Being pressured to contribute towards fence

Replies

• If you got on before then I'd be tempted to try and resolve it as amicably as possible. Not because I think your neighbour deserves that after harassing you online and trying to cause you problems at work, but just because you have to live next door to him!

Go over, say that you don't want to fall out with good neighbours just because of a misunderstanding over a fence. Say that you thought you'd made it clear you couldn't contribute right now but would have been willing to in the future and that still stands, and offer a timeframe and an amount. See what he says, take it from there.
  • edited 1 September 2018 at 12:19PM
    Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    11K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2018 at 12:19PM
    fezster wrote: »

From what you have told us, I read it as the neighbour being a little cheeky to ask for 50% on a fence he was probably already putting up a week later
    The fence was being put up the following day.
    "the owner of the house behind ours knocked on our door and told us that the following day, the fence in between our gardens was being replaced so to keep our dogs inside"
    I'm not a cat.
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    £700 for six bays? Wow.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • gazfocusgazfocus Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies.

I don’t want to not pay them anything at all but when we are surviving (only just) on tax credits and a very low income, the money they are asking is just not affordable at the moment.

We have two other sides of fence that are in need of repair and feel that we can’t get our other fence repaired while this is going on because we don’t want further bad feeling. At no point have I told them we won’t contribute, just that we can’t afford to at the moment.

As for the fence itself, they have chosen quite an expensive fence - each fence panel was £25, concrete bases were £7.50 each and concrete posts were £9.50, so we’ve worked out 50% would be about £140 (for 6.5 panels and bases and 7 posts). So they are trying to say 50% of the labour cost is £220 which seems an awful lot.

Maybe I should ask them for a breakdown of the labour costs, then offer them a monthly amount to try and salvage the relationship.
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gazfocus wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

I don’t want to not pay them anything at all but when we are surviving (only just) on tax credits and a very low income, the money they are asking is just not affordable at the moment.

We have two other sides of fence that are in need of repair and feel that we can’t get our other fence repaired while this is going on because we don’t want further bad feeling. At no point have I told them we won’t contribute, just that we can’t afford to at the moment.

As for the fence itself, they have chosen quite an expensive fence - each fence panel was £25, concrete bases were £7.50 each and concrete posts were £9.50, so we’ve worked out 50% would be about £140 (for 6.5 panels and bases and 7 posts). So they are trying to say 50% of the labour cost is £220 which seems an awful lot.

Maybe I should ask them for a breakdown of the labour costs, then offer them a monthly amount to try and salvage the relationship.

What was wrong with the old fence that they took down?

Whose is the boundary?

I find it a little rude they didn't consult you on the fence when they are expecting you to now pay half.

Write to them:

Dear neighbour,
    When you came round to my house on DATE and asked if I would contribute to the fence, I agreed to contribute as and when I could afford to.
    As our finances are very tight, it would have been nice to have been consulted on the costs before going ahead.
    Your price of £X is unfortunately beyond our budget, but we are happy to contribute £120 towards the fence at £5 a week. Please supply me with your bank details so I can set up a direct debit.
    Kind regards...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • David_AstonDavid_Aston Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Is there not the question of who is responsible for the fence? As shown on Deeds? I think that I am responsible for one side and the back fence of our property. If approached by either perfectly decent neighbour about replacement I would say certainly, when funds allow!
  • AndyMc.....AndyMc.....
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there not the question of who is responsible for the fence? As shown on Deeds? I think that I am responsible for one side and the back fence of our property. If approached by either perfectly decent neighbour about replacement I would say certainly, when funds allow!

No, the deeds will show who's responsible for the boundary. The fence belongs to who paid for it.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the fence was put in the day after your neighbour came to see you, he must have originally planned to pay for it all himself.

If he needed you to share the cost, he should have started discussions with you before anything was decided and you should have had a say in the costs.

You may want to offer him something on the basis of what you said to him but you're certainly under no obligation to do so.
  • scd3scd4scd3scd4 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the receipt.

He pick the fence and I assume has the prettier side on he's side.............."here is a £125 in full settlement. Take it or leave it."

Just tell your company its a personal matter and they should block him.
  • WoodyMaxWoodyMax Forumite
    137 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Taking everything into account including your financial situation, that this was rather thrust upon you, and that you had no input into choice and it was his desire to replace the fence, along with the fact the cost seems rather high, I would

Write him a letter and let him know that unfortunately when he asked you about contributing you didn't have the chance to think it through properly (unlike him) and since you had no input into the choice and therefore & more importantly, the cost, along with the fact you have been honest about your financial situation that you will definitely not be contributing. If the fence had been dependent on you contributing he should have discussed price with you first.
    Please also note that should you contact my work again I will report you to the police for harassment. I hope that will not be necessary, but please understand this is now the end of the matter.

Or something like that. If it were me I would shut him down about it completely and do not have him holding this over you. The 'relationship' is probably damaged now anyway when you are dealing with someone like that.

I have a neighbour behind me, who i don't know at all and he wanted to replace three fence panels which form part of my boundary (i have three other people involved in the boundary!). He knocked on my door said he was going to change them and brought a catalogue and said if I didn't like them he would get something else! Of course I said thanks very much and what he chose was fine. I tell you this just to show the difference, he sounds like a nasty little man.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides