Second Hand Car Problems

Options

Comments

• Bank transfer so no Cc protection :-(
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

What I need to know is can they call their own staff to witness as proof in the case? Would seem wrong to me of they can.
    Of course they can, they are witnesses. It's for the judge to decide if they are reliable or not.

The fact they have also offered a goodwill repair will go against you as they are looking to put it right.

Second hand cars are a tricky one for consumer rights simply because wear and tear can happen at any point, whether it's a week or a year after purchase so can't easily be ruled out.

I am confused though you now say no leaks were mentioned in the MOT but you also stated this "The MOT just states that there was no fluid that poses an environmental risk dripping from the car" this doesn't get written on an MOT without reason so was that there on the MOT or not.
  • Thanks for you input I really appreciate it.

If they maintain that the fault was not on the car why would they offer to fix it? The problem I have is the first fault on the car they caused and then failed to fixed and ended up sending it out to Porsche to be fixed. I don't trust them to repair the car properly as it involves taking the engine out. How do I know if they chuck and can of stop leak in it and give it back only to re emerge in a couple of months.

They have claimed in a letter that as a reason why the car did not have the fault when I got it:
    "Prior to when you took delivery, the vehicle underwent independent MOT inspection and testing, The new rules associated to MOT tests include reporting fluid leaks from vehicles. The pass certificate that was issued for the vehicle contained no Advisory Notices."

They also claimed "Following a warranty claim shortly after you purchased the vehicle involving the electronic braking component, your vehicle underwent a routine inspection and repair at the official Porsche deanship in Tonbridge Kent. Has the oil leak been in existence at this time there are no circumstances under which such a leak would not have been reported by the official Porsche deanship."

When asked for a copy of the report from Porsche i got this in response:
    "As to your demand to be provide with a copy of a route inspection undertake at Porsche Tonbridge when they attended the E brake matter, it is a fact that routine vehicle Health Checks are only carried out on a vehicle bough in by consumers customers and not carried out on vehicles associated to trade customers."

So in short they lied or at least based his decisions on bad information.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2018 at 11:04AM
    Options
    You paid £30K cash for a 5 year old Porsche from an independent dealer, but you are not sure what sort of warranty it came with? And this warranty doesn't cover an engine oil leak? I'm struggling with that.
    The dealer can call whatever witnesses it likes in it's defence, the judge will decide whether their employee status makes them reliable or not. Who else would qualify as in impartial witness in your opinion?
    Why did you not put a £100 deposit down on a CC to get you S75 protection?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • I might just love you :)

Yes, It's a 5 year own low is miles with full Porsche service history, The warranty is a comprehensive Drive Train warranty and like a lot dose not cover fluid leaks. If the engine had blown up it would have been covered.

How about someone impartial that has no vested interest in the outcome of the case? AA/RAC inspection, If you are a minimum wage mechanic are you going to contradict what you boss says or risk loosing you job? I think the is the point of the first 6 months on the CRA proof is had to get.

I paid my deposit on my visa card and will look into s75 now.

Thanks

Chris
  • I have posted before about an issue I am having with a second hand car, I've had the car 7 Weeks and it cost £29500.00.

I wish to use my final right to reject but the garage do not agree that the fault was on the car when I got it but they have said they are testing it and are willing to fix it under warranty but I don't trust them to do it as it needs to be done as it a £5k engine out job.

My next step is to look at taking them to Country Court as the value is over £25k. I have sent all the documentation to a solicitor and am waiting a response.

I was advised by "Citizens Advice" to request the garage for their Alternative Dispute Handler and they told me quite bluntly that they did have one and that I was i'll informed if I thought they had to have one! This give you an idea of the tone of these people.

Is taking this to court and really bad idea?
    Has anyone had first hand experience taking something like this to court?
    I believe the court fees are 4.5% of the claim but what costs will I face if I lose? How much cost could I end up paying for the garage? (I am just looking at the worst case on this)

It seems crazy to me that the CRA 2015 is championed as great for consumers but if the cost and risk for the consumer is too great to make it worth while it seems pointless. People will continue to get pushed around by garages that know they can get away with it, I 100% believe the fault was on the car when I got it and it took time to manifest

Thanks

Chris
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why is it going to cost £5000 to fix a leak? Is the seal 24k gold encrusted with diamonds?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• The leak is on the engine block and the engine and front axel need to be dropped and then the block split and e sealed, many hours of work.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why are you considering court when you still have a potential S75 claim?
  • How would s75 Claim work when it's only for £1000 of the £29600 price?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure