Is a SkyQ self setup possible?

Comments

• HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Yes, that's why I mainly inhabit the PPI and Consumer boards! :D

Just to clarify, I have the same opinion of Virgin decoders being put on sale by people who don't own them but I don't work for Virgin either!

We are losing sight of the topic of this thread, which is whether a Q box can be self-installed. The answer is that Sky will not allow a Q box to be (re) activated without an accompanying Sky Q subscription. Sky charge for the conversion of Sky+HD to Q and I can't see them making any exception simply because the previous occupant of the property has left their Q decoder behind.

(I also agree that the Q box being rental removes the possibility of it being used by ex-customers to view Free To Air channels after cancellation. Obviously, a deliberate ploy by Sky which I definitely do not support)

Thanks for being honest that you are a Sky employee - it explains much!
    Of course on a money saving forum, such as this - the best way to save cash, is NOT to spend it on Sky subscriptions, when there is more than sufficient free stuff, on Freeview & Freesat!.
    That is my view anyway.

Why not call yourself, Sky PR ? that would be even more honest.

No need to copycat the BBC/Capita PR types, that haunt Digital spy & occasionally here :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    HWW wrote: »
    Thanks for being honest that you are a Sky employee - it explains much!
    I was attempting to be sarcastic, but it was obviously lost on you.:eek:

Why would I spend the overwhelming majority of my time here posting about PPI if I worked for Sky?

I have no affiliation with Sky nor any other telecoms provider. My opinions are my own and I doubt Sky would approve even of the posts I've made in this thread.

Incidentally, I'm also of the opinion that not having a PayTV subscription is the most moneysaving option, but that was not the topic of this thread.
  • HWW
    I was attempting to be sarcastic, but it was obviously lost on you.:eek:

Why would I spend the overwhelming majority of my time here posting about PPI if I worked for Sky?

I have no affiliation with Sky nor any other telecoms provider. My opinions are my own and I doubt Sky would approve even of the posts I've made in this thread.

Incidentally, I'm also of the opinion that not having a PayTV subscription is the most moneysaving option, but that was not the topic of this thread.
    I've not seen your other posts - I assume you are against the PPI phone pests?.
    Sarcasm, never works well on forums. Best to be open and honest in my view. Plus live in the REAL world, where Sky & other ex Subs boxes, are a handy source of HDDs, once subscribers "See the light"

Picked up a pretty new BT Youview box at a car boot the other day for £5 - seller thought it was useless because they had changed to talk-talk :rotfl: works great as a stand-alone freeview recorder.
  • misterbarlow
    misterbarlow Posts: 466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2018 at 1:51PM

We are losing sight of the topic of this thread, which is whether a Q box can be self-installed. The answer is that Sky will not allow a Q box to be (re) activated without an accompanying Sky Q subscription. Sky charge for the conversion of Sky+HD to Q and I can't see them making any exception simply because the previous occupant of the property has left their Q decoder behind.

(I also agree that the Q box being rental removes the possibility of it being used by ex-customers to view Free To Air channels after cancellation. Obviously, a deliberate ploy by Sky which I definitely do not support)

Well, just goes to show how much you actually know about the subject then doesn't it, as I have done it today, and its currently working fine (for the time being)!

I swapped the LNB this morning, swapped the box over, put card in, it said card needs to be paired, go to setup to pair card, did this, said card paired, and it exited to BBC1HD.

Been through all channels I have all my correct channels, settings, menus, planner, on demand, all working fine!
    I access my account in the menu and its all my info..
    It records fine, it downloads fine!!!

So YES you can do a Q self install, probably why there are boxes for sale on ebay!

As I already said, you only need a Q sub to use Q enhanced features like multiroom streaming, UHD, miniboxes etc, but without a Q sub the box still works as a standalone box, which is all I want.

Sky mainly only charge for upgrading from HD to Q as they have to send an tech out to physically change the LNB.

Yes Sky 'rent' the Q box only so much as if you have a sub, they send you one to use and the rental is basically your sub, and when you end that sub, they want it back.

Just like Virgin, this will rarely happen, I go into empty houses every day with my job, and have seen hundreds and hundreds of virgin boxes left behind over the years!

If you are a new Sky customer they will send you Q with any size package even a basic one like mine, but when as a 25yr existing customer I asked for Q box at my renewal haggle in July, they said i'd have to take out extra channels like movies or sports, or pay for the box. (even though it would never be mine)
    Nice loyalty reward!

And so its not blatant theft, I have a basic sky sub, so now "I" am 'renting' this particular box using my sub, until such time as I choose not to pay a sky sub!!
  • Well, just goes to show how much you actually know about the subject then doesn't it, as I have done it today, and its currently working fine (for the time being)!...

...If you are a new Sky customer they will send you Q with any size package even a basic one like mine, but when as a 25yr existing customer I asked for Q box at my renewal haggle in July, they said i'd have to take out extra channels like movies or sports, or pay for the box!
    Nice loyalty reward!...

Good to know, have you tried recording multiple channels and watching another at the same time yet?

I've got a 1TB Q box coming in a fortnights time which cost me £20 with no change to my contract (Boxsets @ 50% off on a rolling monthly contract) but previously they've always quoted me either £199 one off payment or an additional £12 a month for the "Sky Q experience" (for 18 months) despite not wanting multi-room or 4K.

Edit: I did have the feeling it would work but Sky can still (apparently) disable the box if they wish.
  • misterbarlow
    misterbarlow Posts: 466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2018 at 1:51PM
    Yeah its all working fine, you only get 4x tuners, only with a Q sub do you get the full 8, and some of those are reserved for slinging OTA to miniboxes anyway. 4 is plenty!

Sky can brick the box if they chose, but they probably have hundreds of thousands if not millions floating about the country, knowing big companies they probably wont waste the money or resources chasing odd ones.. Virgin never do..
    and at the end of the day I am paying them a sub, they prob dont care!!

Just noticed the firmware was old so did a force update and that worked fine also, i'm sure if it was on any blacklist they wouldn't have updated it and would have bricked it then..?

And if they do, the old LNB and HD box are under the stairs... ten mins and i'm back up and running!!!
  • HWW
    Thanks Misterbarlow, that's what I call detailed help.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Awful lot of effort when the current new customer deal is £20 set up and £10 a month for eighteen months for the Entertainment pack.
    Sky are MUCH more on the ball at turning them into bricks than Virgin too.
    (And yes I do work for them )

Still if saving £2.50 a week is worth it to you .......... my time is worth more than that though ....each to their own.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy wrote: »
    Awful lot of effort when the current new customer deal is £20 set up and £10 a month for eighteen months for the Entertainment pack.
    Sky are MUCH more on the ball at turning them into bricks than Virgin too.
    (And yes I do work for them )

Still if saving £2.50 a week is worth it to you .......... my time is worth more than that though ....each to their own.

If you worked for them you'd know that Entertainment is priced at £20 a month not £10.

And how exactly do you think they'll get a Q box as an existing customer as they generally quote £199 or an additional £12 a month for 18 months?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    And so its not blatant theft, I have a basic sky sub, so now "I" am 'renting' this particular box using my sub, until such time as I choose not to pay a sky sub!!
    I wonder how long the box will continue to work?

I certainly don't know (and why would I? ) :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure