Praise to Every Delivery Driver But Royal Mail

Options

Comments

• K80_Black
    Options
    parkrunner wrote: »
    You are complaining that they sent you an email with an arrival date before they had the goods, that was based on the manufacturer's information to them. You then placed a frozen food order in exactly the same way, ie you both accepted what you had been told without receipt of the freezer. If they were wrong then so were you.

They are a company providing a service. I am a consumer ordering produce. There is a huge difference.

This board is Praise, Vent and Warnings. I am Venting at having to sit around all day because DPD's email system is totally automated rubbish, and Warning other people that any email they get from DPD that has a delivery date on it should be taken with a grain of salt. What exactly are you doing, aside from trying to pick a fight?!
  • 1974Marie
    Options
    Well I have to say DPD are terrible. I can't stand them. I think Yodel, Royal Mail, Hermes and Parcelforce are good. Amazon Logistics and DX - never had problems with them either.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    K80_Black wrote: »
    They are a company providing a service. I am a consumer ordering produce. There is a huge difference.

This board is Praise, Vent and Warnings. I am Venting at having to sit around all day because DPD's email system is totally automated rubbish, and Warning other people that any email they get from DPD that has a delivery date on it should be taken with a grain of salt. What exactly are you doing, aside from trying to pick a fight?!

There is no difference, you both acted on information supplied. You were both wrong to do that. You are venting about not receiving your item which is fair enough but ordering your frozen goods prior to receiving the freezer was silly. The freezer could have been delivered damaged or not working, always a possibility.

As for your warning, everyone knows nothing is guaranteed where deliveries are concerned, save your warnings for something we don't know. And as for picking a fight, well no, I am just pointing out you made the same mistake as DPD. The fact they are a company and you are a consumer changes nothing.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

On a slightly different angle to that of parkrunner (with whom I agree) ... did you engage DPD to deliver the freezer? If not (the company you bought from did) then you have no consumer rights with/against DPD whatsoever, so the fact they're a company and you're a consumer is irrelevant.
  • K80_Black
    Options
    There is no difference, you both acted on information supplied. You were both wrong to do that. You are venting about not receiving your item which is fair enough but ordering your frozen goods prior to receiving the freezer was silly. The freezer could have been delivered damaged or not working, always a possibility.

As for your warning, everyone knows nothing is guaranteed where deliveries are concerned, save your warnings for something we don't know. And as for picking a fight, well no, I am just pointing out you made the same mistake as DPD. The fact they are a company and you are a consumer changes nothing.

I've already explained why I ordered food when I did. I have free deliveries on Tues-Thrs, was busy on Thursday so Wednesday evening was the only time I could take a food order. Unlike DPD, I am a lone individual, not a company with a 38,000 employees and £1bn turnover. I can't simply say 'oh, I'll do it tomorrow, or get one of the 37,999 other people to do it'. There's just me.

While you can say it's silly to order food without having the freezer in hand, is it still 'silly' for such a company to book a delivery with me and then not show up? Or is it irresponsible, inconvenient to say the least and an easy fix for them - if they sent the automated emails with a delivery date AFTER they had scanned the item at their facility, not as soon as they got my details, this never would have happened. That is what has annoyed me so much. It's a massive flaw in their system, an easy fix, and they don't care.

DoaM wrote: »
    On a slightly different angle to that of parkrunner (with whom I agree) ... did you engage DPD to deliver the freezer? If not (the company you bought from did) then you have no consumer rights with/against DPD whatsoever, so the fact they're a company and you're a consumer is irrelevant.

I don't employ 38,000 people - that was my point about them being a company, and me being a consumer - nothing to do with my rights. It seems so strange to me that you seem to care more about an individual doing a big shop (and the importance of pointing out how stupid I am), than a massive global company with a fundamentally flawed process that must affect hundreds of people every day.

I love how my food shop arriving was a 'given' but my freezer arriving was not. Why was it not silly for me to actually expect my food shop to arrive on time too? Is ordering online just silly as a whole?
  • parkrunner
    Options
    I've already explained why I ordered food when I did. I have free deliveries on Tues-Thrs, was busy on Thursday so Wednesday evening was the only time I could take a food order. Unlike DPD, I am a lone individual, not a company with a 38,000 employees and £1bn turnover. I can't simply say 'oh, I'll do it tomorrow, or get one of the 37,999 other people to do it'. There's just me.

While you can say it's silly to order food without having the freezer in hand, is it still 'silly' for such a company to book a delivery with me and then not show up?

Which is my point exactly, you were both in the wrong. You appear to be living in a dream world though if you don't realise that a percentage of deliveries will always be missed. The goods as in this case didn't arrive at DPD, the driver can be taken ill half way through his shift, the vehicle can break down, an accident in front could cause long delays, the driver may have an accident, the freezer may not work etc etc. Welcome to the real world.
  • K80_Black
    Options
    Which is my point exactly, you were both in the wrong. You appear to be living in a dream world though if you don't realise that a percentage of deliveries will always be missed. The goods as in this case didn't arrive at DPD, the driver can be taken ill half way through his shift, the vehicle can break down, an accident in front could cause long delays, the driver may have an accident, the freezer may not work etc etc. Welcome to the real world.

Yes, I do realise 'unfortunate things happen'. I don't plan for them happening on every occurrence. If I did, I wouldn't have let my OH drive to work this morning, as crashes happen.

When they happen, I expect to be informed. A 'sorry' wouldn't go amiss.

I was not informed, I was left to contact them, they weren't apologetic and simply said 'it's an automated system, we never received it in the first place'.
  • parkrunner
    Options
    Yes, I do realise 'unfortunate things happen'. I don't plan for them happening on every occurrence. If I did, I wouldn't have let my OH drive to work this morning, as crashes happen.

When they happen, I expect to be informed. A 'sorry' wouldn't go amiss.

I was not informed, I was left to contact them, they weren't apologetic and simply said 'it's an automated system, we never received it in the first place'.

I'm not arguing with any of that, you know what my point was.
  • K80_Black
    Options
    I'm not arguing with any of that, you know what my point was.

That I'm silly for expecting a delivery to arrive on time? Yes, I got that, the first time it was said. No need for you and others to keep repeating it.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You're overlooking the fact that you wouldn't have been able to load the freezer straight away anyway (if you followed the manufacturer guidelines), so ordering freezer food to arrive then same day was unwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure