Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    time to change I second trying to work out your colour palette and the kettlewell colours quizz is a good place to start. Then google to do some further research. The advantage of sticking to one colour palette is that your clothes will compliment each other so you can easily mix and match.

As lessons said, accessories are good place to start - shoes, bags, scarves, hair clips and bags can add a pop of colour to an outfit without being overwhelming.

Wednesday my jersey blazer was from Uniqlo. Don’t think they are selling them anymore, but I’m sure you’ll easily find one.
  • littlegreenparrot
    Options
    Time to change - it's difficult isn't it, I still find I default to black, especially in winter. There was a point years ago though when I decided that I was going to wear stuff I liked, not just any old thing that would fit me. It did help me feel better.

Try looking at dark gray, navy, chocolate brown, plum, to ease into it. All are dark and flattering, but a bit more interesting.
    I'm also a big fan of the right kind of pattern, black leopard print on a dark ground looks fab 😊.

My top tip for dry skin is hemp cream from the body shop, so effective I haven't had to use steroid cream on my eczema prone fingers for years. The smell isn't for everyone though, so make sure to have a whiff before purchase!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love the Body Shop hemp hand cream. It's hugely effective and I really like the earthy smell.:)

I agree about trying other colours than black. I fondly remember a burgundy coloured top from the CS which weaned me off black. :)
  • Time_to_Change_2
    Time_to_Change_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 October 2019 at 9:52PM
    Options
    Thank you ladies, theres some good suggestions there (I suppose I just feel that people will be shocked if I wear just the tiniest bit of colour! I also feel like it draws attention to me and makes me look bigger!
    A bit of background, im about 4 stone over weight but im also very tall so I do tend to stick out from the crowd being so tall but big too :-(
    when I was younger I really used to look after myself always having facials once a month and my hair done regularly. I think the last time I had a facial was over 5 years ago and I never have my hair cut (I dye it myself and never get it right!! so ive just left it, so im an overweight 40 year old with very long hair going grey and large and frumpy. Ive let myself go and its really getting to me, but I just think whats the point! Im surrounded by glamorous thin people and so I feel like I can't compete so whats the point - does that make sense?

I do wear perfume everyday (from this post) and I have my nails done but thats it. Money is tight so I can't just splash out like all my friends.

I suppose ive got myself so low I just need to build myself up now, I dont want to go any lower.

Feel free to tell me to snap out of it, im pretty sure I need it :rotfl:
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Maman - I will look at that link today as that is where I'm going out this week, Camden Town.:A

pollypenny wrote: »

Quite change to a bright blue cardigan and some make up.

I like bright blue.:T
    chanie wrote: »

Wednesday my jersey blazer was from Uniqlo. Don’t think they are selling them anymore, but I’m sure you’ll easily find one.

Oh okay. I will look online.:)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 October 2019 at 10:01AM
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies

Filthy day here. I'm going nowhere.i shall do some painting at some point and just do some general pottering about and tidying up.

Polly.....lovely to see you here. Well done on the "mirror test". And taking immediate action:D

Little green parrot....thanks for the hemp cream advice, I'll definitely try it on my hands. They are not happy. I would prefer to avoid steroid creams too.

Time To Change......I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so low. However, I really can empathise. I've been there. When I first started my frump to fab journey I was in a shocking state. I really had sunk to a very low ebb.

Of course we are not going to tell you to "just snap out of it" but we are going to give you a gentle kick in the derrière to get you on the right track. :rotfl:

Trust me.....you can turn this round, even if you have very little money. I won't lie, it will take some effort on your part and a bit of good old fashioned discipline. Alas there is no such thing as effortless chic. But.....it will be worth it.

And lack of money needn't hold you back. Most of the things you can do don't actually cost much at all, some are even free......

Sleep, exercise, rest, fresh air, drinking plenty of water are all free.

The rest can be done on the cheap........you don't need high end creams and potions, expensive manicures, salon facials and designer clothes. You can do many treatments yourself and as you will read on here many of us are charity shop fans.

You ask "What's the point". Well my darling "YOU are the point". Do it for you, never mind about anyone else. Yes we all compare ourselves to others and more often than not, we then find ourselves wanting.

But Frump to Fab isn't about others.....it's about us. I can't stress this enough.........

DO IT FOR YOU.

Again please just trust me.......once you start you will soon see the snowball effect start to work. And the rewards will be startling. It will transform you, and your life. I'm not going to elaborate on this point because the rewards are different for each of us. However, start making a few simple changes and you will soon start to feel better and happier. I don't quite know how or why but "fabbing" has the power to transform lives in ways we can't begin to imagine......but definitely there's some weird voodoo magic at work.

Where to start??? Maybe your hair. Even if you can't afford to get it professionally cut and coloured just yet - there's still a lot you can do. If it's long and straight, maybe you could just get a friend or family member to just tidy up the ends and help you colour it for now.

Do you have a local beauty college near you. They don't cost much and the stylist will be closely supervised by the tutor so they do a good job.

As for facials......I know a salon facial is nice but you can do your own. Even if it's just a thorough cleanse and face pack you will see a difference.

If you have time today go through your wardrobe, check everything is at least clean and in a good state of repair. Give yourself a mini facial and maybe experiment with your hair.....could you maybe buy a home dye kit and give it a go.

4 stones isn't a lot to lose. I have lost 3. I am aiming to lose another half stone by Christmas but I am actually quite happy as I am. Like you and Maman I'm fairly tall and we tall ones do have an advantage in that we can "hide" our extra weight by dressing carefully and cheating a bit.

You might feel very large but I'm guessing most people won't actually realise you are a bit too heavy. You probably see yourself as fat when most people probably don't see you that way at all.

Tackle the weight when you are ready but for now just concentrate on being the best you can be. Work with what you have got.

The mantra is

"Dress up and show up". Everyday. Single. Day.

Life is short....don't waste another day being unhappy. Look in the mirror, be ruthlessly objective and then make the necessary changes.

Had a lovely day out. Lunch at Wagamamas and then to see Judy. Loved the film, can thoroughly recommend although you might need to take a hanky.....:rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feel free to tell me to snap out of it, im pretty sure I need it :rotfl:

That would be harsh and this is a kind, friendly thread.;)
    You've made a start, that's what matters. You're using perfume and you've posted.:T

You say that money is tight so you'll need to prioritise your spending. For me I'd happily do my own nails and skincare but I would prioritise having my hair done professionally. You could save by going to a college or using Groupon. With long hair you wouldn't need to go that often and while I'd take advice I prefer highlights/lowlights to block colour which can look scruffy very soon. You might have different priorities. :)

Like LL said, we're tall too and it's so easy to let the weight creep up. I lost 3.5 stone and have managed to keep it of for some years (8+) so it can be done. I'm a Slimming World convert, LL used WW. Healthy eating is definitely the way forward with a limited amount of treats. Do you know why you've gained the weight? :)

I'd recommend baby steps. Change something small this week and try to make it a daily routine and then when you're ready add something else. Even though you won't see instant results, you'll start to feel better just because you're caring for yourself. Where to start is up to you. The possibilities are endless. Do you have a skincare routine? Do you use hand cream? Have you sorted your wardrobe recently? Do you plan outfits in advance? Do you walk regularly? Do you have a hobby? I'll stop now before I get carried away. :D

It's a grim day here too:(. I've had a very leisurely pampering session with plenty of creaming all over and washed and blow dried my hair. I must say that I've neglected creaming my feet lately (since the sandal season finished:o) so I must get back to that PDQ.

Keep dry everyone. :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 October 2019 at 2:19PM
    Options
    At the risk of boring you all to death...........:rotfl:

Dining room beams now finished.:j:j. Oh boy am I glad to see the back of those. Still need to paint the plaster bits in between but that should be easy enough, at least that section will only need one coat. Shattered now so just relaxing in front of the open fire in the dining room. I have been practising - learning how to get a good fire going with smokeless coal.....much harder than logs but I think I've cracked it now.

So just enjoying a snack in front of a nice blaze. Very Hygge.

Has anyone else started lighting candles yet in the evening. I have - I love them.

A girl can never have too many candles, soft cushions, warm sofa throws and good books and films. :D. Well we've got to get through the winter somehow.

Last Sanditon tonight. :eek::rotfl:: dont know why I've bothered really. It's rubbish.

One programme I'm loving is Escape to the Chateau.

The engineer D I c k Strawbridge and his wife Angel who is a designer
    Took on a dilapidated chateau in France and have transformed it into a glorious home which also does weddings and has glamping in the grounds. And of course they've had to do it on a shoestring.

They are truly inspirational. I am shamelessly pinching some of their ideas:rotfl: Their project has been a monster, makes mine look like a stroll in the park.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, candles on hearth have been lit for a couple of weeks now. As well as looking comforting, they give off a considerable heat, emphasised by the marble hearth.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    A time to change- Recognizing that a change and altertion is needed is the most important step. maman and lessonslearned give excellent adivise.
    I too have weight to loose and in winter my wardrobe looks like it is from the addams family. However, my hair and complexion are too bright too look darp. I always look good in black.

To avoid the excess black clothes- stop buying dupes. People think you have the same black jumper. Save the money for the hair. I once realized that i had so many of the same item bought again and again. It makes wearing clothes boring and like a uniform.

Add colour by adding on a scarf or what i do is use a summer top as a layering top to add colour. Moving items between seasons expands range of wardrobe and value.

I have prepped some food for next week- beef stew and buckwheat. It will be warming on a cool autumn evenings. I have been making better food decisions but yesterday bought candied almonds in lidl (excellent).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure