DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• Newstart2018_2
    Options
    Hi all
    Newbie here. I have been lurking for a while and having started my Dmp with SC just over a month ago I have found the advice, knowledge and support on here invaluable. Like many of us I had been worrying myself sick about my debt, but am now starting to feel in control.
    I'm just after a little advice, SC wrote to my creditors around 4 weeks ago with my proposed payments, I have received acceptance offers from most of them but there are a few who haven't responded. Should I chase these up. Or work on the basis that no news is good news? I've read that some don't reply but Id like to know!!
    I suppose if they werent happy I'd soon hear from them....!!
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all
    Newbie here. I have been lurking for a while and having started my Dmp with SC just over a month ago I have found the advice, knowledge and support on here invaluable. Like many of us I had been worrying myself sick about my debt, but am now starting to feel in control.
    I'm just after a little advice, SC wrote to my creditors around 4 weeks ago with my proposed payments, I have received acceptance offers from most of them but there are a few who haven't responded. Should I chase these up. Or work on the basis that no news is good news? I've read that some don't reply but Id like to know!!
    I suppose if they werent happy I'd soon hear from them....!!

Don't worry about chasing any who haven't responded. If they haven't written to you complaining then you can assume 'no news is good news'
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Newbie here. I'll post more about my situation when I have time, but just wanted a bit of advice on something if anyone can help.

I've decided I will be starting a DMP (probably self-managed). I've taken the first step of opening a new bank account today (Nationwide) but need to take ID into a branch so there might be a delay on this (hopefully not too long?) Apart from that, I haven't done anything else yet.

I have 2 DDs to creditors due to come out of my current bank account on Monday (one a Personal Loan and one a Credit Card). Is it worth trying to stop those DDs now, and should I do that before I've contacted the creditors? I want to bite the bullet and get started, but also am not sure if this is the right way to go about it?

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Welcome, Deleted_User:wave:. I hope your DMP journey will be a happy one:beer:.

We've all been newbies on here, taking those first scary steps into a DMP. It's reassuring to know that after a very short time, thanks to the help and encouragement of posters who have been there before, the fog will clear and everything will run like clockwork. If there are any small unexpected events along the way, especially at the start, please come back and ask anything you want.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer to your question. I was just wondering if there's still time to cancel DDs that are scheduled to be paid tomorrow. Hopefully, someone else will come along in a bit to advise.

Good luck:beer:
  • Time_To_Change
    Options
    Newbie here. I'll post more about my situation when I have time, but just wanted a bit of advice on something if anyone can help.

I've decided I will be starting a DMP (probably self-managed). I've taken the first step of opening a new bank account today (Nationwide) but need to take ID into a branch so there might be a delay on this (hopefully not too long?) Apart from that, I haven't done anything else yet.

I have 2 DDs to creditors due to come out of my current bank account on Monday (one a Personal Loan and one a Credit Card). Is it worth trying to stop those DDs now, and should I do that before I've contacted the creditors? I want to bite the bullet and get started, but also am not sure if this is the right way to go about it?

I have a similar question to this. I have sent my letters but only heard back from barclaycard so far saying they will freeze interest for 30 days. However I have a CC payment due tomorrow and my loan payment is due to come out. Should I pay these still as I have not heard back from these creditors? I am going self managed from the start so i will probaly have lots more questions to come soon. Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 7 October 2018 at 8:49AM
    Options
    Good morning all.

I popped in to ask something but got sidetracked by welcoming Deleted_User, hence another post.

I know this is a F&F issue maybe more than a DMP one but I know some posters on here have had the same problem and solved it so I thought I'd try here first. Posts on the F&F thread are not as frequent as on here either.

This is a question for anyone who has had a UE debt but wanted to see it off for good and tidy things up rather than just go silent and ignore it. For rather pressing reasons of my own I want to have this debt finalised. I just can't walk away from this debt:o. The fact that it will drop off my file next year anyway is an added incentive.

Advice on the AAD website is NOT to contact creditors or inform them that it is UE and especially the reason WHY it isn't. I assume that's because it might galvanise creditors into action trying again to find the correct info or even concocting some:eek:. So how would it be possible to offer a really low 10% or thereabouts settlement offer without telling them the reason is Unenforceability? I can imagine they'd be much more amenable if they knew that I know it's UE.
  • Slytherin
    Slytherin Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Other than than writing to find out, is there a way to determine if your debt has been bought rather than just temporarily passed over for debt collection?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Slytherin wrote: »
    Other than than writing to find out, is there a way to determine if your debt has been bought rather than just temporarily passed over for debt collection?

Your creditors should inform you if they have assigned the debt. I don't think it always happens though:(. Have you kept all paperwork from your creditors that you can sift through for information? I'd strongly recommend keeping everything your creditors send you just in case any issues crop up.

All my creditors wrote to me whenever they sold a debt and I also had similar letters from the new 'owners' saying what had happened too.
  • January2015
    Options
    Good morning all.

I popped in to ask something but got sidetracked by welcoming Deleted_User, hence another post.

I know this is a F&F issue maybe more than a DMP one but I know some posters on here have had the same problem and solved it so I thought I'd try here first. Posts on the F&F thread are not as frequent as on here either.

This is a question for anyone who has had a UE debt but wanted to see it off for good and tidy things up rather than just go silent and ignore it. For rather pressing reasons of my own I want to have this debt finalised. I just can't walk away from this debt:o. The fact that it will drop off my file next year anyway is an added incentive.

Advice on the AAD website is NOT to contact creditors or inform them that it is UE and especially the reason WHY it isn't. I assume that's because it might galvanise creditors into action trying again to find the correct info or even concocting some:eek:. So how would it be possible to offer a really low 10% or thereabouts settlement offer without telling them the reason is Unenforceability? I can imagine they'd be much more amenable if they knew that I know it's UE.

A few questions to help people think about an answer for you ;)
    1. How long since you contacted the creditor or they contacted you.
    2. How long since any payment was made on this debt
    3. Have they made any settlement offers yet?
    4. If they have, have the settlement offers been gradually improving in your favour?
    5. If you feel comfortable saying - which creditor / DCA is this with?
  • January2015
    Options

You may not be in time to cancel the DDs now, but you can at least try. If you don't even try the money will definitely come out of your bank, but if you try you may be pleasantly surprised come Monday if the funds are still in your bank.

Fingers tightly crossed for you that you manage to cancel the DDs.
  • Time_To_Change
    Options
    You may not be in time to cancel the DDs now, but you can at least try. If you don't even try the money will definitely come out of your bank, but if you try you may be pleasantly surprised come Monday if the funds are still in your bank.

Fingers tightly crossed for you that you manage to cancel the DDs.

I have just looked on my bank and I am able to cancel the direct debit due tomorrow as it asks if I would still like them to pay the one requested tomorrow or cancel this payment aswell. My only concern is that I have not received a reply from tesco bank from my original letter which was sent about a week ago. I requested that any communication is done in writing but I am guessing I will still receive loads of calls tomorrow. My other credit card payment due tomorrow with mbna I usually just log in and pay so I could just avoid doing this but as with tesco bank I have not yet recieved a reply. Should I still avoid paying these? Barclaycard were very quick and replied within a couple of days saying they have put whole on my account and gave me an email address to send my payment offers to. Thanks for the help guys.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback