admiral premium conviction -£600.00

Options
Admiral have charged me an extra £686.32 and an administration charge of £30.00 for a SP30 3 point speeding conviction. is this reasonable ? any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you clarify please? Are they increasing your current year's premium, or is this your renewal quote?

Also, what was your original premium?
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Sounds a lot but how much was you paying admiral before?

Is the 3 points the only points you currently have on your licence?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    Test the market to find out if it is reasonable.

Also how much extra is it, £600.00 or £686.32 or £716.32 - its a little unclear from your figures.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Whether it's "reasonable" or not is moot. It's what they're charging.

You have two choices - pay it, or cancel the remainder of your policy and take your business elsewhere.

Personally, I wouldn't have touched Admiral or their other brands in the first place - the Ryanair of insurers.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    vincentea wrote: »
    Admiral have charged me an extra £686.32 and an administration charge of £30.00 for a SP30 3 point speeding conviction. is this reasonable ? any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

They obviously don't want your continued business. Thankfully there are plenty of other fish in the sea.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Depends how much you have already paid, and how long the policy has to run.

I got an SP30 myself many years ago, I phoned to tell my insurer and didnt have to pay anything else, they said I was a young man with a hot hatch, and the price of my original policy was based on the possiblity of "accidental blips over the speed limit".

When it came to renew there was minimal price increase which was probably just inflationary. I would look elsewhere other than Admiral.
  • vincentea
    Options
    Thanks for all getting back to me so quickly. My annual insurance policy was renewed in September for £1,300 - no previous speeding convictions. They have now updated my convictions (I received 3 points sp30) and have stated they will take a further £686.32 in a few weeks time there is also an extra £30.00 for administration charge. I hope this makes sense. My issue is ive already paid the initial £1300, I assume I cant claw this back to change insurers, so I assume im only left with the option of fighting the extra £686.32 they want me to now pay.
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    How on earth is your premium 1300? My sister had a car crash and penalty points a few years ago, and was half that!
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Could be age related
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    How on earth is your premium 1300? My sister had a car crash and penalty points a few years ago, and was half that!
    Many reasons - age, driving experience, type of car etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure