PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer, fridge & stores to make another soup
    Minimise: 2 balls of wool for scarves & a non stick pan that is shedding :eek:
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • 2Scratters
    Options
    Make do - made soup & curry from the contents of the fridge. Excess into the freezer
    Minimise - using wool up to make blankets for homeless and young adults moving into own accomodation.
    Mend - Waterproofing boots for trip to Krakow.

short and sweet from me this time.:)
    Anything is better than nothing-check back and see On the declutter journey 2023 with Mrs SD Tilly Tidy 2023 YTD 14.98
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Make Do & Minimise: food from freezers & stores. The hm soup is delicious 😋

Minimise: 2 more balls of wool, clutter from DH’s office either binned, recycled or put in Tip bag, 43 books into CS bag :j

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if this the wrong place then please point me to the correct thread,

Mend--the pu is flaking on my boots, i have rubbed the worst off and then used a leather conditioning/waterproofing balm,

1- is there something i could spray on the boot , perhaps a glue/fabric glue, anything that would dry, create some sort of a sealant on top to prevent anymore future flaking, of course whatever used most probably needs to be flexible.( i did try hairspray:rotfl:)
    2- pu bags are also starting to peel and flake, they were not cheap (for me) and i expected them to last for more than a couple of years. so any tips on preventing flaking on future items, any help at all gratefully received.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    randm - TBH I cant think of anything that would be a flexible clear sealant. What a shame, its so annoying when things still have plenty of life in them but start to look shabby.
    The everyday bags I use were Kipling copies from the market and have stood up to being washed in the machine quite a few times.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    randm wrote: »
    if this the wrong place then please point me to the correct thread,

Mend--the pu is flaking on my boots, i have rubbed the worst off and then used a leather conditioning/waterproofing balm,

1- is there something i could spray on the boot , perhaps a glue/fabric glue, anything that would dry, create some sort of a sealant on top to prevent anymore future flaking, of course whatever used most probably needs to be flexible.( i did try hairspray:rotfl:)
    2- pu bags are also starting to peel and flake, they were not cheap (for me) and i expected them to last for more than a couple of years. so any tips on preventing flaking on future items, any help at all gratefully received.

What about a tent re-waterproofer or something that re waterproofs wax jackets. I've just looked it up on g**gle and there are quite a few - and not too dear either.

Hope that helps
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer & wool from stash (am now on scarf EIGHT!)
    Mend: Nothing

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Make do - food from fridge & freezer
    Mend - DS2's jeans, my top, my jeans
    Minimise - Mending pile!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Camomile
    Options
    Make do: another NOSpend day so dinner from the freezer.
    Mend question: I have a pile of socks that needs to be seen to, haven’t been at it for a while. Why is it always socks that need most of attention?
    Minimize: pile of washing that has been done over the last few days, mess in the kitchen :)
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Must try harder from now on - bad ways creeping in!!

Make do: Made flap jack for visitors instead of buying biscuits, so I didn't have to go to the shops!!

Mend: I don't really have much mending but I am sewing and knitting projects for Xmas pressies and for myself

Minimize: Not really bought in the way of clothes, stuff or much food in November and haven't been shopping yet in December.
    Paper shredding completed and recycled.
    Couple of bags gone to CS and bigger things gone to CS depot
    Food recycling done each week and collected, other recycling now only put out once a month or every six weeks, my ways of shopping have changed throughout this year, but it still could be better.

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills