Vet fees and the law

Options
:money:Pet owners deserve the right to see every veterinary practice clearly displaying their set fees for jabs, procedures and any of the services offered to the paying public.
It is a disgrace that legislation has not been passed making it mandatory and a legal requirement to display and publish these charges. We DEMAND action! Finally!
Too often, vets fail to warn, for example, hard-up retirees and cash-strapped folk (like most of us these days!), just how much the cost is.
Obviously we advise all pet owners to ask the vet for a 'quotation'; that helps to budget anything outside of the insurance remit, or for anyone wanting to make an informed choice, rather than feeling rushed into mounting expenses.
Although most vets are quite happy to disclose a final cost, some are far too secretive or just plain vague, even if the charges would be easy to add-up.
Far too many people are treated like mushrooms and then landed with what can be a massive bill.
Thoughts please!:huh:

DO YOU WANT VETS TO PUBLISH BASIC AND OTHER CHARGES? 55 votes

YES
74% 41 votes
NO
25% 14 votes

Comments

• seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "treated like mushrooms"?
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    That's not been my experience of Vets. The practice we use (and ahve done so for many years and a variety of pets) have a range of common treatment and consultation fees on display, and have always advised of what the cost is likely to be of tests/treatments/procedures beforehand. I can honestly say that the practice has never treated us like mushrooms.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The vets I use, has a price display board near reception desk, and another large sign saying something like ' if you are not sure of the fees payable please ask'

When my cat was ill recently, the vet told me the options for treatment, I asked about cost and he told me all the various costs, without making me feel awkward.

I always think for anything, if you are not sure how much, or what you are being charged for, or whats included, but part of the cost is an add on, ASK!
    Common sense really.............
    Breast Cancer Now 100 miles October 2022 100 / 100miles
    D- Day 80km June 2024 0/80km
    Sun, Sea
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 October 2018 at 9:30AM
    Options
    Maybe because vets can't know for certain until they start the procedure what they are going to do or what complications there may be?

If my dog is having a procedure and when they open him up they find something unexpected, they will always phone up to discuss. Quite frankly when my dog is under anaesthetic waiting for a decision, cost isn't top of my list of priorities.

Otherwise, the vet will always say "if it's straightforward it'll be in the region of...."

Consultation fees etc are listed. Nothing to stop you phoning round for comparisons for anything else.

As much as I am a fan of the NHS, it protects us from the true cost of medical treatment and procedures. Which is why when we have to pay for our animals it can come as a bit of a shock.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Just wondering if this thread is a follow-on from this one How Do You Complain About a Vet?
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have always been given an estimate of costs at my vet for medical procedures.

Dental I was told the price for cleaning and then depending on the cost of removing teeth how much it cost to remove a tooth it was £8 per tooth. Of course, they did not know how many teeth would have to be removed until they actually started. For my cat, it was 3 teeth.

One a few occasions I have been given a quote and it turned out to be cheaper and that is what I was charged.

People need to be more proactive and just ask.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it's fair to assume that pet ownership is going to be expensive and plan accordingly. Like humans, animals are living things and generally quite fragile and prone to illness and disease. I don't know how people on very low incomes can afford to have pets and keep them healthy. I'm in no way saying that they shouldn't be allowed to have them, but affordability must be considered.

I suppose vets bills are like private health care for people. My husband has been having cancer treatment for 9 years now. No one could possibly have predicted how much the treatment might cost over those years because each year seemed to bring a new problem to solve.

The best advice is surely to get insurance or self insure, if that's more cost effective, and make sure you know before each treatment what that treatment will cost. I've always found vets easy to talk to and business like when discussing costs. Yes they are expensive, but given the training and costs, that's not too surprising.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,887 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2018 at 11:50AM
    Options
    :money:Pet owners deserve the right to see every veterinary practice clearly displaying their set fees for jabs, procedures and any of the services offered to the paying public.
    It is a disgrace that legislation has not been passed making it mandatory and a legal requirement to display and publish these charges. We DEMAND action! Finally!
    Too often, vets fail to warn, for example, hard-up retirees and cash-strapped folk (like most of us these days!), just how much the cost is.
    Obviously we advise all pet owners to ask the vet for a 'quotation'; that helps to budget anything outside of the insurance remit, or for anyone wanting to make an informed choice, rather than feeling rushed into mounting expenses.
    Although most vets are quite happy to disclose a final cost, some are far too secretive or just plain vague, even if the charges would be easy to add-up.
    Far too many people are treated like mushrooms and then landed with what can be a massive bill.
    Thoughts please!:huh:

Thoughts please?

OK then, this is as good an ignorant rant as I have read in a long while!

Who are "We"?

What gives you the right to own an animal if you are "hard-up retirees and cash-strapped folk" and can't afford to pay for its welfare?

Well you did ask!
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,887 Forumite
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    I think it's fair to assume that pet ownership is going to be expensive and plan accordingly. Like humans, animals are living things and generally quite fragile and prone to illness and disease. I don't know how people on very low incomes can afford to have pets and keep them healthy. I'm in no way saying that they shouldn't be allowed to have them, but affordability must be considered.

I suppose vets bills are like private health care for people. My husband has been having cancer treatment for 9 years now. No one could possibly have predicted how much the treatment might cost over those years because each year seemed to bring a new problem to solve.

The best advice is surely to get insurance or self insure, if that's more cost effective, and make sure you know before each treatment what that treatment will cost. I've always found vets easy to talk to and business like when discussing costs. Yes they are expensive, but given the training and costs, that's not too surprising.

I entirely agree!
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My old vets had the consultation fees, flea/worming, injection and booster, spay/neuter prices listed online and in the practice. Even the treatment and surgery prices were pocket friendly.

Obviously treatment / injuries/ blood tests/scans etc were verbally quoted as and when.

My new vets has no basic prices listed online or in the practice or on leaflets, which could be improved on.

Is it really difficult to advertise a consultation fee so at least you know how much that first fee is to look at your furbaby?

No, I have not had insurance, nor has treatment cost me an arm and a leg. I have always paid as and when required; it is a risk I take and I am lucky to be able to do that. Not everyone is and not everyone can afford the monthly premium.

If I would have been paying insurance I would have been out of pocket in the 24 years I have been owned by my furbabies and paid out more in insurance than the treatment has cost me over the years.

But I have cats, I may or may not change my stance when I get a dog, more than likely I will just keep a bank account going instead.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure