Oftec and dodgy plumber

Options
We decided to get our boiler and central heating upgraded before the winter, so we looked online on Oftec and picked an Oil engineer from them, i noted they mentioned peace of mind and warranty so felt assured.

Fast forward our plumber took our money and left without completing the job leaving a few things not working and leaking.

My partner called Oftec to discuss but they didn't seem to be particularly interested, and denied any warranty would be available and only a 'desktop review' would be available of the issues that needed corrected, the oftec representative asked my wife to put in a mail a list of issues of what went wrong or wasn't completed.

Im pretty surprised and shocked at how little they give a sh't. Reading the small print they seem to be 'a lack of technical competence' as a concern.

Our issue is more about a lack of completed work along with a leak we've now had fixed and some pretty poor plumbing on the oil tank which was left as a temporary fix until he 'returned'.

It seems to me Oftec isn't much more than another checkatrade when it comes to supporting the customer ii stand to be corrected of course. :(

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    My understanding is that OFTEC is nothing more than a trade organisation and does not have any 'teeth'.
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 December 2018 at 9:02AM
    Options
    Alas seems you're right.

I read this on the uk plumbers forum which speaks volumes

I,ve been with oftec for 10yrs waste of money the quality of work by some engineers is rubbish and a lot can't do breakdowns,you can't learn it all in 5 days. Best go with another engineer you will learn a lot more. You don't have to register with oftec the regs say a competent persons scheme of which often is one also napit and one or two more.
    Another money making scheme which doesn't actually protect the customer.

Oh well small claims court it is.. in the meantime id like to make it evident to others there is no point using the oftec website to source an engineer as you the customer are not protected in anyway when things go wrong.
  • Cardew
    Options
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What I don't understand is why you paid before the job was finished?

And why you are not pursuing the plumber, via the courts if that's what it takes, for the extra costs you've incurred?
  • Richierichbristol
    Options
    Your problem is with the plumber not Oftec take the issue up with the plumber not Oftec they are just the governing body and just like gas safe they don’t really care. Learn from your mistake don’t pay until your satisfied with the job quite a simple theory but a lot of people make this mistake then moan after ? As soon as you’ve paid you have no leverage
  • troutman
    Options
    No i disagree here. Oftec do state on their website section 9
    On receiving a complaint from a consumer and following an initial internal review
    by the OFTEC Technical Dept. we will notify the registered business concerned
    in writing. When required the registered business must respond promptly to any
    request for information from OFTEC and must provide full co-operation in resolving
    the matter. During any investigation you may be required to submit supporting
    evidence/documentation before, during or after any required site inspection.

Oftec did fck all about this, just kept saying 'as long as the work is within regs we can't do anything, im sure it is you need to pursue payment issues with him'. They could only offer to get the same rookie out to try and fix our already fcked up system, would you accept that?

It's been shown subsequently he's made a series of dangerous mistakes fitting our hot water system to a Wood burning Stove with back boiler, if you may or may not be aware these things explode and can take out houses if fitted incorrectly, this one had no safety devices at all and the breather was blocked.

So far a competent non Oftec engineer has identified and immediately fixed about 4 dangerous issues. The problem is once the system is touched by someone else, guess what Oftec are off the hook, they've conveniently worded all their TnC's to ensure they are never actually legally obliged to do anything.

Anyone reading this OFTEC ARE A BUNCH OF CROOKS no better than the likes of Checkatrade.
  • Cardew
    Options
    troutman wrote: »
    It's been shown subsequently he's made a series of dangerous mistakes fitting our hot water system to a Wood burning Stove with back boiler, if you may or may not be aware these things explode and can take out houses if fitted incorrectly, this one had no safety devices at all and the breather was blocked.

So far a competent non Oftec engineer has identified and immediately fixed about 4 dangerous issues. The problem is once the system is touched by someone else, guess what Oftec are off the hook, they've conveniently worded all their TnC's to ensure they are never actually legally obliged to do anything.

Anyone reading this OFTEC ARE A BUNCH OF CROOKS no better than the likes of Checkatrade.

There are far too many 'OFTEC' type organisations for various trades - apparently no teeth, allow members to self certify work etc.

In the case of the combining the wood burning stove with the HW system(I had similar but correctly fitted) which is an explosion waiting to happen, I would report the matter to the Health and Safety executive https://www.hse.gov.uk/enforce/our-role-as-regulator.htm
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    troutman wrote: »

What on earth has that to do with OFTEC?! You need :
    https://www.hetas.co.uk/
    The problem is once the system is touched by someone else, guess what Oftec are off the hook,
    Well of course- how can they inspect and assess? This is no different to complaining about any contractor or professional (builder, surveyor, whoever) and trying to get either another professional or professional body to evaluate the work after you've had it fixed!

But anyway, your issue is with the original contractor. As advised earlier, the solution was to gather evidence and sue.
  • troutman
    edited 24 January 2020 at 10:56AM
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    What on earth has that to do with OFTEC?! You need :
    https://www.hetas.co.uk/

Well of course- how can they inspect and assess? This is no different to complaining about any contractor or professional (builder, surveyor, whoever) and trying to get either another professional or professional body to evaluate the work after you've had it fixed!

But anyway, your issue is with the original contractor. As advised earlier, the solution was to gather evidence and sue.

I have a Hetas engineer on board and be warned you need a G3 engineer if the work includes an unvented cylinder.

I have actually since designed my own system approved by engineers and will be implemented by a hetas fitter. It's not rocket science but needs logical work flow and of course safety systems factored in.

With reference to tking w'nker to court, i discussed this previously here was advised i was screwed as we had no contract or agreement other then to install a boiler and tank to which he did. I am not sure a small claims would give a sh.

I reiterate it has everything to do with Oftec, i employed him on the grounds of their promise of a quality engineer to undertake a quality install.

Plumbing in the boiler flow n return the wrong way isn't what i consider to be quality work. Worcester Bosch engineer identified this.
    Fuel leaks. Amateur plumbing line left to boiler so many unfinished cockups which aren't covered because we had no contract and no proof we asked him to do it.

Along with all the other fck ups, problem is there isnt another 'qualified' or recognised person who OFtec care about and they refused to send anyone other than the original wnker out.

And you can't complain about Oftec to anyone else as noone gives a sh't! The only reason Oftec 'care' is they care about getting money off the fitters to join their bullsh't membership which is then pushed onto mugs like me who believed it meant getting a quality service. Doh!
  • troutman
    Options
    Just to update anyone reading this OFTEC never bothered to return any of my calls or requests. They are fraudsters please avoid using them. Anyone requiring further evidence or detail please PM me i shall be happy to oblige.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback