Can virgin media refuse services

Options
hi just writing in as today have had a reply from virgin media i have applied in my wifes name as i had services with them before and they then sent a letter 4 months later with a huge bill totalling over 200 quid i then refused to pay unless they would accepts 30 quid a month they then passed it on to a number of debt collectors in which i informed them all have you a cca they have all sent bk the debt to vm and vm keeps passing it on to others today i got a reply from vm saying this

Hi there,

Good news! We?ve had a look and we can connect your home to our Virgin
Media Services.

Unfortunately, there seems to be an outstanding balance at your address.
Although the account is not in your name, we can see from our records
that you were living at the address at the time - so before we can go
any further, we?ll need the amount to be paid off in full.

To continue with your order, or if you have any questions at all, just
give us a ring on 0800 052 7588 (option 1) and we?ll be happy to help.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media Team

i have then replied to this i admit that yes it was in my name which is why my wife has applied for the service on my behalf but have said to them that the debt is in my ex husbands name and he no longer lives here and that if he did have the services i was unaware of this as we had split up and i had moved out since then he has found a new home and does not live here i also stated that i could give a address to him but surely they cannot make someone else pay someones debt its like me saying to everyone on the forum pay my debt surely there is someway round this can anyone offer advice what to do next

Comments

• SPANIEL36
    SPANIEL36 Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    Options
    what they are saying is a load of rubbish. my ex boyfriend had virgin media services and when we split up i rang them gave 30 days notice to cancel the service and stated that he had moved out and gave a forwarding address for him.

about 2 months later i applied for virgin media services in my name and got them even though it was showing an outstanding balance at my address. i had to explain to a few people that it was an ex-boyfriends account and he'd now moved out but i got there eventually.

just beware that when you do get signed up, you will more than likely still have everything to do the self installation stuff...this is really simple but make sure they sign you up to the proper package as i asked for the 2 for 20 quid offer and they didn't give it to me and i didnt realise as on the contract is does say " if you have taken advantage of one of our offers it will not be shown here" they were chargeing me for the separate services which cost a lot more. i've now sorted this out!!

persevere with them and good luck
  • SPANIEL36
    Options
    get your wife to ring up and explain your no longer living there and she wants a fresh account with them
  • scirroccogt
    Options
    yeh this is what ive done in an email if they had sent me the bill at the end of the month it would have been ok the direct debit was set up and they made no attemp to collect monies for 4 months this is not my problem so they should have continued to bill me from that month at a slightly higher rate to pay off the outstanding balance and would have been happy with that but its happened with british gas as well for my electric but thats been 8 months and just switched suppliers it always hapens to me lol
  • normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    Well its just a case of getting your ex partner to pay the debt, they wont connect you until that debt is cleared
  • scirroccogt
    Options
    this is what im sayin mate im still living there however they cannot make someone pay a debt if its not in there name no contract has ever been signed and there is no proof that the service has ever been used by me so that is totally wrong info mate
  • Jada
    Jada Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I'm lost; did you originally have the service and accumulated a £200 bill?
    £3,500 @ 0% with Bank of Scotland - pay off before 05/02/10
    :staradmin£700 @ 3.9% with M&S - pay off whenever as the rate's for life :staradmin
  • scirroccogt
    Options
    no i originally had the service and was not billed for 4 months although direct debit was set up this is not my prob as the money was there each month to pay but after them not taking it ahh it got spent
  • SPANIEL36
    Options
    when you are sending these e-mails are you saying they are from you or the wife?.
    is the wife ok for you to get these services in her name? if so then....

THE WIFE need to speak to customer services, you are bound to get fobbed off with letters and e-mails.

SHE needs to explain everything even if its over and over like i did. The outstanding bill is in your name and you live at XX abc street, chase him for it. The debt is the persons not the house's if that makes sense
  • scirroccogt
    Options
    yes this is what i thought but at the end of the day if the debt collectors cannot recover the money as no cca is there virgin obvously havent got a leg to stand on its been to morrcroft wescot some other company and now a solicitors and still they have sent it back once again surely this is good enough evidence that they cant do s**t lol ill get her to call em and see what they say
  • Jada
    Jada Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    no i originally had the service and was not billed for 4 months although direct debit was set up this is not my prob as the money was there each month to pay but after them not taking it ahh it got spent

Ok, so before you get the services again, why don't you save up the money you would be spending each month until you have £200 to pay it off?

You need to be careful as not paying this has most likely impaired your credit history and if you have any financial links with your wife, it'll affect hers too.

I can understand your frustration that VM could've/should've taken the money each month, but that fact can only be used so far as to negotiate a lesser amount than the £200 for the budgetting inconvinience caused. Saying 'the money got spent' doesn't quite cut it I'm afraid. Just my opinion, which I don't think is unreasonable.

:staradmin Jada :staradmin
    £3,500 @ 0% with Bank of Scotland - pay off before 05/02/10
    :staradmin£700 @ 3.9% with M&S - pay off whenever as the rate's for life :staradmin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure