Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Landlord wants more money - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

Landlord wants more money

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
127 replies 16.2K views

Replies

• If you're staying for your full term which the nice people on here seem to be saying is within yor legal right, I'd be considering changing the barrel so of your locks so the landlord can't turn up unannounced. Given the lackadaisical approach they and their agent seem to be taking I wouldn't put it past them.
  • Bass_9Bass_9 Forumite
    151 posts
    Absolutely, change the locks!
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Trust G_M, Pixie, (me) :)

I'm not judging anyone else because lots of people has been correct, but if you get 2 of the 3 saying the same thing you're onto a winner.

As above, been a here a while and these 3 know what are talking about.
    5.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jm90 wrote: »
    I had another call from the estate agents today, saying the landlord is still returning and wants the house back by the end of November, he has offered to pay our moving costs upto the total of £300 for us to leave.
    I said we have a tenancy and she said yes, until Feb, so I said that the one I have here which is until August which she said she would check.
    However when she came back just said to talk it over with my husband about moving, no more mention of the tenancy length.

They know it's August 2019 so trying to avoid the answer and say this instead.
  • Rosemary7391Rosemary7391 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    You have 2 choices.

1) Stick to your guns and see out your legally binding 12 month AST.

2) Present your terms for agreeing an early surrender. I can guarantee that if the shoe were on the other foot the landlord would want more than an extra £300 if you wanted to end the tenancy early. If you are prepared to move early you tell them when you're prepared to move i.e. you could move out next month and pick a number greater than £300.

Re number 2 - if I remember rightly I think OP was heavily pregnant? If that were me I'd argue for the full cost of a removal service who do all the packing and at least a week of overlap. OP could get some quotes.
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
  • Jm90Jm90 Forumite
    117 posts
    Hi all, yes I defintily felt she avoided telling me that I had until August, they just seem to think that because they have told me on the phone he wants the house, 2 month notice is happening because of the landlords personal reasons.

I do worry they may start turning up or the landlord. Legally can they do that unannounced?
    Am I within my rights to have the locks changed without permission from them?

Yes I am pregnant and due December 15th, they want us out by the end of November.

I would definitely ask for more should want to be from here but what with everything happening and so close to Christmas I just cannot deal with the stress of moving house again.

Thanks all
    5.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jm90 wrote: »
    Am I within my rights to have the locks changed without permission from them?

Yes, keep the old one to change back when you leave next year.
  • No way would I be moving just before (or just after!) giving birth. A lack of planning on his part does not constitute an emergency on your part. Even if the 6 month agreement was valid that still doesn't mean he can have it back in November.

If you decided to break the contract and leave early you would possibly have to pay the entire remainder of the contract value so I don't see why he should only pay £300. Deposit, first month's rent and moving costs at the very least.
  • Jm90Jm90 Forumite
    117 posts
    Thanks pixie, yes exactly how I feel, I worded an email to them however I decided to leave sending it for now until/if they actually send me a notice of some sort.

I'm so greatful for you all taking the time to respond to me, I can actually sleep at night without worry. X
  • m0bovm0bov Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Tell the agent you will only communicate in writing to the ll. might also be worth speaking with your local pcso in case they do start to intimitate.