
    Options

good book! I do like Elly Griffiths books. :D
  • chrissie57
    chrissie57 Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

I am halfway through this and loving it
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Couldn’t work out how to post url link for photo from iPad ��
    Rest your finger on the image for 2 seconds. A menu will appear - select "copy" (the last option) and it will pick up the image url. Paste using the forum image icon in the usual way.

Have had a hard time completing several long-burners this month - am hoping to bring my total to 4 (and a half :D) this month and then post!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    loocyloo wrote: »
    good book! I do like Elly Griffiths books. :D
    chrissie57 wrote: »
    I am halfway through this and loving it

Yes, I love that series. I love the two main characters.:)
    loocyloo wrote: »
    I have also managed to pick up ( and start, but not read! ) several books where the main character is being 'gaslighted' by someone - the husband, the mother, the friend and it's boring! sorry - I can't remember what they were called!

I've read one like that, I wanted to shake the woman as it was so obvious she was being used and she seemed so spineless.:mad: I can't remember the name of the book either.
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    The Mitford Murders was a really good read, kept me guessing till the last moment. I just don't know why she had to take real persons and a real murder when she wants to turn it all around....

Body Work / Night Witch / Black mould - Rivers of London Graphic Novels
    They were ok.... Got some nice details that were never explained in the proper books, but they don't live up to the books at all...

Crooked Heart - Lissa Evans
    A very good read, had me laugh many times

Also read the German translation of a French book by Jean-Philippe Blondel, that didn't got translated into English (Accès direct à la plage). Was a nice Sunday afternoon read, finished the 142 pages in about 1 1/4 hours....

My to-read list:
    The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window and disapperad - Jonas Jonasson
    THe bottom of your heart - Maurizio de Giovanni
    The paying guest - Sarah Waters
    The light years - Elizabeth Jane HOward
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business