Vet fees and the law

Options

Comments

• ItsLikeThis
    Options
    We need legislation that forces all vets to publish their fees.
    The elderly especially are vulnerable to costs.
    Many veterinary practices have closed down over the last few years due to customers becoming unable to pay for high vet bills; there is now a real trend of animals not receiving medical treatment because of cost and more and more animals are being dumped and abandoned.
    :j
  • ItsLikeThis
    Options
    Glad you have had a really positive experience.:j
  • ItsLikeThis
    Options
    Just a change in the law would generally negate the need to ask.
    Obviously extra costs can mount up due to complications, etc.
    But, many people now are cash strapped. Sadly.
  • ItsLikeThis
    Options
    There are a couple of chain veterinary companies who have been criticised for charging three times the normal costs; my cousin sold his vet practice to a well known sharp practice chain and they literally doubled all charges overnight; and trebbled some procedures with appalled reactions from existing customers, including myself!
    The ruthlessness was breathtaking, with one elderly lady almost in tears when she exclaimed that their charges had doubled.
  • selement
    selement Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Have you tried asking them?

I'm sure they would tell me if I asked but I would much prefer the information to be accessible online! Again I dislike businesses that make you ask. I would rather know what I'm getting into!

I use their companion care scheme which does have it's price listed and includes a vet consultation a year so I haven't bothered to ask. If they need to go in beyond this they need to go in. It just annoys me the information isn't presented anywhere.
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My cat is 15 and kidney problems when I take her for a 2 monthly blood test or get her medications I get two receipts.

One shows the amount I paid and the other is an itemized bill showing each product the quality and the price the consultation fee plus VAT.

Any other time I have gone to my vet for anything the same thing two receipts one for the bill amount and the other itemized.

They also have a large notice in the waiting room saying if you have a problem with the bill or cannot pay please speak to someone about it. Oh and they no longer are able to accept Amercian Express cards

I actually hang on to my receipts for a few months as a previous practice had a computer problem and sent letters asking if I had paid. Which I was able to prove.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do get your point.

Our vet never displayed fees.

We would never know what the bill would be until we paid at reception.

On a consultation they would just given an injection, ear drops, cream etc. and write a prescription out. What was the point of asking the cost if our pet needed it, who would say no at that point?

We were annoyed though when one time they did a test which cost us £60 'just in case' the cream prescribed did not work.(We did not find this out until the follow up appointment.)
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Legislation is a blunt instrument and implementation could take years. Not only that would it really be in the public interest to bring criminal prosecutions for failing to display a price list?

It would be massive waste of public money and court time.

I agree with the sentiment behind the post but I don't think legislation is the right way to go.

A better solution perhaps would be a code of practice for vets that practices could sign up to. It would give some clear standards for vets that would be simple for the public to understand.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Legislation is a blunt instrument and implementation could take years. Not only that would it really be in the public interest to bring criminal prosecutions for failing to display a price list?

It would be massive waste of public money and court time.

I agree with the sentiment behind the post but I don't think legislation is the right way to go.

A better solution perhaps would be a code of practice for vets that practices could sign up to. It would give some clear standards for vets that would be simple for the public to understand.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-standards/advice-and-guidance/code-of-professional-conduct-for-veterinary-surgeons/supporting-guidance/practice-information-and-fees/
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The current code says provided on request. The op wants it to be displayed which would only require a small change to the code of practice.

A much easier solution than legislation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure