HSBC new current account opening woes

Hi,

I am new to forum and UK and sorry for a long post. I recently arrived in UK to work for an IT firm in London and even tough things are so good so far, i have been shocked by UK banking sector and how they treat customers. I am new to UK so don't have any traditional proof of address document as I am living in a shared house. I have tried opening a basic bank account in ALL possible banks in UK to receive my salary which will is due next week but almost all of them require a valid proof of address to open the bank account. My employer recommended HSBC as all of his immigrant employees have used a reference letter for employer as valid proof of address and HSBC have been very welcoming. I applied online on 25th of August for a bank account and received a email that I have been allocated time on 12th September to receive a phone call for safeguarding process which i never received. On calling to their helpline, i was told it was "accidentally" missed by their staff but they were "kind enough" to issue me another day in same week for safeguarding process which was completed in 40 minutes call. I was then asked to submit copy of passport, BRP and reference letter to branch which i did the next day. The lady who handled my documents asked me to call their helpline on Monday and my account should be up and running in couple of working days. I have been calling their helpline daily since then and after waiting 15 minutes on hold, i have been told that they don't have any update on my account opening and asked to call back again next day again which i have been doing ever since with same response. Today on call, i was told that they are waiting for response from "on boarding team" and it can even take a month for that to arrive so they can't provide any time frame. SURPRISE!. I am posting here to ask about any possible option I have to receive my salary (employer won't provide me my salary in cash, i know it's not how things are done here) but I have rent to pay in few days time. Can i receive my salary in one of "Pre-Paid cards/accounts" as my employer pays by bank transfer so are those cards chargeable by bank transfers? Any help would be really appreciated and do banks really treat their customers like dirt or it's just the new customers without proof of address?

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    !!!!!! is an onboarding team do they think they are the cruise liner or something
  • I didn't even had the urge to ask them that. I am sure they are giving me this BS since they kind of know they are the only one even willing to accept a reference letter as proof of address hence I have not many choices even tough i have a decent take home pay.
  • I have been to HSBC branch to submit my passport, BRP copies and original employment reference letter. I have tried Barclays, Halifax, TSB, Santander and everyone else online and in-branch but all of them require a utility bill which I obviously don't have. Any idea regarding pre-paid cards? Can i ask my employer to transfer my salary to one of them via bank transfer?
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have been to HSBC branch to submit my passport, BRP copies and original employment reference letter. I have tried Barclays, Halifax, TSB, Santander and everyone else online and in-branch but all of them require a utility bill which I obviously don't have. Any idea regarding pre-paid cards? Can i ask my employer to transfer my salary to one of them via bank transfer?

They don't need a utility bill, just a proof of address. Do you happen to have police registration certificate by any chance?

Have you tried your rent contract?

My suggestion would be to go to Lloyds and to speak to the branch manager. In my experience it works as they are very helpful. (In London I've tried branches somewhere near Harrods and another one close to Whitechapel underground.)
  • AlexPF
    AlexPF Posts: 31 Forumite
    Download and open a Monzo account. https://monzo.com/blog/2018/05/29/getting-bank-account-immigrant/

Get your salary paid there and then decide where to go :)
  • I had face similar issues as you are going through. You had waste alot of time by trying to escape the requirement of proof of address. Below are the few things you can do now.

1. If you are living in shared accommodation in a home. You can ask landlord or the guy on whose name the utility is right now, to add your name on the utility bill it will only take 5/10 minutes only. After that ask the utility company to send you bill either by email or post.

2. You should register yourself with Local council to register yourself on Electoral Register. This will help you alot in future as well. Although it will take at least 3/4 Weeks. After that you can ask council to provide you letter by email.

3. Once you get either of these document, you can open 1 e-bank account such as Starling which will be open within a day for urgent use meanwhile start process to get a regular bank account.
  • bluffer
    bluffer Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    they are not treating you like dirt, ( although they do seem to have made a couple of mistakes ) they have to comply with government regulations about know your customer to prevent money laundering / financial crime etc etc.

an online bank might not be able to do something different if you have no electronic trail either.

have you spoken to your employer to see what they can suggest?
    2023 wins - zilch, nada, big fat duck. quack quack,
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    second the above - try monzo download the app from google play store and apply
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Some of the suggestions on this thread are bizzare.
    An online bank isn't going to work with electronic ID checks...

Have you tried a bank that is used to dealing with foreign nationals e.g. State Bank of India

Metro Bank might also be a option if you have access to their branch network.
  • Online bank account can also be created without electronic ID check. If a person dont have enough online presence then they request to upload utility bill or council Tax record for verification.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure