Please could anyone advise me about my rights with a faulty laptop?

Options
I bought a new laptop from John Lewis online on 31 July. When it was delivered, I did the initial set up, downloaded Microsoft Office and Norton antivirus, and then didn't use it again for several weeks. I bought the laptop for work, and because of various major work and family issues, and because my old laptop is still working OK, I didn't have the time to transfer all my files over to the new laptop until things finally calmed down last week. I have used Carbonite to back up my files for many years, and have used this previously to transfer files and programmes to new laptops. I tried to install Carbonite on the new laptop to transfer my files, without success. I have spent in excess of 4 hours talking to the telephone support at Carbonite and have been escalated to ever more senior technicians. I was told yesterday after a further hour of the Carbonite technician carrying out remote diagnostics of the new laptop that part of the registry is corrupted, which is why Carbonite will not install. In addition, whilst I have been on the phone to technical support for such a long time, the new laptop is getting very hot, to the point where I can't keep it on my lap after about half an hour.

I need to be able to transfer my files to the new laptop and back my work up, and also to be able to work with the laptop on my lap for long periods of time.

John Lewis have told me that, because it is now four months since I bought the laptop, irrespective of how little it has been used, I must accept a repair, unless this proves uneconomical, in which case they will refund or replace the machine. I left the laptop at my local branch today, and they intend to reinstall Windows in the morning, and then try to install Carbonite for me. The technician at John Lewis said that the overheating may also be caused by a corrupt area of the registry. If this fails, they want to send the laptop back to the manufacturer for repair.

Please can anyone advise me whether I have to accept a repair by the manufacturer if the Windows reinstall doesn't work? Or do I have the right to request a replacement at that point? If I can't download programmes and the laptop is overheating, would it not be unfit for its purpose?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes , outside the 28 says they are complying by offering a repair ( in this case 2 repairs if necessary )

You may get a reconditioned unit in replacement which is also legal
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Was this a B2B or B2C transaction - you say you bought it for work?
  • Growlybear
    Options
    Thank you for the responses.

I've recently become self employed and bought the laptop for work. But I assume this would have been a B2C transaction, as I paid for it through one of my current accounts.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No it''s B2B as the intended use is for work.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Growlybear wrote: »
    the new laptop is getting very hot, to the point where I can't keep it on my lap after about half an hour.

This isn't necessarily a fault as although it may be referred to as a laptop, this doesn't automatically mean that you can use it for extended periods with it on your lap unless it's on a base that ensures that all of the air vents are kept clear.
    Even if the vents are clear, the chances are that there are small feet on the bottom that will allow air to circulate and stop the bottom battery and CPU from getting too hot.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    It doesn’t matter how you paid, by your own admission this is B2B and as such your rights are vastly reduced.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    If you think the means of payment dictates a contract type, you really need to speak to a business advisor - this is basic knowledge and you’re likely to run into all sorts of bother if you weren’t aware of simple things like this.
  • jonnyd281
    Options
    Why not just reinstall windows, assuming that you are talking about the Software Registry. It will take you a couple of hours, but will save you have to send it off.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jonnyd281 wrote: »
    Why not just reinstall windows, assuming that you are talking about the Software Registry. It will take you a couple of hours, but will save you have to send it off.

The OP has already left it with JL.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They have not been called laptops for years.

They are notebooks.

They are not designed to be put on laps/beds etc... as they overheat.

You need to give JL the chance to fix it. You have less rights with this being for business use.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure