PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Sunday 30th September 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning

Comments

• Good morning everyone :wave:

Once again, thank you all for your lovely supportive messages. I do really appreciate them, and it helps to know that I have my ‘virtual friends’ here for me right now.

Just a quick post this morning because my brother is going to collect me early this morning so that I can spend the day with him and my sister in law. He has booked a table for lunch for us, and I think my niece and her boyfriend are coming as well, so I’m looking forward to that.

Before he picks me up I want to sort out the last bits of washing so that I can finish packing tomorrow. I think that should only leave me with the bedding to do on the morning I go into hospital. I want to come home to a clean house, bedding and clothes because I think it will make me feel so much better when I come out of hospital.

My sister in law made me laugh when she phoned me yesterday. She suggested that after my brother collected the clothes to bring into hospital for me earlier in the year and he managed to bring everything other than what I had asked for, that I pin labels to everything they may need to fetch in for me so that he can’t go wrong this time. He did his best though, which is what matters.

My thoughts are with those who are unwell and caring for people who are. Special hugs for the TAs.

I hope that you all have decent Sunday whatever you are doing.
  • Good morning and thank you for starting today's thread Hollyharvey.

There is such a difference in your posts from the last time you were admitted to hospital, such positive planning, it really is quite inspiring. I know you won't be able to post on your phone but being able to read, you will see us all wishing you well.

Sending love to those who would like some, you are all in my thoughts.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Holly, hope you enjoy your family lunch x

Nothing really planned for today, need to rest my knee as it’s still painful, I did manage to spend most of yesterday on the sofa thanks to a mixture of sewing, reading and watching the golf but popped over to the yard to bring my girlie in and give her a groom. She had lost the other shoe though so yet another visit from the farrier, I don’t know if it’s something to do with the fine sandy soil but it happens a lot at this yard :(
    Thoughts are with the TA’s and all those who are poorly or caring for loved ones.
    Have a good day folks x
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,294 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Morning,

Enjoy your time with your brother Holly and family before you go into hospital. Keep thinking those positive thoughts.

Thinking of the TA's

I will be catching up on my own housework today, or rather finding space for things I want to keep from my DM's house.

Have a good Sunday everyone
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly, enjoy your lunch and time with your family

Gentle hugs to all who want/ need them.

Thinking of the TA's,

Weather was lovely again yesterday so we had a little walk and just sat people watching. Came home and watched F1 GP qualifying.
    Not much planned for today.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • Good morning and thanks Holly, for starting. Hope you enjoy your time with the family.

It looks like another fine day, probably chilly though.

Hope your knee improves Lainey, must be painful.

Aod, you seem to be over the worst of your cold, it was a nasty one wasn't it.

We went out yesterday for our picnic, what a beautiful day it was - sunny, breezy, a bit cool, but not bad at all for the end of September.

Gers, you mentioned Bolam Lake, it's near Morpeth isn't it. I know the name but we've never been there, so that could be another expedition for us. It's a country park I believe.

Nice to know that you enjoyed living /working in Newcastle, We are situated between Newcastle and Durham, and within easy reach of some lovely countryside, Northumberland , and North Yorks. The coast is handy for us as well.

West Durham is nice, and now that there are no coal mines a lot of East Durham has been restored to parkland.
    I've done my bit for tourism in this area, I'll shut up now!!

Today what is there in store - I'll nip to Morries, and we'll try and tidy the garden. There's ironing as well, I'm sure it breeds in the basket. Think we'll have chicken casserole tonight, there's some thighs in the freezer. So that's it really.

Hugs all round, hope everyone has a good day.

Take care folks.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning :)

Weathers a bit miserable today. Rainy and dark...suits my waking up mood. Had another daft night of worrying about stuff for some reason and then daft dreams when I was asleep.

Yesterday was busy with work although the online conference was a flop and they only had 2 people turn up and they understandably didn't stay Ended up watching great British Menu on catch up whilst patiently waiting in the virtual room for 4 hours.Some heads may well roll on Monday I suspect. Oh well at least I'm up to date on my chefs now.

Had a great night out at the Indian last night lovely food and a good catch up and as expected enough grub for today too. Will have a slow sunday tidy and try again with some planning to avoid my 3am to do lists.

Holly enjoy your day with bro and sis in law
    Lainey maybe Lu is just being a girl and making sure she has lots of new shoes :)
    Thinking of the TAs as always
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Good morning all, no sun here yet, not popped my head out yet to see how warm it is.
    Holly thank you for the thread, have a great day with your family.
    Lainey pleased you managed to get to Lou, :eek: to the knee pain and the shed shoe though.
    ScarlettRibbons picnic sounds lovely, we stayed just outside Durham on our visit and explored from there, visited one area that is now a park, it had a lighthouse, must ask OH what it was called or find the appropriate diary.
    I Love Comps I hope that you are able to find space for the things you want to keep from DM's home.
    Silver-Oldie have a good day whatever you end up doing.
    Organza_Lace I hope that you get your computer sorted, I am hopeless at writing on my phone

Feeling a little more energetic today, I had a chat with my bestie yesterday and caught up with each other's news, also phoned mum who sounded better, she has been prescribed stronger pain killing patches and I could tell from her voice they were working. Off to see her later, in time to get her lunch and then call into Morries for a few things, only have a small T and an A*di here so choice is limited. Round trip of about 30 miles, so will be out for a few hours. OH is scheduled to watch the cycling this afternoon, so I won't be missed:rotfl:

Best wishes to the TA's Polly, Taff and anyone that is struggling, take care.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Morning friends. I have been absent for a few days, things not good here. Bob is asleep more than he is awake now. Thanks in part to the disease and also the morphine. As well as the SR patch he now has a syringe driver. He gets breakthrough pain now and then so they give him a top up of Oramorph to keep him comfortable.

Today is our 46th wedding anniversary and I didn't think last week we would actually reach it but reach it we have.

I just want to add my bit about making the best of every minute. When Bob approached 60 we discussed him taking early retirement and I am so glad he did. We had 5 good years of tripping over to the caravan, enjoying our holidays abroad and having days out with the DGDs, before this horrible disease was diagnosed on the eve of his 65th birthday. If he had delayed retirement until 65 it would have been a much different retirement. Though we still managed to fit in UK holidays and trips to the caravan, in between hospital visits and treatments, before the disease went rampant 6 months ago. Enjoy every minute whilst you can folks you don't know what life is waiting to throw at you.

Take care all and ((HUGS)) for all in need of them xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2018 at 9:06AM
    Good morning everyone, I had a good sleep and have caught up on Messenger with my brother in Oz, who's been a bit quiet lately so it was reassuring to touch base with him.

Holly, you sound very organised, and I agree that it's so good for morale to come home to a clean and tidy house. Enjoy your lunch out, a nice reward after your exertions.

I love the Northumberland and Durham areas, must revisit next year as it's a few years since I've been. I've never made it to Alnick Castle, as I got outvoted by the people I was with. Thanks for the inspiration, SR! I've a nice wee buzz of anticipation now.

Today I have the usual Sunday stroll with two friends, with a cuppa at the end, and then canasta with other friends in the afternoon. We all find ourselves single through divorce or bereavement, and often with family overseas, so we meet up for canasta and much hilarity every other Sunday afternoon, it's a very cheery way to spend a couple of hours.

Wishing you the best day possible, especially the poorlies and carers. Adding in, cross posted with TA, you're so right, time is very precious and how wise to have gone for MrTA retiring at 60. Sending love and hugs xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure