Mobile contract eligibility checker?

Options
I've been turned down for a mobile contract today, so I won't have the new phone for Xmas :(

I know I will need to wait for a while before apply again from somewhere else, but how can I know that I won't be rejected again?

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    Have you checked your credit history is reported accurately with the three main CRAs?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, but being an expat in the UK, I can't register to vote. I've put notice of corrections to state that, and that appears didn't help.

I don't have defaults or missed payments, I've only made 1 credit application in the last 6 months before the rejected mobile contract.

In my credit report, my income is high but spending is very low, so my debit to income ratio is extremely low. I'm not sure if this affects it in anyway, but earn less or spend more (on CC) certainly aren't money saving options.

I don't have any clue why did they turn down my application, and I feel that even if I apply again a few months latter, there's a big chance that it will get rejected again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mr.Saver wrote: »
    In my credit report, my income is high but spending is very low, so my debit to income ratio is extremely low. I'm not sure if this affects it in anyway, but earn less or spend more (on CC) certainly aren't money saving options.

The CRAs don't record income. As long as you're using your credit card, the amount spent won't particularly matter.

Did you check all three files?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Your income and spending is not visible to the CRA's or lenders on your credit reports - you have to quote it separately on applications.

Try a different provider, or save up and buy the phone up front rather than paying the extortionate monthly costs
  • Mr.Saver
    Options
    Yes, I did check all three of them weeks before I apply the mobile contract. I couldn't see anything wrong except the electoral roll which I cannot change.
  • Mr.Saver
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Your income and spending is not visible to the CRA's or lenders on your credit reports - you have to quote it separately on applications.

Try a different provider, or save up and buy the phone up front rather than paying the extortionate monthly costs

Well, I forget to mention that the deal was the iPhone XR on the monthly newsletter. Quote from MSE website:
    Until 5pm Fri 30 Nov, we've bagged a super-cheap deal for Vodafone newbies* on a 64GB iPhone XR with a huge 100GB data allowance for 24mths. It works out less over the 2yrs than even the cheapest way we've found to get 4GB data on any network – only deals with 1GB data allowances work out cheaper.
    So it is actually cheaper than buying the same phone separately and get a SIM only plan.

I'm not planning to go to a different provider because they don't have anything cheap like this. I can wait for a similar or better deal.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Mr.Saver wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this affects it in anyway, but earn less or spend more (on CC) certainly aren't money saving options.
    How long have you been using your cc for your everyday monthly budgeted groceries and travel costs etc? (How many years or months)?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Mr.Saver
    Options
    Although I'm pretty sure that the lender cannot see this, I'm still gonna say it just in case someone knows something more about it.

My credit file have a very very long list of soft searches, marked as "administrative review", "identification check", "current account" and "quotation search", because I have a lots of savings accounts and investment accounts with different providers. I also opened a couple of bank accounts to get the 5% interest.
  • Mr.Saver
    Options
    How long have you been using your cc for your everyday monthly budgeted groceries and travel costs etc? (How many years or months)?
    I've been using my credit cards for more than 3 years.

My groceries are mainly from a local market which is cheaper than supermarkets but they don't accept cards. I use my CC for occasional supermarket visit to buy things I can't find at my local market.

My travel cost is covered by an annual travel card in London, it costs more than my CC limit, and my card issuer refuses (twice in two years) to increase the limit. So I had to buy it on my debit card every year.

Those are the main reasons why my spending on CC are so low.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,225 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46388467

Have you seen this? And would it have applied to your application ref. timing?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure