When Banks don't Act on FOS Findings

Options

Comments

• Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Reassuring to see that the original decision has been upheld, although I don't think there was ever much prospect of the figure being reduced, despite the adjudicator's assertions! Disappointing that no notice seems to have been taken of the delay issue (after this seemed to be confirmed as being in scope), and of course TSB still haven't actually paid up so this shouldn't be referred to in the past tense just yet....

I have said that I won't accept the decision in full unless the delay is addressed in full, am I being reasonable?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cotta wrote: »
    I have said that I won't accept the decision in full unless the delay is addressed in full, am I being reasonable?
    It depends on your expectations (and how you've expressed them) I suppose - as I think I've posted before, I do feel that it would have been appropriate for TSB to be sanctioned in some way but don't necessarily translate that into additional compensation for you.... Have you explicitly made the case that the impact of the delay is a significant amount of your time (and money? on calls, etc)?
  • Cotta
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    It depends on your expectations (and how you've expressed them) I suppose - as I think I've posted before, I do feel that it would have been appropriate for TSB to be sanctioned in some way but don't necessarily translate that into additional compensation for you.... Have you explicitly made the case that the impact of the delay is a significant amount of your time (and money? on calls, etc)?

It's not so much that I am looking for additional compensation, however I said when logging the complaint and as recently as last week that I wanted this aspect looked at to which the Ombudsman agreed to.
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good going Cotta. I think you should inform them to take note of the delay though I am not sure how you would phrase it better than you already have.
  • Cotta
    Options
    The adjudicator has just sent the following:

Dear Mr. Cotta,

The Ombudsman has now completed their review and delivered their final verdict. I note that you disagree with their decision so neither you nor the business will be bound by it.

I also note that you have a complaint pending about how this process was managed, how do you wish to proceed with this?

Regqards
    FOS
  • eskbanker
    Options
    No idea why the adjudicator keeps sticking her oar in, did you get any response when highlighting her conduct to the manager who'd taken on your complaint about FOS (can't recall if this is the same person as the ombudsman deciding on the merits of the case itself against TSB)? Seems to me that you should continue to liaise with the manager on the complaint and I'd see the adjudicator as having no role in the discussion anymore.

Having said that, what she says may flag an issue, in that if the way that the case has been recorded within FOS and their systems suggests that you've actually rejected the decision then I doubt that's what you'd wish to happen, unless you really want to die in a ditch about the delay issue. Did the communication about the decision from the ombudsman make it clear what your options are in terms of what you can do if you disagree with it and what the implications would be?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,374 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2019 at 6:05PM
    Options
    I'm confused, has the Ombudsman provided you and TSB with the full written decision and requested your formal response? Or asked you to review the decision prior to it being formalised?

If the former, then I think it's take it or leave it I'm afraid, and I'd definitely clarify you accept the decision and regroup for the subsequent complaint against the FOS. If the latter then I can see why TSB's colleague is getting her knickers in a twist. She's probably worked really hard behind the scenes to ensure the most embarrassing aspect of this case has no mention in the decision.
  • Cotta
    Options
    I accepted the ruling as far as it went but I was unable to accept it in full as TSB's ignoring of the December ruling was not addressed. FOS have taken this as an overall rejection and advised that neither of us are bound by their decision. I've asked to speak to a Manager to resolve this matter.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Ouch - I hope you haven't overplayed your hand here. As per my earlier question and masonic's, what did the communication from the ombudsman actually say in terms of the finality of the decision and your options regarding acceptance or not?
  • Cotta
    Options
    Oh well looks like TSB have won then, easy come, easy go I guess. Thanks to everyone for your help on this case, I really don't recommend the Financial Ombudsman Service at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure