Teaching Pension

Options
Started work (teacher) in 1976. I resigned from teaching in the 80s but took out a private pension in the 80s for a few years. When I returned to teaching I was advised to transfer my private pension into the teachers' pension scheme (Scotland). I did this and continued to work as a teacher until October this year - I am 64 and I've had enough! I have "retired" a few times - each time restarting and I have been with a few authorities. However my pension seems quite low and after sending a few e mails to the superannuation scheme (they don't answer for 6 weeks) I have the impression that they have not given me my full pension eg private pension - was it put into my teachers pension? I can't remember the name of my private pension! Were all the authorities contacted? I certainly paid into the pension but cannot recall how much was paid in but trusted the councils and Superannuation Scheme to get it right! Are they transparent? Who can check this for me?

Comments

• Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you tried registering to see your record online?

https://mypension.sppa.gov.uk/Register.aspx

Most online portals will show your service dates and any transfers in.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    garry_s wrote: »
    Started work (teacher) in 1976. I resigned from teaching in the 80s but took out a private pension in the 80s for a few years. When I returned to teaching I was advised to transfer my private pension into the teachers' pension scheme (Scotland). I did this and continued to work as a teacher until October this year

What do your benefit statements from SPPA (the scheme administrator) actually say? They should list all service periods, with transfer-in credits included and marked up accordingly.
  • garry_s
    garry_s Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Looked at my benefit statements which list 2017 and 2018. I know these.
    By the way during my teaching career I did notice that benefit statements were posted out but sometimes they did not appear!
  • garry_s
    Options
    Looked at my benefit statements - only two years. Looked at my pension - there is no mention of what has been paid in . I just need to know if and when my private pension was paid in and the various contributions from different councils/authorities.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2018 at 12:20PM
    Options
    Looked at my benefit statements - only two years. Looked at my pension - there is no mention of what has been paid in . I just need to know if and when my private pension was paid in and the various contributions from different councils/authorities.

Really, as highlighted by Drp8713 and hyubh, you need to check with the scheme administrators.

When did you return to teaching? You can always post the salary and years you did and explain why you think the pension is so low? Are you sure that you paid the contribution for example? The fact you only received benefit statement for last two years seems strange.
  • garry_s
    Options
    Started in 1976 - left in 1985 but returned in 1988.

Retired in 2013 but returned in 2015.
    The benefit statements were always posted out. (to the school you worked in or to your home) I remember in the 80s and 90s saying in the staffroom that I was disappointed that no benefit statements were available in some years but no one bothered and seemed to accept that excuse. Here is the benefit statement for 2018:

Estimate of CARE benefits at 31/03/2018 payable at State Pension Age
    CARE Earnings £36,151.90
    CARE Accrual Rate 1/57
    CARE pension to date £1,167.94
    CARE Death Grant £108,455.70
    CARE Potential Survivor's Pension £437.98
    CARE Additional Pension Benefits £0.00
  • garry_s
    Options
    I should say that I have retired but kept on working. So I retired under the old pension final salary scheme but contributed(when I went back to work) under the average salary scheme.
  • globetraveller
    Options
    Did you actually retire and take your pension?
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I should say that I have retired but kept on working. So I retired under the old pension final salary scheme but contributed(when I went back to work) under the average salary scheme.

Okay, so why do you believe that the old pension final salary scheme is too low? CARE pension looks fine btw. Very good deal for something you will get in two years time. You would need a £40k pension pot to get something similar.

Kind Regards
    Joe
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,037 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but STPS (Scottish Teachers Pension Scheme) and TPS (England and Wales) appear to be two separate schemes.

If you accrued benefits in both - and didn't amalgamate them or even tell one about the other - then the pension you are currently receiving may not be in respect of your full entitlement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure