External blue ray writer

Options
Suggestions as external blue ray drives seem rather expensive.
Plan to purchase some blue ray movies from amazon.
Burn them via i3 laptop to writer.disx and transfer them to Apple 4k t.v.
Usb3 preferably -choice seems limited.
Maybe I could avoid the higher cost drive from £80 etc.
Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I really don't understand what you are trying to do. I don't even know what writer.disx might be.

Are you wanting to stream 4k video?
  • A_Pandiculation
    Options
    Do people really buy physical disks any more?
    Unless you really have some desperate need to hold physical media just download your movies (Amazon for example will let you do this) and you can then convert to whatever file type you want FOC if you know how, complete with 5.1 sound tracks if you have the capability for that.
    The £80 that would be for your burner buys quite a bit of storage for you to store the files.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do people really buy physical disks any more?
    Unless you really have some desperate need to hold physical media just download your movies (Amazon for example will let you do this) and you can then convert to whatever file type you want FOC if you know how, complete with 5.1 sound tracks if you have the capability for that.
    The £80 that would be for your burner buys quite a bit of storage for you to store the files.

Thanks excellent idea -are all movies downloadable via Amazon UK
    I have found The Gril with the dragon tattoo trilogy via blue ray though not yet via download.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    I really don't understand what you are trying to do. I don't even know what writer.disx might be.

Are you wanting to stream 4k video?

I had intended to purchase a blue ray drive external that I could connect to my laptop.
    This drive could read/view blue ray movies+copy or write movies to a blan disc.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Suggestions as external blue ray drives seem rather expensive.
    Plan to purchase some blue ray movies from amazon.
    Burn them via i3 laptop to writer.disx and transfer them to Apple 4k t.v.
    Usb3 preferably -choice seems limited.
    Maybe I could avoid the higher cost drive from £80 etc.

All Blu-Ray external drives are USB 3, though of course they will work in a USB 2 port but it would take much longer.

external Blu-Ray is expensive unfortunately, internal desktop drives are far cheaper. If you have access to a desktop it will be far quicker to get this done than on a laptop.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    I had intended to purchase a blue ray drive external that I could connect to my laptop.
    This drive could read/view blue ray movies+copy or write movies to a blan disc.

I didn't understand why you need them on an optical disc.
    But now you seem to understand that you do not. You can play files directly.
    In addition to this, the Blu Ray disc on Amazon might not be 4K media. The 4K Ultra version is different. So it might just be Full HD; 1080p.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    All Blu-Ray external drives are USB 3, though of course they will work in a USB 2 port but it would take much longer.

external Blu-Ray is expensive unfortunately, internal desktop drives are far cheaper. If you have access to a desktop it will be far quicker to get this done than on a laptop.

Thanks though I'm restricted to i3 laptop.
    Though I've since been a dvised I could use a blue ray rom drive to read purchased discs and use software to transfer them onto HDD -before using more software to copy them into iTunes library which I could then access via Apple4kl t.v.
    Small purchase dvd rom from £25x and 3 blue ray movies £15. -approx give or take a pound or pence.
    This is worth trying -no idea what time it will take via i3 laptop.
    Thanks mse'r seems Amazon yet again for almost all tech purchases.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Thanks though I'm restricted to i3 laptop.
    Though I've since been a dvised I could use a blue ray rom drive to read purchased discs and use software to transfer them onto HDD -before using more software to copy them into iTunes library which I could then access via Apple4kl t.v.
    Small purchase dvd rom from £25x and 3 blue ray movies £15. -approx give or take a pound or pence.
    This is worth trying -no idea what time it will take via i3 laptop.
    Thanks mse'r seems Amazon yet again for almost all tech purchases.

Honestly, don't bother. Buy the BluRay and then download the file from elsewhere.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Honestly, don't bother. Buy the BluRay and then download the file from elsewhere.

Buy the blu ray I understand.
    Download the file from elsewhere I. Don;'t know what you mean.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Then you should check your private messages...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure