PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Today I went to do a small top up shop and here is where my plan failed.I was good and went Mr Al spent £58 which was a fail as I was only planning on spending around £40 but bought lots of fruit and veg and other healthy bits, also stocked up on some staples whilst I was there as it is so much cheaper than MR S, Mr Al didn't have any coleslaw (I know I should make it myself and I do in summer but only I eat it) so I nipped into B00ths and found lots of whoppsied food, loaves of posh bread down from £2 to 33p, packs of posh crumpets and teacakes down to 20p a pack, there own chicken kievs down to £1 each these are a whole chicken breast stuffed and breaded and freshly made instore and are amazing I only but them as a treat as they are usually £4.50 for 2, spent £15 and saved £24 would have bought more but knew I didn't have the room in the freezers. Freezers are jam packed full took out a few bits for the weekend and also had to take out the trays of icecubes, I really cannot buy anything else we need to eat down the freezers. My name is PWPS and i'm addicted to filling up chest freezers.

So total spend today is £73.28 :o:(
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 4 January 2019 at 8:19PM
    Options
    VickyV take care of and be kind to yourself. Remember you are doing your best and if you need time give yourself time. Hugs from me.

We spent £40.56 today.

1kg easy peelers, 5 large persimmons, pak choi 2 pack, 2 limes, 2 bunches spring onion, 250g spinach, red pepper, 500g red grapes, cucumber, lentil sprout mix, 2kg peanut butter, 1L sunflower oil, 2 packs of 907g frozen peas, 2 packs 1kg sweetcorn, 2 packs tofu, spinach and pinenut bites, pumpkin and chilli bites, saltanas, raisins, butterbeans, chickpeas, 5 packs chewing gum, 800g bread and 1L organic whole milk.

OH is having pasta for dinner.
    For dinner I'm having baked potato with vegetables and chickpeas.

£49.21/£200.
    £150.79 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • dingdongsaving
    Options
    Nothing spent 1-4th. Hubby collecting a shop from A5da tomorrow/5th on his way home from work. £36.36 this week. Hoping not to have any other grocery spends until the end of next week now.
  • Shoogly_Peg
    Options
    First spend of the year as I had been away for a few days. Spent £8.11 in Waitrose on shampoo, potatoes, onions, cheese, fish cakes and rolls. I only shop there occasionally as it is a wee bit more pricey, but was on my route back from the gym.
  • ChangeofFocus
    Options
    So far we've spent: £41.13 (30/12) Mr T delivery and £7.82 in sains yesterday on bread, milk and some fruit - without the challenge and consciously thinking of the budget both would easily be £20 higher minimum usually :o so we're sitting on £48.95/£240, hoping to leave a little leeway for the last week with the aim of starting to build up a little stock of regularly used items
  • MrsLottie
    MrsLottie Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    May I join in please ? I have a food budget for January of £250 pounds for two adults . I usually shop at Aldi and budget is to cover all food and drink except eating out for the month .
  • Airthrey
    Airthrey Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First food spend of the year today. I'm still living off leftovers and my overstocked cupboards and freezer. I need to psych myself up to do a food inventory. I spent a total of £4.58 on apples, bananas, clementines, garlic, eggs and fish fingers. All but the fish fingers were planned spends. Somehow I found myself craving the fish fingers when I realised they were half price.
  • millionaire_in_training
    Options
    Another small shop for me tonight. £33.91 which brings me to £64.04/£250. I actually sent DD for me to stop me overbuying. She bought a couple of things and then bought carrier bags :mad: so that's a lesson learned for me for the future. It saves me going in though over the weekend.
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    Couple of biggish restocking shops this week so £42.93/£200 spent which I'm quite happy about -all good so far!

Condolences from me too VickyV
  • MrsLottie
    MrsLottie Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Small shop to see us over the weekend - eight days since last shop so not too bad will need to shop probably by Monday .Spend today of £4.70 .Out for lunch today but that’s a different budget.Then on to the pantomime with daughters and families - so a low spend day and lots to enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure