2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We had a new Lidl open last week, and I managed to do a fairly large shop there today for less than what I would have paid in one of the big four supermarkets. I also used up some leftover homemade yogurt today. I had strained it overnight to make a thicker, soft cheese like yogurt which I mixed with melted white chocolate and used it on top of a digestive biscuit base to make a sort of cheesecake. I scattered raspberries on top and we had some for dessert tonight. It was lovely, and there's enough for tomorrow as well. The original yogurt was also made, by the way , using milk that was about to go off, and I used the slow cooker method with some success. I think making stuff from scratch that you would normally buy ready made can save a fair bit of money.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • sinkorswim2018
    Options
    Must try harder.

Did avoid a coffee and breakfast out this morning..small victories.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Still trying to be frugal when I can. Altered my dd3s curtains for her, she was going to buy a new pair just because they were too long!!! put new header tape on and altered the length then and bobs your uncle etc. Now she has requested me doing the same to her bedroom curtains!!! at least it saves money.
    Also I was going through my craft room drawers and found some minature x-stich xmas pictures, so Im going to turn them into Christmas cards, and I made myself a new project bag from some fabric I found as well, so I have been busy this week. Oh and another pair of socks knitted with wool that was left over from me knitting a doll.
    Made soup for my lunches and today I made a veggie stew that will last me a couple of days, so Im making improvements in my daily life - slowly. Just need improve the walking everyday.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am loving hearing about everyone's preparations for Christmas. Nannygladys you are putting me in the mood to do some crafting. I do not have your skill level but I taught myself to crochet via Youtube a few years ago and after doing a few big projects I haven't done much since.

I think I scunnered myself with it as I put myself under pressure to finish items within tight time frames. I also made alot of things as gifts but not that many things for myself. Think I will have a look and see what wool I have tonight and make myself a new hat. I've always fancied one of those slouchy hats and I will try a different attitude this time - instead of rushing to finish I will look at it as a way to relax in the evenings, yet still be productive.

I am also going to sew up some new dishcloths this weekend. I make them with old past-their-best bedsheets and they last really well.
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I’ve finally caught up! It’s taken me over a week to read all 64 pages but it’s been just lovely to cosy up in bed in the evenings when the rain is lashing on the skylight and snuggle up with my iPad to read the thread. Just bliss!

It’s been wonderful to read all your adventures this year and great to see some of the originals commenting again. You’ve all done so well!

So, I would like to join :) I do have some debt I would like to clear but it’s all 0% for the next 24 months and my OH and I have plans to buy our first home in 22 months, my LL is planning to sell the house and being good in giving me plenty of notice. I’ve been a tenant here for 10 years so it’s nice he’s thinking of me. OH and I don’t live together yet, he’s moving in in March so I’m using these 3 months to save hard. We’ve worked out we’ll need £30k each for deposit and fees. This is taking priority until I have it saved, then I’ll focus my efforts on clearing debt.

I currently have £13.5k saved so I’d need to save £750pm, I’m going to aim for £1k pm just in case some months are tight. I’m back on the frugal wagon and the kids are fully seasoned to my ways :D

Grocery spends are usually around £30-£40 per week for 3 of us(DS 16, DD 10) plus OH when he stays over. This includes a cat and kids lunches for school. I normally shop in Asda but this week I used a voucher in Lidl and was pleasantly surprised by their prices, I may start shopping there and do a small top up for veggie “meats” at Asda as Lidl’s selection were very limited. OH normally shops at his local Aldi so he’s happy if I swap, he’s not a brand snob at all and lives within his means too.

Christmas will be a cheap affair this year, I’m giving the kids an experience this year rather than gifts, they have a few small token gifts to open on the day but that’s about it, family will buy them lots (against my wishes!) so I need to think of something that will suit them both. I’ve just bough OH and I a £99 each mystery holiday with W0wcher so that’ll be fun, parents and fam will have things bought from M&S with competition win vouchers that I’ve collected throughout the year (£150 total) I doubled up my Nectar vouchers yesterday so i had £100 to spend in Sains for free- that was fun :D, and ticked a few Xmas gifts off the list. They had some men’s skincare reduced to 20p so I stocked up for the teens Xmas stocking.

Can’t wait to read your updates everyone :)
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • nannygladys
    Options
    Hi everyone
    So what have I been doing?
    On the Xmas front I made the x-stitch cards and now Im cutting out bits of felt and making fronts of woodland animals, foxes, owls etc to make into Xmas card fronts as well! getting creative in my old age.
    Allie23, Im not that crafty, I would love to be and Im OK when following patterns but Im a very basic crafter who loves to have a go but it doesn't always turn out alright!!!
    Been having 'use it up' meals the last couple of days, as its been raining that much I haven't wanted to go out far, but I will be venturing out over the weekend to get a few necessary things. I may even start a bit of Xmas shopping!
    Anyway off to bed, Ive been watching a film and not noticed the time.
    Nannyg
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all
    I've just spent a lovely week reading this thread and getting very motivated to start a new frugal life. I am thankfully debt free and learnt lots of great habits on the way thanks to the debt free board. A new chapter starts at the end of the week as the husband is moving out - a thankfully amicable split.
    I have just been working out my December budget - a lovely spreadsheet on which everything I can possibly think of is listed. Thanks to the advice on the thread I have included both pocket money for myself and a sanity fund! Looking at my annual spends one of the things that stands out is the amount I spend on birthday presents for friends, so I need to cut this back drastically in line with my very reduced income!
    My major outgoings for 2020 will be to identify and solve the damp problem in the front of the house, but I do have some funds set aside for that. Once that is done I would really like to make some mortgage overpayments as being mortgage free would give me a lot more financial security.
    On the fun side, I've treated myself to a second hand sewing machine so I hope to make some new blinds for the house and some new cushion covers. My tired old armchairs are also being reupholstered. It will be lovely to have the house looking more mine!
    Thank you again for all your hints and tips and I look forward to reading and learning more! :)
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • nannygladys
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Hello and welcome Barbeduk
    Well Ive had a frugal weekend because I haven't been out anywhere or spent any money!! Yesterday I had visitors and by the time they had gone it was too late and today I couldn't be bothered!!!
    Nannyg
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone, I didn't get any crafting done this weekend. Did some winter prep items and other than that very little. I've had a chest infection ongoing for a while now. The Doc did give me antibiotics which helped but it's been a slow burn in getting well again. I'm better but still not 100%. I was off work but have been back two weeks and just getting to the weekend is challenge enough!

Did a little tidying in the house this morning so that's a clear sign I am on the mend :D.
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • welshywoo
    Options
    Hi everyone, it's been many years and a whole rollercoaster of life since I was here last. I am relatively debt free - more by luck than judgement. I'm posting in anticipation of 2020 challenge as I really need to work on my budgeting and saving skills so am making 2020 the year to start. Would like save for a b-2-L property and also looking forward to making new friends :)
    #8 £2 Savers Club 2020: £90/£250
    #2 Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day: £70/£366
    #057 Sealed Pot Challenge: £38.75/£150
    *Mortgage free & Almost Debt Free*
    :A Learning to be a better custodian of Money :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts