PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Options

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    Options
    My Champagne moments on Tuesday were going to Odeon Covent Garden to watch 2 films: A Million Little Pieces and The Mustang. I really enjoyed both films even though both of the films had some harrowing moments. I bought my tickets using my Odeon Limitless card. :D

A Million Little Pieces is about 23 year old James who is an alcoholic and drug addict who wakes up on an aeroplane with no memory of the last few weeks of his life and why his face and body is so battered and broken. James has 2 choices : rehab or death and this is the story of James's hard journey through rehab and his eventual sobriety. Aaron Taylor-Johnson does a superb lead performance. I would give this film 9/10. :D This film is based on the 2003 controversial book by James Frey.

The Mustang tells the story of Roman Coleman, a violent convict, who is given the chance to participate in a rehabilitation therapy program involving the training of wild mustangs. I do find it disturbing that wild mustangs are rounded up, imprisoned and broken as rehabilitation for prisoners in some American states. I am only aware of this program because of this film. I would give this film 7.5/10 :)

My Champagne moment yesterday was going to Odeon Streatham to watch the Silver Screen showing of the film Tolkien. As a young student, J.R.R. Tolkien finds love, friendship and artistic inspiration among a group of fellow outcasts. Their brotherhood soon strengthens as Tolkien weathers the storm of a tumultuous courtship with Edith Bratt and the outbreak of World War I. These early life experiences later inspire the budding author to write the classic fantasy novels The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I would give this film 8/10 :D
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SUGARBABY there is a book called "A million little pieces" too, it's brill, so I'll deffo have to watch the film 😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello all,

I really enjoy reading this thread - it is extremely uplifting - and really is my favourite thread on this whole forum due to the positive vibes

I mean we all read about each others challenges, but there are so many positives Champagne Moments, that it makes the clouds have a silver lining

Well for me, I have been mainly working and playing my instrument after work - cooking for Hubby most nights too, as he has swapped shift patterns, so our food bill has gone higher LOL

I have been at my new job only a month now, but wow, I feel I have been there much longer. Really pleased to report I am in the process of what I feel will be a firm friendship, with another of the women who work there. Very similar ages / life experiences - Oh and weights too LOL we have started going out for lunchtime walks together, and it is great to have someone to chat to. Really enjoying the job too, it is steady work and not stressful

Champagne moments have been purchases mainly and I am very non materialistic but these were necessities lol - well because there is no work uniform for this job, I realised I had very few in the way of clothes. I didn't even own a winter coat (it was in my work uniform for last job)

So I have been splurging. On Ebay and in the Chazzas. So far I have ended up with 6 smart vintage style dresses, four cardigans, and TWO winter coats. I have got them fairly cheap and everything has been brill - I am literally over the moon and feel more confident when I can put on a lovely dress and tights - I have even started wearing make up to work -which is something I had completely let go in my old job due to stress (with the job) /depression and general CBA

So I am much happier than I was a couple of months ago.

I hope you all have a beautiful weekend x
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Awake nice and early, enjoying a nice quiet champagne moment - my coffee in bed, planning my day. I love the quietness here, watching the sun come up. Just taking time out to relax, write in my journal. The pure luxury of peace and quiet and time to just take my time. I definitely made the right choice not to go back to work. I feel so much happier now that I've made that decision.

Yes the extra money would have been nice but I definitely don't need the extra stress that goes with it. I have enough. My means might be slender but I have imagination, skills and creativity to live well.

Ska Lover - so glad that you are really enjoying your new job. Your new wardrobe sounds fab and it is great to hear that you are now "showing up" each day, nicely dressed and made up.

I am a great believer in the power of TLC, of dressing up, putting on the style and sashaying forth each day looking fab-u-lous. Who wants to look like a bag lady...,,,:rotfl: why wear a hair shirt when you can wear a silk one.

For me the day always goes better when I am looking my best. It really needn't cost much, it just requires a bit of effort and a little bit of discipline.

I call this "Fabbing". :rotfl: I started a thread called "Frump to Fab" a few years ago on the Health and Beauty board to help me ditch the Frump and find my inner goddess. It's still going strong several years later. We have a lot of fun over there discussing clothes, make up and girly stuff. :rotfl:

My champagne moments this week have been mainly either the domestic or retail type. A fabulous buttery soft caramel coloured leather jacket. £9. I needed another jacket like I needed a hole in the head but at that price it would have been rude not too.

Yesterday I did a major wardrobe blitz, Marie Kondo style. I have only kept the absolute nicest things, with just a couple of rags for when I'm decorating and sloshing paint around. I've have got rid of anything that I felt was unflattering, dated, shabby etc or just "not me". A nice clean slate, keeping only clothes that make me feel fabulous and give me joy.

I have some nice champagne moments planned for next week, starting with a family celebration tomorrow in my favourite restaurant. Blow the diet.:rotfl: although actually I have been very good this week and have lost another 1lb. Just 5.1/2 lb to go.

Wahoo. :D

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
  • mrs_slapshot
    Options
    Morning all! I've not posted all week but I have been keeping up with reading what's going on..well done on those champagne moments :beer: (we need a champagne emoji :D )

It's the end of my first week in my new job and it has gone well! I'm cautiously optimistic about it...having had bad experiences in the last few years I'm not counting my chickens (and I am still going to try and build up a second income on the side, so I'm not totally reliant on employers..). That probably sounds more pessimistic than I want it to!

It's a lot more relaxed than the last time I worked there, and I have been able to do a morning workout before leaving home most days as there are no set start and finish times. People are familiar, and the work will be interesting - it's a massive improvement on my last job!

My son has applied for apprenticeships but not even had a reply - it's disheartening for him but I'm doing my best to teach him resilience and perseverance. He's accepted an offer from his Saturday job employer to work full time there in the meantime which I'm happy with. I was worried he'd just retreat into his Xbox and stay home...

One disappointing moment for me was the discovery I'd put on 1.5lb this week. I thought I'd struggle to lose weight (what with afternoon teas etc...) but disappointed to have put on. Never mind, meals all planned for this week, and I will work out every day instead of most days. I WILL lose the excess podge!!

In terms of my blog, I'm not ready to share it yet with the wider world...have shown it to three friends so far but it has a lot of work to be done on it yet! I've been quite good this week with doing a bit of self-development work every day - researching, watching motivational videos and listening to self-improvement books on Audible. Love that sort of stuff!

LL - your Fabbing thread sounds great - will have a look at it as I need a bit of glam inspo!

Have a great weekend all!
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    My Champagne moment yesterday was going to watch Teechers at The Churchilll Theatre in Bromley as I had a free ticket. :D

Unfortunately, I found this play too disjointed and chaotic as you only had 3 actors: 2 female and 1 male trying to play a host of different characters with very minimal wardrobe changes. :( It was really odd when these 3 young actors were supposed to be very mature characters that were teachers and the headmistress as it did not work when moments before they were one of the many pupil characters. :eek:

I had had enough by the time the interval came around so I left before the 2nd act. I have never done that before, but I felt it was necessary for me not to waste any more of my time on this play. :(

It is a well written play and it is very funny, but it is just not possible to have a mere 3 actors trying to play a myriad of characters of such an age range and of so many different personalities. :(

At least I had a pleasant journey to and from the theatre by bus :)
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    My Champagne moment yesterday was going to a party for my favourite DJ in a local wine bar. I had a fantastic time. I danced my legs off. :D:j

I went there and back by bus which only cost me 75p each way. I bought myself 2 bottles waters at £2 each, so my fantastic night out for only £5.50. :D

I found £10 on my way to the party. :j
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Sugarbaby.....so you had a fab time and ended up £4.50 in profit :rotfl: well done.

Got workmen here. Just going to get glammed up ready to go to my favourite restaurant for a family celebration lunch. Leave them to it.

Glorious day here, so going to make the most of the weather - going to wear my very simple classic grey crepe shift dress but give it a bit of a rock chick vibe with my fake snakeskin jacket. :rotfl:
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    My Champagne moment yesterday evening was going to Karaoke. :D

I sang 3 songs:

1. Make You Feel My Love by Adele

2. No Matter What by Boyzone

3. Dream Lover by Bobby Darin

There were lots of other singers and the DJ played music that I loved to dance to in between the singers, so I had a really enjoyable evening. :D

I only spent £1.50 on bus fares and £4 on 2 bottles of water. Money saving plus I got lots of exercise when I was dancing. :D
  • tanny05
    Options
    Go out during Happy Hours:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills