Retirement Planning Tools

Options

Comments

• BritishInvestor
    Options
    eh5757 said:

EvolveMyRetirement is far better than RetireEasy, much cheaper, and even starts as free. It's built around Monte Carlo simulation, and that makes a huge difference. What's the point of projecting into the future when so much is uncertain? EMR takes care of all that. And it self-optimises your strategy: seems like magic to me. I had a query about one of the tool's features, and their support team got back to me almost immediately with the help I needed.

It looks like EMR has been designed with professional advisers in mind, but made easier to use so that anyone can use it. Even me!

Am I the only one who has used this? I'm surprised nobody here mentioned it, even though it's apparently been around since 2014.

" It's built around Monte Carlo simulation, and that makes a huge difference."
    Not necessarily in a good way.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,896 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    eh5757 said:

EvolveMyRetirement is far better than RetireEasy, much cheaper, and even starts as free. It's built around Monte Carlo simulation, and that makes a huge difference. What's the point of projecting into the future when so much is uncertain? EMR takes care of all that. And it self-optimises your strategy: seems like magic to me. I had a query about one of the tool's features, and their support team got back to me almost immediately with the help I needed.

It looks like EMR has been designed with professional advisers in mind, but made easier to use so that anyone can use it. Even me!

Am I the only one who has used this? I'm surprised nobody here mentioned it, even though it's apparently been around since 2014.

I've had a quick look.  Looks "okay", but there is no explanation of the numbers, no illustration of HOW it makes decisions.
    It dropped my discretionary spending.   No clear reason why.
    A shame - that would really prove (to me) what is going on in the background.   Reading the premium and standard plan blurb, doesn't look like that would help.

Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eh5757 said:

EvolveMyRetirement is far better than RetireEasy, much cheaper, and even starts as free. I

It's a pity any pricing seems to be hidden away - I assume they want you to log in first.
  • garmeg
    garmeg Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    westv said:
    eh5757 said:

EvolveMyRetirement is far better than RetireEasy, much cheaper, and even starts as free. I

It's a pity any pricing seems to be hidden away - I assume they want you to log in first.

• westv
    Options
    Thanks. How do you get to that info from the website homepage?
  • garmeg
    Options
    westv said:
    I registered and then logged in. I dont think it is worth paying for really. It's a black box and you have no idea what goes on within and the figures make no sense to me (and I have worked in financial services, including pensions, for just over 30 years).
  • westv
    Options
    garmeg said:
    westv said:
    I registered and then logged in. I dont think it is worth paying for really. It's a black box and you have no idea what goes on within and the figures make no sense to me (and I have worked in financial services, including pensions, for just over 30 years).
    Ok. So I was right then that the info is hidden unless you register first. Cheap as it may be, that would put me off.
  • garmeg
    Options
    westv said:
    garmeg said:
    westv said:
    Ok. So I was right then that the info is hidden unless you register first. Cheap as it may be, that would put me off.
    You can still do some basic stuff but you need to register to do that I think.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,896 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I registered and put some numbers in.....it looked faintly reasonable (& more flexible/detailed than cfiresim, for example)....but @garmeg is right, it’s a black box with no way of knowing why is suggested some numbers: for example, it reduced my discretionary spending yet said I was likely to leave an inheritance of over a million....even when I told it I wasn’t interested in leaving anything!
    A shame: I do think it looks a very decent tool, but without seeing what the black box is doing, I don’t feel I can trust it enough.

Given @eh5757 is a first time poster here, I can only imagine they are linked to the tool/website in some way.    Maybe they are Nick May, the human behind the tool 
     Maybe I am wrong: might be quite nice (decent forum etiquette if nothing else!) if they returned to the thread with some answers ;)
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure