PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

renting out a rtb council house

Options
hi,all first post from me.
i bought my council house 2 years ago for 22,950 (bought it outright with a one off payment.it was through a right to buy.ive had it 2 years and know i cant sell it for a further 3,otherwise i would have to pay a percentage back.what im unsure about is if i want to can i rent it out?thanks for any advice offered

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Read the paperwork. But I'd expect letting would fall under the same exclusions as a quick resale - and rightly so.
  • les127
    Options
    why would it be rightly so?envious someone got a good deal???ive rented the house for 30 years so in my eyes ive already paid the full value of the house anyway,have a nice day son
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 December 2018 at 7:14PM
    Options
    les127 wrote: »
    why would it be rightly so?envious someone got a good deal???ive rented the house for 30 years so in my eyes ive already paid the full value of the house anyway,have a nice day son
    in my eyes you have paid for a place to live in for 30 years just like anyone else. Whether you did, or did not, own it whilst doing so is irrelevant. No one else ever gets a refund of what they paid for anything other than "entitled" RTB'ers (son)

read the sticky at the top of the board on becoming a LL. There is more to it than counting the money - and yes, your RTB documentation answers your question (hint: it is silent on the subject).
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Here we go again the RTB can of worms. Your posts speaks volumes of why the RTB scheme is so wrong.

Sure nothing illegal with it, but your posts seem to speak of 'entitlement' much?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options

So, once your new tenant's rental payments total £22,950 you're going to sign the house over to them?
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I call troll.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can't rent it out for the period of the barring of the sale. All the caveats will be in the documentation you got and form part of a covenant of the sale.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My local authority states you can rent it out straight away, you just can't sell it before 6 years otherwise you have to repay some of the discount, you also have to make the first offer to the council to buy back. It's the same in a neighbouring town. All councils have different rules so ask them, not on here as you won't get an answer.

I bought mine with no restriction. They said I can rent it out straight away if I want to. I chose not to.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    You can't rent it out for the period of the barring of the sale. All the caveats will be in the documentation you got and form part of a covenant of the sale.

Hate to be devil's advocate but that's not what my local authority says. Not even remotely, which is why I think op should ask them, not people on here because some of these answers seem more personal opinion of how it should be, rather than how it is. Having bought my place from the council I can tell you it's not as you might think. Well not in my area anyway.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options

Oh please, RTB is an awful policy, taking homes from those in need.

You RENTED for 30 years, you didn't buy anything.

Unfortunately this abysmal system allowed you to buy a property very cheaply; at the expense of the tax payer.

And you have the audacity to call someone 'son'.

I hope the council have thought of this and you cant let out the property. Frankly with £22k in the bank I have no idea why you were even in social housing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure