State pension age equalised for men and women - MSE News

Replies

• trailingspousetrailingspouse Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I was born in 1960, and I will be 58 this year (next week to be precise). I remember walking in to work on my 44th birthday and thinking 'I have 16 more years to go, and that's OK cos I like my job'. Here I am 14 years later (and in a completely different job!!), with 9 years left to go. Funny old world.

But I certainly won't be pretending that I didn't know it was happening. In fact I've been assuming for the last 10 or so years that there won't be a State Pension at all by the time I get there, and making provision accordingly.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    In fact I've been assuming for the last 10 or so years that there won't be a State Pension at all by the time I get there, and making provision accordingly.

I've been making that assumption for the past 15, and will treat it as a nice surprise if both it, and I, make it there...
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • GunJackGunJack Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADD: Women born in 1960 will be 58 this year. Any bets on the first screams of 'but I thought I'd get my pension at 60'...... and graspi2 ?

It happened, yesterday on LBC phone-in, the lady was 57 or 58, and "only found out last year 'coz of WASPI"....

I smell either ostrich or bull-related smells.....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    85.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In fact I've been assuming for the last 10 or so years that there won't be a State Pension at all by the time I get there, and making provision accordingly.

The more telling fact is that an entire generation has prioritised other things over the importance of having a pension at all. Then realising that the state pension is just a back stop. Not the answer.
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It happened, yesterday on LBC phone-in, the lady was 57 or 58, and "only found out last year 'coz of WASPI"....

Radio 2's MoneyBox dug one up last Saturday:
    ... [someone] claiming no knowledge of the impending increase from 60 to 65 when she was around 57, wittering on about it only being 'advertised' in the Financial Times when no housewife worth her salt would be caught dead reading anything other than Bella, Chat, or Women's Weekly where they should have held weekly or monthly articles on the change in state pension age so the poor dears wouldn't forget*
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a man I got a reprieve in 2011 from 66 to 65.5 after already being retired 2 years but the plan had enough give. 363 days to go:j
  • LHW99LHW99 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ye gods! I try and avoid those in the dentist, nevermind for normal reading!
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    LHW99 wrote: »
    Ye gods! I try and avoid those in the dentist, nevermind for normal reading!

Sort of the reaction I was after when I made the original post ;)
  • MndMnd Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Coincidentally my wife is 58 (March)and is well aware that her SPA is 66. Luckily she made other arrangements and built up a fund without knowing about it.
    What is amazing though is the incorrect assumptions made by her colleagues of the same age.
    One woman informed her that she can take her state pension at 60 as long as it's reduced by £35 a week, and one whose birthday was April 1960 is convinced they won't get their state pension until they are 67.
    Also concerning is the assumption that the Auto Enrolment contributions they are making will provide a substantial pension in later years
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • edited 6 December 2018 at 9:20AM
    SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 December 2018 at 9:20AM
    We now have equality from today :beer::beer:

... in the sense that any man reaching State Pension Age (SPA) from now on will reach it at the same time as a woman with the same date of birth.

Although the next men and women to reach SPA won't do so until 6th March 2019. I guess those at the Pension Service who process new State Pension claims can have the Winter off; they may just have to pop in on a Tuesday to process those claiming State Pensions after have deferred them past SPA :snow_laug
    I came, I saw, I melted
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES