PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Too far from the sea here DfV. I can get horse manure though... or coo. or sheep if I collect it :)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought this whole drone story was a bit far fetched...

The police were afraid to shoot it down in case someone was hit by stray bullets... etc etc.

However today, the couple supposed to have been doing it have been released, with the news that there 'may have been no genuine drone activity in the first place'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46665615

So, thousands of people were inconvenienced for a hoax?

I smell another false flag. I bet the Russians will be blamed by the end of the week. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I can get horse manure though... or coo. or sheep if I collect it :)

Now you're talking crap. :D
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »

The police were afraid to shoot it down in case someone was hit by stray bullets... etc etc.

However today, the couple supposed to have been doing it have been released, with the news that there 'may have been no genuine drone activity in the first place'.

I smell another false flag. I bet the Russians will be blamed by the end of the week. :)

So what about the armed police that patrol the airport - does that mean their guns are just for show???
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Loosing off rounds of automatic fire into the sky at a small target moving unpredicatably isn't likely to end successfully and there is a real risk of stray bullets ending up somewhere with tragic consequences. Equally, if they start sniping, those bullets travel a very long distance.

I'm flabberghasted at the new-improved version of reality where 'there may not have been a drone after all' ! Really, what were the witnesses seeing and were the film clips faked? Never did think that the poor couple arrested were likely to be involved and I feel desperately sorry for them. Imagine how horrible it must be to be dragged out of your ordinary private life and have your names, faces, home, workplace, private details etc splashed all over the media, not to mention your house searched and all for a mistake?!

Talk about a life-chaning event.:(
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »

Not forgetting the two that were wrongly arrested:eek::eek: - and their names splashed right across the media by some papers:eek:. I don't know what effect it will have on them personally to have had that happen. He's not going to be a "sensitive" sort of person presumably (as he went into the Armed Forces by choice) - but they might have problems with that having happened to them. Someone like myself would turn round and chase them for compensation and basically not feel bothered by this having happened to them - but I can imagine some would be affected by it.

As for what those lights in the sky were - well there was "something" up there. If it wasn't drones - then what was it? Obvious next thought - perhaps they preferred to tell us it was drones (as at least that would be to do with us) - but......yes...I do think E.T. is watching us and has been doing so for centuries. So are they going to tell us that it was E.T. instead?

But I do bear in mind that they say a damaged drone was found and that that delivery man said he saw a man hastily packing away a drone - and so maybe it was drones and why are they now trying to say it wasn't if so?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But I do bear in mind that they say a damaged drone was found and that that delivery man said he saw a man hastily packing away a drone - and so maybe it was drones and why are they now trying to say it wasn't if so?

Ah, well they would say they found a damaged drone and about the delivery man if the whole event was staged. I wonder if the actor with the drone had long to wait in the cold for someone to see him fiddling with it? :)

I don't think it matters now whether there were people flying drones or not. They now have the public outrage for harsh legislation against them (and anything else they care to tack on).
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 December 2018 at 10:32AM
    Options
    On a seasonal festive I-didn't-see-anything-flying-other-than-a-bunch-of- reindeer-&-that-was-after-three-egg-nogs note, I have had one of those Reminder Nights.

The CO alarm began beeping, batteries thought we sulphurously, read the small print embossed on the device (do you always sleep with your reading glasses handy? I will be doing) & it has now Timed Out For Life. A strange bonus feature but reassuring, albeit it in a do-I-have-a-headache way.

So today's Christmas Eve shopping list is for a kidde/lifesaver CO alarm, (excellent Which review, two for £30 at Argos (two as one retails for £19.99) & I followed by batteries from either Aldi Activ or Lidl aerocell both OK with Which & absolutely my preferred price bracket for a not high drain device.

Wishing you all "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" or however you enjoy this time of year & Not Wondering about assorted family, relatives, pets etc.

P.S. Should I worry three teenagers slept through the beeps, or just plan (in the event) to grab them (by the hair? ankle?) as I go?
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably just grab 'em, DfV! Happy Christmas anyway :), and to all of you celebrating.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Really, what were the witnesses seeing and were the film clips faked?

Maybe it was a real life UFO. :)
    Imagine how horrible it must be to be dragged out of your ordinary private life and have your names, faces, home, workplace, private details etc splashed all over the media, not to mention your house searched and all for a mistake?

Maybe it should be titled The Cliff Richard Effect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure