Cold cures anyone?

Hubby and I are both absolutely loaded with colds. :(

After 2 appalling nights sleep due to being totally bunged up and frequent bouts of coughing, I have to deal with my energetic 18 month old during the day - just wondering if anybody can suggest any medication that will knock me out all night?

Tried Beechams flu plus last night - didn't help at all >:(

Comments

• divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    nothing really cures a common cold. other than paracetamol to take away the aches and pains and vitamin c either tablets or drinks.

It shouldnt last long but these over the counter stuff like beechams etc... are very expensive and all it is really is a lemon drink with paracetamol in it, you can make your own at a fraction of the cost. Take 2 paracetamol and a lemon tea.

Sorry couldnt be more help but hope you feel better soon :)
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Just had another thought, you could try night nurse but that again is very expensive and it tastes absolutely horrible. But mr divadee has used it and he claims it worked.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    whisky, lemon juice honey and hot water. works every time.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    And have extra pillows under your head in bed, cut out milk products till its cleared. Make a tea from fresh ginger, grated, and lemon juice. Its harsh but it relieves some symptoms.
    As said before, unfortunately there is no real cure :'(
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I love the taste of night nurse divadee - I must be a bit weird! I have actually got some night nurse tablets in the cupboard - only discovered them at 4am, so will give them a try tonight.

160 - how much whisky are we talking here? ;)

Will I do any damage by combining the 2 remedies - I NEED SLEEP!!
  • System
    Thanks ssaver - will give the ginger tea a try if I can drag myself down to the shops - anything for some shut eye I'm so knackered :( Thank goodness for cbeebies keeping little one entertained :)
    Combo Breaker First Post
    160 - how much whisky are we talking here?  ;)

easy, get a tumbler, 1/4 fill with whisky, add two tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp honey, and top up with hot water (with metal spoon in glass to stop it cracking, and let hot water cool for couple minutes). knock back, and sleep like a baby. 2 paracetamol may be required in the morning though.  ;)

edited cos i can't type.
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hot ribena & 2 paracetamol during the day & the hot whisky/lemon/honey concoction before bed.
    Have you got any olbas oil you could put into an oil burner or splash on your pillow? It helps to clear a blocked nose. You could also try holding your head over a bowl of hot water with a few drops in it - inhale the steam.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Steam method also works with 1/4 teaspoon of vicks chest rub in hot water. beathe in deeply through nose and out through mouth. oh and if your nose gets red and dry like mine always does when i've got a cold, smother it in vaseline at bedtime. works wonders.
  • System
    Thanks everyone - lots of things to try tonight ;D

Have been ladling on the vaseline 160 as nose was looking like a sundried tomato!! :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure