Retirement Planning Tools

Options

Comments

• cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,896 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just happened across https://www.standardlife.co.uk/retirement/tools - thought I would share it here.
    Looks like a really quick and simple way to enter a range of things (multiple pensions, pots), for both you and your partner.  
    I like the short summary that builds up a simple bar chart to show they tell you what you have to live on: snip below before it adds a big purple splodge adding in your savings/DC pots to take you to what you can live on.

Slightly odd that they ignore shares you entered: maybe they imagine them all disappearing
    ...but otherwise REALLY fast and REALLY simple.  With no obligation to speak with them at all!

Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • cfw1994
    Options
    westv said:
    Do you have to register to use the Standard Life tool?
    Nope!
    You are asked for email so they can send you a link to return to: I have no problem with that!   Give it a whirl, see what you think!
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a pity the SL calculator assumes all final salary pensions are inflation adjusted.
  • cfw1994
    Options
    westv said:
    It's a pity the SL calculator assumes all final salary pensions are inflation adjusted.
    As in "will go up broadly in line with inflation" ?
    I hadn't especially spotted that...but I know our (small!) ones have some annual increase, so I think that isn't unreasonable.   
    As with anything looking 10/20/30 years ahead, they are only broad guidelines, so I would be happy with that assumption.   
    Do you have a DB pension that remains flat?   That would be unusual, surely?
  • westv
    Options
    cfw1994 said:
    westv said:
    I hadn't especially spotted that...but I know our (small!) ones have some annual increase, so I think that isn't unreasonable.   
    As with anything looking 10/20/30 years ahead, they are only broad guidelines, so I would be happy with that assumption.   
    PPF pension.
    Also, where do you enter a retirement date?

• cfw1994
    Options
    westv said:
    cfw1994 said:
    westv said:
    PPF pension.

PPF?   Pension Protection Fund?   Now I'm confused!
    You get to pick a retirement age after putting in purchases etc.
  • westv
    Options
    cfw1994 said:
    westv said:
    cfw1994 said:
    westv said:
    PPF pension.

PPF?   Pension Protection Fund?   Now I'm confused!
    You get to pick a retirement age after putting in purchases etc.
    Yep. Or FAS as it used to be.
  • westv
    Options
    cfw1994 said:
    westv said:
    Nope!
    You are asked for email so they can send you a link to return to: I have no problem with that!   Give it a whirl, see what you think!
    Yes seems ok. I still don't see anywhere to change the retirement date - it seems to assume I'll retire when my DB pension starts at 60.
  • cfw1994
    Options
    westv said:
    cfw1994 said:
    westv said:
    Nope!
    Yes seems ok. I still don't see anywhere to change the retirement date - it seems to assume I'll retire when my DB pension starts at 60.
    Very odd.  Even if I go back in, I get to choose again:

Did you continue to the point where it showed you an illustration? 

• nbal
    Options

Mrs nbal and I are both 57, both working, a number or DB and DC pensions between us, full state pension and thinking about when to retire. We need a free tool to map out scenarios (lump sum payments, changed pension contributions, lower salary/part-time working, retirement ages, ...) so we can decide what's best for us. Standard Life planner is good, but its difficult to go back and change inputs without SL repeating we need to talk to their retirement people!

Does anyone have any other recommendations/tools? Or has anyone built a spreadsheet they would like to share? I would think there must be quite a few people in our position, and extensive internet searching hasn't turned any decent tools up, especially for couples.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback