50th Birthday, present & party ideas (merged)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
97 replies 27.7K views

Replies

• carolbeecarolbee Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I had a designed and made by one of my sons voucher of a picture of me peeping out from theatre curtains saying starring Carolbee and underneath their photos, saying supported by ...

this was for a slap up meal and theatre trip, which ultimately turned out to be a great day out with all of them at a local zoo with picnic

So I had nothing 'tangible' but wonderful memories, but now I am 50 and a half I hope I can remember for a long time - it was great
    Carolbee
  • Ericson_2Ericson_2 Forumite
    46 Posts
    We'll knock the Saga idea on the head then Pip, slapped wrist

I did read of a man who for his 50th decided to hike around Europe for a year, maybe thats the best present any man can give his wife because she didn't go with him, that is to clutter off for a year.

Asked my wife how she would like to celebrate and a cruise was mentioned all found, Mmm ! looks like its a punt around the local lake then, with Marmite sandwichs thrown in . Perfect.

I do know one thing though regarding your dilemma its the small personal things that get remembered between partners. ;)
    I used to be confused, now I just don't understand ;) :rotfl:
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't remember my 50th birthday, :-)
    but for Christmas last year I told my husband all I wanted was to spend the night at the place where we went for Christmas dinner. We did, it was great, I'm doing the same again this year!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • N9eavN9eav Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Can't remember my 50th birthday, :-)
    but for Christmas last year I told my husband all I wanted was to spend the night at the place where we went for Christmas dinner. We did, it was great, I'm doing the same again this year!

You spent the night at the inlaws?
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N9eav wrote:
    You spent the night at the inlaws?

:rotfl: No, we went to a really nice restaurant that also has four apartments to rent!:rotfl:

And because we are in Spain the whole thing cost less than 80 euros(about £60) for Christmas dinner, drinks and am apartment with a balcony.:beer:
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • alanaleaalanalea Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    My dad bought my mum a stunning gold charm bracelet for her 50th with some charms that ment alot to her: a little garden one with watering can/trowel/fork because she likes gardening, a witch because he calls her a [STRIKE]b[/STRIKE]witch etc

Every christmas/ mothers day/ birthday we all buy her a gold charm which would be personal to her. When my daughter was born, I bought her a pram and rattle charm.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."...Miss piggy
  • PrudentPrudent Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just had my fortieth. I got a herd of goats. Not personally (which is probably appreciated by the neighbours as I live in a semi), but as a gift to a family in Africa.
    I chose this because whilst I live a fairly modest lifestyle, I do have a huge amount compared to most people in the world. I felt for forty years I had the blessing of living with free education, health care and the things I needed (although not necessarily all I wanted, which is different), so wanted to give to those that hadn't had these things. I do not choose to do this every birthday, but wanted to on this occassion.
  • cantcopecantcope Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    How about a second honeymoon? You could renew your vows and be whisked off for the weekend to wherever you went first time around, if you didnt have one, how about the place you really would have liked to go? *jsut noticed you dont mention if you are married* *maybe thats something you could do lol*

I like that charm bracelet idea. I got one for my 30th last year, after lots of hinting. I love the fact that at the moment it only has 4 charms on it and i can build it up slowly.

A piece of jewellery is always nice. Maybe you could design a ring or a pendant and get it made?

Whatever you decide I hope you have a fab birthday x
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • NARNAR Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    As part of my present I had a glider flight over the Cliffs of Dover, which was absolutely fantastic!
  • LondonDivaLondonDiva Forumite
    3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    flying lessons! dinner cooked at home by the devine Gordon Ramsey? or something you've always wanted to do but never got round to?
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals