Schools providing Sanitary protection

Options

Comments

• fabforty
    Options
    phryne wrote: »
    Stomach ache or headache once a month might have been noticed and picked up on. Or they could just have said they were off with period pains. But I stand by what I said, people back then used to prioritise budgetting for essentials, and sanitary protection is essential. I don't know why millennials are making such a drama out of this (as they do about so many other things we all took in our stride). You'd think they were the first women ever to have periods!

I was also a teen in the 80's, and period poverty happened then too - the only difference was that nobody talked about it or cared. There were girls who missed school (perhaps not a whole week every month, but definitely a few days), and others that either used toilet roll or tissue, or one pad wrapped in toilet roll to make it last all day. It's not a question of millenials making a drama out of periods, however we are talking about the children not the parents, and for a child or teenager who has absolutely no control over the household budget, no money of their own and no control over their periods, to be in a situation when they are bleeding and have no means of dealing with it, is pretty dramatic don't you think?
    I remember sneaking mine out of the house to give to a friend whose mother always seemed to forget to buy her any, even though she would ask. Or would buy one packet and say they had to last - she was accused of 'wasting them'. I remember her humiliation at leaking all over her clothes and chair. I remember another girl caught shoplifting pads from Boots, because she was desperate and had nowhere to turn. The (male) manager actually took pity on her, gave her a few packets and let her go.

As a woman and a mother, I can't imagine a woman leaving her own child so vulnerable and open to humiliation, but the sad fact is, some do. Wanting adequate sanitary protection is not being dramatic, it's a basic human need.
  • This thread is about period poverty. Not whether people took things in their stride.

Nothing helpful to add then eh
    With love, POSR <3
  • Rosemary7391
    Options
    dotchas wrote: »
    And as for sanitary towels not costing more than £3 a month:rotfl:

When I was using pads I actually spent less than £2 a month. Supermarket own brand were fine for me and I had some left over. So it does happen. Not sure how common that is because we don't talk about it much.

Child gets punished for costing the parents' money and is left in no doubt that next time they are in need they can't ask for help from school.

Bad bad result.

Very bad result, but I think having this abuse swept under the carpet would be even worse... almost certainly wouldn't be just about sanitary pads.

bellabella wrote: »
    In all this discussion re useable washable sanitry towels do not seem to have been mentioned better for the environment and after an initial payment or given free then no more issues

I have one but I found it basically useless 'cos it wouldn't stay put. I thought about sewing velcro to it and my knickers but didn't really want to have special underwear just for period days.

I don't think anyone who is not vocally in favour of free tampons in every toilet wants girls to go without. They're just considering it from a different angle and wondering what the best way to get them sanitary protection is - free in school toilets, from the school office or from parents (with aid of cash benefits if need be - not providing specific tampon vouchers isn't the same as not providing any help towards it, and at some level it would be very controlling if we gave benefits in vouchers for each necessity).

I think I'm leaning towards free from school office or similar, no questions asked but gives some visibility. Every kid could be given a couple at an early age so they're aware about it before they start, and there could be more time spent on it when they've all been having periods for a year or two at least. I'd not object to some scheme where they can discuss pros and cons of different reuseable options and get one to try - environmentally friendly and sets them up well for leaving home etc, when they're possibly most likely to have irregular income/trouble budgeting.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    culpepper wrote: »
    Absolutely, a class could be set up to make reusables and include the materials for doing so and be shown how to launder them too.
    One could make them from old fleece material, old cotton (such as brushed cotton pyjamas), old toweling and press studs Or velcro but really press studs are easier and velcro can be scratchy if it comes undone.
    They could be hand stitched .Each girl could make a pattern from paper and then cut her material to shape and make one at school and the others at home.
    Any girl not wishing to use her newly made reusable winged sanitary towel could donate it to the supplies box.
    Some will be more creative and bring their own pretty fleece material but it really doesnt matter what they look like, the only place they are likely ever to be seen by the wider world is hanging on a clothes line and that is easily concealed by hanging something larger in the way.

I'd be fascinated to see how that Textiles lesson went, seeing as last year's classes and the after school club consisted of mostly boys (it's a very popular subject with Afro-Caribbean & African boys - certainly more so than the other creative subjects in the GCSE option block).

[not to say that it wouldn't be successful, it might be a brilliant idea to have 14 year old boys making sanitary towels].
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd be fascinated to see how that Textiles lesson went, seeing as last year's classes and the after school club consisted of mostly boys (it's a very popular subject with Afro-Caribbean & African boys - certainly more so than the other creative subjects in the GCSE option block).

[not to say that it wouldn't be successful, it might be a brilliant idea to have 14 year old boys making sanitary towels].

Your post reminds me of this guy:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26260978

Such a shame that his wife - who was the inspiration for his quest - left him due to it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2018 at 8:08AM
    Options
    The home made pads can be made in the same design as commercial pads. They have wings and a press stud on each wing. The wings fold under the underwear and the press studs hold them securely exactly as the wings work on commercial pads but without the glue.
    They can be used also with a nappy pin to hold them in place but it isnt as comfortable as the press stud method .

As far as carrying blood products in ones bag, the girls are already carrying the clean products and a zip up wash bag can be used to hold used pads until hometime.

Cloth pads were used in pre throw away society . Disposable pads are quite a new thing.

Here is a very interesting article all about their history!!
    https://owlcation.com/humanities/Overview-of-menstrual-pads
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Some people need to use towels and tampons together. I did.
  • phryne
    phryne Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    fabforty wrote: »
    As a woman and a mother, I can't imagine a woman leaving her own child so vulnerable and open to humiliation, but the sad fact is, some do. Wanting adequate sanitary protection is not being dramatic, it's a basic human need.

Negligent parents need to be dealt with I would agree, but is the answer to throw money at them. That's what's being debated here, I suppose.
  • Rosemary7391
    Options
    culpepper wrote: »
    The home made pads can be made in the same design as commercial pads. They have wings and a press stud on each wing. The wings fold under the underwear and the press studs hold them securely exactly as the wings work on commercial pads but without the glue.
    They can be used also with a nappy pin to hold them in place but it isnt as comfortable as the press stud method .

In my experience the glue is important... other folk may have different experiences!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    In my experience the glue is important... other folk may have different experiences!

Mine did not have glue anyway.
    I can see others might have more need.
    With snug underwear and a reasonable thickness they stay put just fine.
    I notice in the oldy worldy versions, some had loops and a belt which I do remember although never used but I suppose such a facility could be incorporated if needed.

My mother did present me with a looped pad and belt when I was about 10 which I stuck in the drawer and never touched again . I have a suspicion the pad may have been a post natal pad as it was ginormous.:eek:
    There was a machine in the girls toilets also where one could buy a single pad with loops and no glued wings or any other form of fixation. I believe they were 2p each back then, which while it was better than nothing, if one did not get pocket money, as I imagine most of us paupers didn't LOL they might as well have cost £2 each.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure