Schools providing Sanitary protection

Options

Comments

• fabforty
    fabforty Posts: 809 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2018 at 3:55PM
    Options
    phryne wrote: »
    Negligent parents need to be dealt with I would agree, but is the answer to throw money at them. That's what's being debated here, I suppose.

I suppose where we differ is that I don't regard providing sanitary towels to girls, as 'throwing money at their parents'. It's not as if they can choose to have periods or not. I think we will have to agree to disagree.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    bellabella wrote: »
    In all this discussion re useable washable sanitry towels do not seem to have been mentioned better for the environment and after an initial payment or given free then no more issues

And, although Mooncups have been mentioned, nobody's said anythig about menstrual sponges, unless I've missed it.
  • phryne
    phryne Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    And, although Mooncups have been mentioned, nobody's said anythig about menstrual sponges, unless I've missed it.

In a school environment girls need something quick, non-messy and discreet. You know what kids are like! Peering over/under the toilet doors, larking around in the loos, even bullying if it's a rough school.

I don't know about sponges but I would have thought moon cups are unsuitable for a 'novice' and re-useable towels not very practical for school.
  • phryne
    Options
    fabforty wrote: »
    I suppose where we differ is that I don't regard providing sanitary towels to girls, as 'throwing money at their parents'. It's not as if they can choose to have periods or not. I think we will have to agree to disagree.

As I say I went to school with c. 2000 other girls and it was never a problem. Same when my sister attended, a few years later. You could go to the office if necessary and get a towel, but the embarrassment of having to do so usually meant that girls got organised and brought their own.
  • fabforty
    Options
    but the embarrassment of having to do so usually meant that girls got organised and brought their own.

assuming they had some at home to bring of course. [sigh's and gives up]
  • phryne
    Options
    fabforty wrote: »
    assuming they had some at home to bring of course. [sigh's and gives up]

I knew girls who didn't even have a mum! They still managed to keep themselves decent. Really, having periods isn't a new thing!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    I knew girls who didn't even have a mum! They still managed to keep themselves decent. Really, having periods isn't a new thing!

How does a child of 10 or 11 'keep themselves decent' on their period with no adult willing to help and provide sanitary protection for them to use?
  • phryne
    Options
    How does a child of 10 or 11 'keep themselves decent' on their period with no adult willing to help and provide sanitary protection for them to use?

It's a rare 10 year old that doesn't have a mother, a sister, an aunt, a friend or any female they can approach. However, if that is the case they should of course get the help they require.

The subject of the thread was whether ALL girls should be given sanitary protection free of charge by their school, and for various reasons the answer to that is no.
  • phryne
    Options
    I thought the subject was some schools providing sanpro (doesn't say whether it's every girl or on an ad-hoc basis) even though it only costs 23p, which "people" or the OP felt everyone should be able to afford, so schools shouldn't be providing them at all?

No it doesn't make it clear whether it means it should be supplied on an occasional basis in an emergency (which of course is perfectly ok) or if schools are expected to provide every single girl with all the sanpro they need, which is not only unnecessary but unrealistic.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    “ The home made pads can be made in the same design as commercial pads. They have wings and a press stud on each wing. The wings fold under the underwear and the press studs hold them securely exactly as the wings work on commercial pads but without the glue.
    They can be used also with a nappy pin to hold them in place but it isnt as comfortable as the press stud method .
    Originally posted by culpepper
    In my experience the glue is important... other folk may have different experiences!

Sorry, but I couldn't resist lightening the mood (men best look away now!) My dear late mum was notorious for not reading instructions, with sometimes quite dangerous (the chicken roast-a-bag which blew the oven door off) but often funny results.

Self adhesive sanitary towels (but without the wings) were introduced towards the end of her 'period' life, and she bought a packet to try. She didn't read the instructions and so didn't realise that the glue side was meant to stick the pad to her knickers......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure