Ongoing problem with British Gas Invoice

I have had an issue with a British Gas invoice that has rumbled on since July and I'd really appreciate some advice on what more I can do.
Sorry this is long...
I have HomeCare 200 with British Gas to cover heating and plumbing, for which I pay a £50 excess for each problem. I called them out in July to fix an issue with a tap in the bathroom sink. After their plumber (sent from Dyno Rod) had left the house, I noticed the shower head had been taken from its cradle in the bath and was dripping (I hadn't done this). A bucket left in the bath was full of hot water, so the plumber had obviously done something with the taps in the bath. I also noticed that the tap on the sink was now loose – I went outside to speak to the plumber, who was still sitting in his van. He said he didn't have the right fitting for the loose tap in the sink, but it wouldn't be a problem. He didn't return to the house to look at the problem.
To cut a long story short, when I returned home from work later the same day I heard the sound of water running in the pipes in the bathroom, the hot water tap was boiling hot, and water was coming out of it.
British Gas were called again, a different plumber arrived, said the bath taps had been damaged and that I'd have to buy new ones. I did, at a cost of £90 to me. He also said the first plumber had fitted the wrong gland to the bathroom sink, hence the loose tap.
A week later I received two invoices for £50. I rang British Gas and they said it was a mistake; we shouldn't have been charged two lots of £50 as the second visit was a recall, not a new problem. I paid the one £50 only.
I received another invoice for £50 in August. I rang British Gas again and had the same answer. It was an error, I could ignore it, and no more would be sent.
Another invoice for £50 arrived in November. Same phone conversation, same assurance from British Gas, It was an error, ignore it, it has been amended on their system and I won't receive any more invoices.
Yesterday (12th) a red reminder arrived threatening legal action if I didn't pay £50 immediately. I've panicked and paid it, but I'm steaming and very upset about it.
Can I threaten British Gas with anything or do I just have to suck it up? I've now paid them £100; that with the £90 I had to pay for taps that weren't damaged before their plumber came here, means I'm out of pocket by £140.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is LPG and OIL section .

Very difficult to follow your post .

Plumber bucket to drain down to fix tap.
    Boiling hot tap this does not make sense boiler setting altered ??
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    British Gas Home Care isn't the same BG that sells you gas - It's a separate company under the same corperate umbrella - This means that the Ofgem rules that are imposed on Gas/Electricity suppliers, do not apply to BG homecare

However, WRITE a letter to BGHC, heading it complaint - Set the outhistory of the repeated billing and remind them that Harassment is actionable in law
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure