Forum Home » In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Being pressured to contribute towards fence - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Being pressured to contribute towards fence

85 replies 11.2K views

Replies

• AndyMc.....AndyMc..... PPR
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    WoodyMax wrote: »
    Taking everything into account including your financial situation, that this was rather thrust upon you, and that you had no input into choice and it was his desire to replace the fence, along with the fact the cost seems rather high, I would

Write him a letter and let him know that unfortunately when he asked you about contributing you didn't have the chance to think it through properly (unlike him) and since you had no input into the choice and therefore & more importantly, the cost, along with the fact you have been honest about your financial situation that you will definitely not be contributing. If the fence had been dependent on you contributing he should have discussed price with you first.
    Please also note that should you contact my work again I will report you to the police for harassment. I hope that will not be necessary, but please understand this is now the end of the matter.

Or something like that. If it were me I would shut him down about it completely and do not have him holding this over you. The 'relationship' is probably damaged now anyway when you are dealing with someone like that.

I have a neighbour behind me, who i don't know at all and he wanted to replace three fence panels which form part of my boundary (i have three other people involved in the boundary!). He knocked on my door said he was going to change them and brought a catalogue and said if I didn't like them he would get something else! Of course I said thanks very much and what he chose was fine.
    I tell you this just to show the difference, he sounds like a nasty little man.

Good luck

Did you pay half?
  • WoodyMaxWoodyMax Forumite
    120 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    No Andy Mc I didn't.

He didn't ask me to and if he had I would have said no.
  • edited 1 September 2018 at 8:03PM
    Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2018 at 8:03PM
    gazfocus wrote: »

I don’t want to not pay them anything at all but when we are surviving (only just) on tax credits and a very low income, the money they are asking is just not affordable at the moment.

We have two other sides of fence that are in need of repair and feel that we can’t get our other fence repaired while this is going on because we don’t want further bad feeling. At no point have I told them we won’t contribute, just that we can’t afford to at the moment.
    Explain the above to him and that, given the choice, you would have left the old fence. What was wrong with the old fence and who owned it? It really does sound like you've being railroaded into something you don't want.
    Personally I would tell him you cannot pay and don't feel obliged to. Any bad feeling will be created by him unjustifiably. He arranged for this to be done before consulting you so presumably can afford it. Its arrogant to assume he can do this. While its nice to have a good relationship with your neighbours some are best avoided.

Will you be expecting/demanding your other neighbours contribute to the remaining two fences that need replacing?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    Hate the multi post quote. Hate the stupid 21 "badges" in my profile. Complete waste of space needing to be scrolled past daily to find posts you've commented on. Badges? Is this the Brownies?
  • Is it a £700 job in your opinion and to a decent long lasting standard . If so pay up . If its been a while and you've paid nothing I as your neighbour would be peed off too . Although social media isn't the answer . Did the fence need doing and has it stopped your dogs getting through Pay up . Sorry to be blunt but hes out of pocket
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greenface wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt but hes out of pocket

But it was his choice to change the fence and he made all the decisions about it.

If he couldn't afford it, he should have gone for a cheaper option or brought the OP into the decision-making much earlier on and agreed on the shared costs before putting up the fence.
  • ttolittoli Forumite
    825 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    gazfocus wrote: »

has now taken to messaging my works Facebook page asking about what we do when people don’t pay money they owe.

Technically, I don’t feel I ‘owe’ them anything as any contribution would be wholly voluntary, but if they are going to cause problems for me at work, I’m going to be less inclined to give them anything and it’s going to cause issues down the line I feel.

find the person who is admin for your company FB page , delete the comments and block him, It's not relevant and possibly harmful to your companies image.
  • Red-Squirrel_2Red-Squirrel_2 PPR
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it a £700 job in your opinion and to a decent long lasting standard . If so pay up . If its been a while and you've paid nothing I as your neighbour would be peed off too . Although social media isn't the answer . Did the fence need doing and has it stopped your dogs getting through Pay up . Sorry to be blunt but hes out of pocket

There’s no suggestion that the dogs were escaping, the line in the OP about keeping them in is a reference to the neighbour telling him to keep them in the house that day while there would be no fence up temporarily.
  • scd3scd4scd3scd4 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a £700 job in your opinion and to a decent long lasting standard . If so pay up . If its been a while and you've paid nothing I as your neighbour would be peed off too . Although social media isn't the answer . Did the fence need doing and has it stopped your dogs getting through Pay up . Sorry to be blunt but hes out of pocket

I would be peed off if you pick the fence, have the better side and tried to get me to pay half with no receipt.

He is not out of pocket. He was going to have the fence done regardless and asking for a contribution is not half. Sorry to be blunt but its important you get all the facts right first!
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    4.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it a £700 job in your opinion and to a decent long lasting standard . If so pay up .

A bit difficult if you don't have £368 to spare.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • edited 3 September 2018 at 12:20AM
    greenfacegreenface Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 3 September 2018 at 12:20AM
    EssexExile wrote: »
    A bit difficult if you don't have £368 to spare.
    So how much can the OP spare ? OP how much have you paid so far ? He told you he was putting the fence up and you said you would contribute to it . roughly how long ago did he put the fence up ?
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool: