🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Schools providing Sanitary protection

Options

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    I don't see that the financial burden would be insurmountable - it would be a challenge if each school had to arrange this itself and from its own budget, but I don't gather that is the plan. With central purchase and bulk buy savings it should be possible to arrange more cheaply than the total current cost to parents. Not increasing child benefit in line with inflation might be one way to balance the books for this.

Personally speaking, I would be glad if I didn't need to faff with carrying the stuff around with me whenever it might be wanted (or paying vastly more at a dispenser). Seems a very reasonable convenience for girls to have.

I know it's been a long time since I had periods but is it really that much of a faff to carry a couple of tampons in your handbag?
  • sooty&sweep
    Options
    Hi
    My daughter has just started her periods. I've always made sure there are plenty of supplies with no need to ask or discuss.
    I'll be honest and say I'd never considered the concept of period poverty. However I'll be contacting my daughter's school to understand how much of an issue it is. I'll also be offering to donate on a regular basis a contribution to supply of sanitary protection.
    It's ok suggesting that the school should provide but what do they cut to provide them ?
    Jen
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know it's been a long time since I had periods but is it really that much of a faff to carry a couple of tampons in your handbag?

I suppose it would be a whole lot easier if you actually carry a handbag - not everyone does.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Hi
    My daughter has just started her periods. I've always made sure there are plenty of supplies with no need to ask or discuss.
    I'll be honest and say I'd never considered the concept of period poverty. However I'll be contacting my daughter's school to understand how much of an issue it is. I'll also be offering to donate on a regular basis a contribution to supply of sanitary protection.
    It's ok suggesting that the school should provide but what do they cut to provide them ?
    Jen

I agree, maybe approach the PTA and suggest an initiative? I think many people assume that this is an issue that applies to third world countries and not to the UK in 2018.

I called into the ladies in motorway services on Thursday and on the back of the cubicle doors were pleas for just this issue for girls in the third world......

I also saw this on FB this week and I did send some off myself, as it is an allied subject I thought I would copy and repost it here in case anyone else can help too.

Smalls for All - Bra Recycle

BRAS! If your'e having a clear out please note that most charity shops don't take bras but as they often cost us a lot of money they are too nice to throw in the bin.

A UK based charity that sends unwanted bras to African villages to improve hygiene and prevent the rape of young girls and women, as wearing a bra in some villages is a sign of wealth, status and power.

If the bra is too tatty they recycle the material and metal to raise money to buy underwear ,

So if you're throwing out your old bras, whatever state they are in

Free up some space in your drawers , save them from going to landfill

please send them here instead:

Smalls for All
    108 Buchanan Crescent,
    Eliburn, Livingston,
    EH54 7EF
    United Kingdom.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,350 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Information on the Scottish scheme here - which is being funded by the government not schools and colleges. (So the taxpayer both ways, but I have seen no mention of schools having a cut in other budgets):
    https://www.gov.scot/Publications/2018/08/4886/1

Some data on the scale of the issue here:
    https://plan-uk.org/media-centre/1-in-10-girls-have-been-unable-to-afford-sanitary-wear-survey-finds

And more artistically here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/period_poverty?ocid=socialflow_twitter
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Homeagain wrote: »
    In which country do these wages and benefits exist?

England?... Have you bothered to actually check?
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I'd rather see taxes go to provide free sanitary products than to double the royal families income.

Or pay for the security at eugenies wedding
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    I'd rather see taxes go to provide free sanitary products than to double the royal families income.

Or pay for the security at eugenies wedding

The royal family costs on average 69p for each taxpayer. Not even each person in the country. The vast majority of income the royals get is from their own estates and investments.
  • phryne
    phryne Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Also, If the state is supposed to fund free sanitary products, how long's it going to be before another group of worthy needy types come along and demand that they get their essential items free of charge, too?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    phryne wrote: »
    Also, If the state is supposed to fund free sanitary products, how long's it going to be before another group of worthy needy types come along and demand that they get their essential items free of charge, too?

Nobody is suggesting that every menstruating woman gets all their sanitary protection free for life.

This is about schools providing a back up so that the few girls who are most in need of it don't have to miss out on their education because of their periods.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport