Economy Energy refusing Refund of Credit Balance

Options

Comments

• Mr.Everready
    Options
    amcg100 wrote: »
    Thankfully I heard about them going down just in time to cancel my DD which is due tomorrow. It is a shame they've gone since I was on a really good deal fixed until April 2020 - nothing like it available online today so looks like I'm facing a big increase from £70 per month to over £100.

My DD was taken on the 7th :whistle:
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2019 at 10:45AM
    Options
    My mum is with EE, and like several on this thread have mentioned, there has been an occurance of an "unknown" meter reading on the account, dated 20 December. This reading was some 1000 units more than the actual reading and so when I noted it, I added the correct reading to the online account on 25 December. Yet a bill was produced on 28 December and that ignored the correct, lower readings. I'm sure this will be corrected by any appointed new supplier.

However, my main point here is in relation to the Warm Home Discount Scheme. Mum is within the "core" group and should receive this. However, I note to date that EE have not paid it into mum's account. So, I'm hoping that whoever OFGEM appoint to take over the account will be a part of the scheme, as not all of them are!

In a conversation with the Warm Home Discount Scheme team just now, I am given assurance that this discount will still be payable from the new supplier. But, the guy I spoke to did say that other recent failures had their accounts moved to new suppliers who are a part of the scheme. So the hope is that OFGEM do factor in this requirement when deciding who to shift to.
  • JuneS
    JuneS Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    kendizle wrote: »
    I am owed over £300 from my last energy supplier that I left in May 2018. Since then Ive been with Outfox and as of January have now returned back to British Gas. Ive been asking for my money back and a final bill for the past 6 months, the final request was in September.

How long do I have to wait to get my money back? Ive contacted the ombudsman but this seems to have stalled and if I'm honest Im lacking in the confidence of their power to effect any actions. Over a year ago they resolved an issue I had with Avro where I was to be awarded £50. This never materialised despite numerous requests.

What is my best cause of action to get my money back? Small claims court?

Thanks in advance

You can apply to the court to issue an order that aligns with the ombudsman ruling that awards you £50 - but it will probably cost you more than £50 in court fees.
    (Do not start a newclaim in court, as that leaves the door open to potentially challenge the agreed resolution of the ombudsman ... and there is a possibilty a court will then find in the defendants favour.)

The ombudsman will have informed you that the supplier must comply after both parties have accepted the resolution, and how you can request the ombudsmans asssitence to ensure compliance.

In fact, the energy ombudsman even have a special team that do just that.
  • ajrh
    ajrh Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good call that the DD can be cancelled Ive just done this with my bank, sadly they took the last one on 3rd January. I have no desire to give them any more money, I was one of the ones they jacked the DD for one utility, thankfully only £7 a month

I do have a concern though which perhaps this forum can answer.
    I (foolishly) joined them in May on the switch saver tariff. my welcome pack email said that the tariff was fixed at 11.69p per KWH for electric and 2.15p per KWH for gas with the respective standing charges of 23.10p & 29.40p per day. I had had this confirmed verbally by the company in a phone call in November but I see that the switch saver on their website eludes to a variable tariff and the MSE energy saving club and other comparison sites indicate that the rates are way higher. basically, what is the truth and do I have any recourse with ofgem if it is variable now the company has gone to the wall.

thanks
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 12:51PM
    Options
    To all those who are concerned - make sure you read your meters and keep a record. In fact start reading them weekly so you've got some evidence of your ongoing consumption.

Download as much info off the site as you can before it gets switched off. Make sure you've kept your welcome info specifying what tariff you are on and check any online bills for errors.

If you know you are in credit - based on actual meter readings, not on erroneous bills- and they've taken another DD then invoke the DD Guarantee to get it back.

And finally put a bit more effort into reading meters, keeping track of bills or statements and getting them corrected if they are wrong.

Also make sure that your direct debits are tracking your consumption profile to balance at the end of your contract so you dont end up hundreds in credit or in arrears.

It's your money, take more care of it and dont let the energy companies dictate.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    For those who haven't yet received a communication. Ovo Energy has been appointed by OFGEM to take over the accounts. Here is an extract from their email:

You may have heard that Economy Energy Trading Ltd, your supplier, has ceased trading.

We are delighted to tell you that the GB energy regulator Ofgem has selected OVO Energy to take over the supply of your energy.

Rest assured that your service will continue uninterrupted. This email explains what happens next.

What to do next

Over the next couple of weeks we will transfer your account to our systems. It is best not to change to another supplier during this time as it may delay your switch.

If you are in the process of switching to another supplier, it will continue to be processed as normal. However it may take a little longer than usual.

What price will I pay?

You will move onto our OVO Energy variable plan. We’ll send all the details of your new energy rates in the next few weeks. On this plan you can switch away at any time without paying any exit fees.

It’s time to take a meter reading

Please take a meter reading as soon as you can and note it down. We will ask you to provide it when your account transfers to us.

What happens to my Direct Debit and balance?

As part of transferring your account we will also transfer your existing Direct Debit. There’s nothing you need to do. Any credit balance will also be reviewed.

We’ll review your Direct Debit amount and payment date (as we do for all customers) – and if any changes are needed, we’ll let you know well in advance before we change anything.

Who is OVO?

OVO is the UK’s largest independent energy supplier. We have been operating since 2009. To find out more about OVO Energy, take a look at our website.

Questions?

We have set up a dedicated phone line on 0330 102 7407 to answer your questions or for more information take a look at our frequently asked questions page.

Thanks,
    The OVO Team
  • amcg100
    amcg100 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    To all those who are concerned - make sure you read your meters and keep a record. In fact start reading them weekly so you've got some evidence of your ongoing consumption.

Download as much info off the site as you can before it gets switched off. Make sure you've kept your welcome info specifying what tariff you are on and check any online bills for errors.

If you know you are in credit - based on actual meter readings, not on erroneous bills- and they've taken another DD then invoke the DD Guarantee to get it back.

And finally put a bit more effort into reading meters, keeping track of bills or statements and getting them corrected if they are wrong.

Also make sure that your direct debits are tracking your consumption profile to balance at the end of your contract so you dont end up hundreds in credit or in arrears.

It's your money, take more care of it and dont let the energy companies dictate.
    I would like to endorse all of the above but would add that taking a picture of the meter with a witness present would also protect you.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, then perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau
  • amcg100
    amcg100 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    For those who haven't yet received a communication. Ovo Energy has been appointed by OFGEM to take over the accounts. Here is an extract from their email:

You may have heard that Economy Energy Trading Ltd, your supplier, has ceased trading.

We are delighted to tell you that the GB energy regulator Ofgem has selected OVO Energy to take over the supply of your energy.

Rest assured that your service will continue uninterrupted. This email explains what happens next.

What to do next

Over the next couple of weeks we will transfer your account to our systems. It is best not to change to another supplier during this time as it may delay your switch.

If you are in the process of switching to another supplier, it will continue to be processed as normal. However it may take a little longer than usual.

What price will I pay?

You will move onto our OVO Energy variable plan. We’ll send all the details of your new energy rates in the next few weeks. On this plan you can switch away at any time without paying any exit fees.

It’s time to take a meter reading

Please take a meter reading as soon as you can and note it down. We will ask you to provide it when your account transfers to us.

What happens to my Direct Debit and balance?

As part of transferring your account we will also transfer your existing Direct Debit. There’s nothing you need to do. Any credit balance will also be reviewed.

We’ll review your Direct Debit amount and payment date (as we do for all customers) – and if any changes are needed, we’ll let you know well in advance before we change anything.

Who is OVO?

OVO is the UK’s largest independent energy supplier. We have been operating since 2009. To find out more about OVO Energy, take a look at our website.

Questions?

We have set up a dedicated phone line on 0330 102 7407 to answer your questions or for more information take a look at our frequently asked questions page.

Thanks,
    The OVO Team
    Interesting that they think they can set up a direct debit = so they have effictively purchased the banking details for 300,000 people? wow !! ........ I'll be checking my bank to make sure they are not taking money.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, then perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau
  • Robert_Turnock
    Options
    I am in a position where I left economy energy in September 2018. I complained to the company and latterly the ombudsman but four months later I have still not received the amount of £200 I am owed in credit from when my account was closed. Does anybody know what the official position is on how I can get my money back?
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    I am in a position where I left economy energy in September 2018. I complained to the company and latterly the ombudsman but four months later I have still not received the amount of £200 I am owed in credit from when my account was closed. Does anybody know what the official position is on how I can get my money back?

There is a section on Ofgem's website that alludes to answering your queation:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/extra-help-energy-services/ofgem-safety-net-if-your-energy-supplier-goes-out-business
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure