Should I switch to Virgin TV?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
14 replies 2.3K views
Bakerboy3685Bakerboy3685 Forumite
23 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Hi there

Just wondering if anybody can give any feedback on what Virgin are like for TV and if it is worth switching to them?

I have a Sky contract and they have now put my bill up to £76.50 a month for just entertainment and Sports package which is crazy! Virgin can do broadband and all tv channels for £83 a month for 6 months then it increases to £109. I know that's not cheap but it is still a saving on what I'm paying now.

I'm just a bit apprehensive as Virgin don't seem to have as good customer service and people say the box is more fiddly to use. Plus Sky will probably be like a child grabbing my leg and refusing to let go!

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Entertainment & full Sports only costs £42 a month I think so where does your £76.50 come from?

How can paying more be cheaper? Paying £83 for 6 months and £109 for 12 months(?) works out to just over £100 a month. You're not kidding it's not cheap.

Going off my experience at work (I speak to lots of people on Virgin and Sky, I have Sky myself) I wouldn't touch Virgin with a barge pole.
  • edited 2 October 2018 at 4:28PM
    Bakerboy3685Bakerboy3685 Forumite
    23 Posts
    edited 2 October 2018 at 4:28PM
    I should have said I have the all singing Sky Q which warrants a premium.

Plus that price with Sky does not include broadband that is another separate cost I pay!

I was fearful you might say that about Virgin.
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the Sky Q premium £12 so that is £54. Where dos £76.50 come from?
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I should have said I have the all singing Sky Q which warrants a premium.

Plus that price with Sky does not include broadband that is another separate cost I pay!

I was fearful you might say that about Virgin.

Which as giraffe69 says would cost £12 (people BTW are getting that waived now) would still only come in at around £54. Are you sure you're not including your BB/LR in that figure?
  • Here is a breakdown of my latest bill.

Original £23.50
    Sky Sports - Complete Pack £28.00
    Sky+HD Pack £13.00
    Sky Q Multiscreen Pack £12.00
    See It First FREE

Bill total £76.50
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Here is a breakdown of my latest bill.

Original £23.50
    Sky Sports - Complete Pack £28.00
    Sky+HD Pack £13.00
    Sky Q Multiscreen Pack £12.00
    See It First FREE

Bill total £76.50

For a new customer that would cost £47 without multi-room, £59 with. That's for Entertainment, Sports & Entertainment HD.
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Just wondering if anybody can give any feedback on what Virgin are like for TV
    No Sky Atlantic.
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I switched from original to entertainment the saving would have been minute were it not for the fact that the amount for HD seemed very high and mostly disappeared. Have you contacted Sky about your packages? It should be, as above, a lot less than the amount you have been charged.
  • ScarletBeaScarletBea Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently thinking of doing the opposite...
    I'd been with Sky for several years, but last year I moved house and took the chance to move to Virgin, I thought it was going to have more channels and it was £45 for 12 months for everything (tv+bb+phone).
    Now not only will it jump to £55, there's an extra increase and it will cost £58.50.

If I go back to Sky it will be just £33 for 18 months (then moving to £50), but with a £60 one-off fee.
    Based on the difference, it pays itself in less than 3 months, but it's another faffle and hassle, should I do it??
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I left Sky a year ago and ,last week, a check on the listings of my son's Sky,showed nothing to interest me.

Since the summer, I've had an Amazon stick and Prime subscription (less than £5 a month), which gives me all the films, tv catchup , ebooks and music with no ads, that I need, as well as Prime delivery if the Prime price for an item is ok. There are also ad on channels, like Disney, that you can buy.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals