Dacia Duster (2018 version)

Options

Comments

• Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My issue with the Dacias is, a) Renault, and b) Kind of the point of them is that they are meant to offer a new car buying experience to people who normally can't afford to buy the kind of car they want at a new price.

But when you start adding what Renault thinks are extras on (a radio) then the price puts them back in the range of, "could get a much better make of 2 year old car for the same or less."

I am quite interested in Ssangyong however. Much better styling than the Dacia, loads of extras and apparently a very comfortable cabin, and a long warranty which apparently they honour.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,689 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I always found it a lot more comfortable to rest foot on a footrest beside the pedal than on the floor, it just seems like a more natural position.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    So your foot hovers just above the pedal, not actually touching it, even lightly?

That sounds very uncomfortable in any car.

Why not just put it on the floor...?

So when you are changing up and down gears, say in heavy city traffic you take your foot off the peddle and put it in the floor between changes? Or do you hold it there for a couple of seconds ready for when you change again?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    So when you are changing up and down gears, say in heavy city traffic you take your foot off the peddle and put it in the floor between changes? Or do you hold it there for a couple of seconds ready for when you change again?
    Now that you've added a qualifier (city traffic) then "hovering" is quite acceptable. For longer periods between gear changes then I'd rest my foot on the floor; or ...
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I always found it a lot more comfortable to rest foot on a footrest beside the pedal than on the floor, it just seems like a more natural position.
    as do I ... assuming such a rest location exists. ;)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    Yes, I do. But if I was regularly driving in city traffic, I'd buy an auto, not a manual.

But do you rest it ON the pedal, or hover ABOVE it?
  • SG27
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Now that you've added a qualifier (city traffic) then "hovering" is quite acceptable. For longer periods between gear changes then I'd rest my foot on the floor; or ...

as do I ... assuming such a rest location exists. ;)

My wife's KA has a footrest which is great. My focus seemed more comfortable to place my foot on the floor. The duster I feel like I have to almost tuck my foot behind the brake pedal. Maybe adjusting the steering wheel and pulling the seat further back may help.
  • SG27
    edited 19 March 2019 at 8:34AM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Yes, I do. But if I was regularly driving in city traffic, I'd buy an auto, not a manual.

But do you rest it ON the pedal, or hover ABOVE it?

Resting on the pedal would mean pressing it.

I do probably 50/50 I live in a rural village just outside a city. Near a river which floods every winter meaning a very long diversion. Hence my choice of a good cheap 4x4.
  • ButtersUK
    ButtersUK Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was pleased to see some fairly recent comments on the latest incarnation of the Duster.
    I just sat and watched an informative half hour review of the new shape Duster - but with the older SCe 1.6 petrol engine, as opposed to the newer 1.3 turbo petrol engine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVzT3Eph6U - Pretty encouraging stuff. I hadn't heard bad reports of the TCe petrol engine, maybe it's too soon? How long has it been in production?

A couple of points .... when I enquired this afternoon I was told no automatic is planned in the near future.
    Re. resting foot on clutch ... the reviewer in the Youtube review did mention that there's less room to the left of the clutch pedal than would be hoped for .....[ PEDAL not peddle :-) ] I've had it it drummed into me for the past 50 years that the left foot should never rest on the clutch when not in use ... it wears the thrust bearing. But having now changed over to automatics it's not something I've considered for quite while.... hence asking, today, if an auto. is anticipated.
    Nevertheless I'd be pleased if anyone else had thoughts on the latest model, ideally with the new 1.3 engine, but also with the latest diesel engine too.

We're advised, for all the obvious reasons, not to buy a diesel if mileage is low and/or short journeys were undertaken - which is a bit of a shame as the more relaxed, torquey, nature of the diesel appeals to me if I can't have an automatic.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Pretty encouraging stuff. I hadn't heard bad reports of the TCe petrol engine, maybe it's too soon? How long has it been in production?
    Launched about five years ago - maybe even longer - it's most often seen in Qashqais and Jukes here, but it's also in A-class Mercs as well as across the Renault range.
  • SG27
    Options
    Regarding the clutch pedal position, now I'm used to it its fine. It's just different to what I was used to.

Fuel economy seems really good on the 1.6sce, at least compared to 10 year old focus.

I would have gone for the 1.2tce petrol but I didn't think these where available until mid 2019?

Overall im still very pleased with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport