Claims guys, Northern Rock

Options
Hi all1st post

So I've had word that claims guys have been successful with NRAM stating that a Loan in my name had ppi on it, I've received an invoice for them for 36% of £7600 (£2800 or similar) leaving me with £4800, my question is can I now stop the claim and go direct to NRAM to chase them? Or due the work done by the Claims Guys are they entitled legally to.their cut???? I'm confused

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    No. If you signed a contract with them and they posted your complaint for you, you need to pay them £2,800 for the stamp they bought on your behalf.

Is that VAT inclusive? If not, there's another 20% to send their way.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    my question is can I now stop the claim and go direct to NRAM to chase them?

No. Thankfully contract law prevents you from doing such a disgraceful thing.

Your right to cancel is 14 days without charge. After that they can make an admin charge but once the award has been given, the service is deemed to have completed and you cant pull out after that.
    Or due the work done by the Claims Guys are they entitled legally to.their cut???? I'm confused

How can you be confused? You agreed to pay them a lot of money for putting a stamp on an envelope to post it to the free-of-charge-to-use address for PPI complaints for that bank. They have done that and are charging you what you agreed to pay them.

Sure, employing them may well have been a silly thing to do in the first place but once you enter into that contract both sides are bound by the terms of the contract.

The fact that their direct cost is an envelope, a bit of paper and a first class stamp (so about £1.50) doesn't matter. You agreed to employ them as you thought that putting a stamp on an envelope containing a simple questionnaire was too much work for you. It is too late now to try and rectify your mistake.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    36% is probably inclusive of VAT (30% + VAT) but it's a shame the op didn't wait a little before signing up as they now only charge 20% + VAT :p
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes , for the price of a few stamps and a couple of hours of their time they are legally allowed to charge you £2800.

For a few minutes of your own time and the price of a few stamps you could have saved yourself £2792 though.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Yes , for the price of a few stamps and a couple of hours of their time they are legally allowed to charge you £2800.

For a few minutes of your own time and the price of a few stamps you could have saved yourself £2792 though.

Couple of hours? Couple of minutes to fill in a template lol
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you actually signed a contract with them?

I'm not sure from your post whether theyhave told you you're entitled to a refund from so and so and you haven;t yet employed them to do anything, or whether they have successfully complained already to NRAM and the money has already been sent to you....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Ojst
    Ojst Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Blimey your a bundle of joy aren't ya dunstonh!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ojst wrote: »
    Blimey your a bundle of joy aren't ya dunstonh!

I'm not the one that is trying to con a someone out of paying an agreed bill.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Ojst
    Ojst Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Money has not been sent to me yet, I just need to return proof of identity etc, yes I realise its a cop out to get someone else to do it but you don't know my situation, so don't be so quick to judge from your prefect positions!
  • Ojst
    Options
    I'm Not trying to con someone at all I've merely asked a question that has resulted in a tirade of guffaws abuse and nastiness! I bow to all of you with your greatness! For those who have answered without vileness. THANKYOU
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure